Thread: Where do you guys buy minnows around Asheville/Hendersonville?

Default Where do you guys buy minnows around Asheville/Hendersonville?

I get mine in Waynesville now, but that takes me 15 miles out of the way when I leave work if I am fishing in Buncombe or Henderson counties- any place closer?

Default Re: Where do you guys buy minnows around Asheville/Hendersonville?

Franklins Outdoor Sports on Haywood Rd in west asheville. I think the Medium size are around 3.50 a doz.

Franklins on Haywood Road West Asheville

They have golden shiners

Found a bait shop on Brevard Road, get off at the I-26 exit and turn like you are going to I-40 and he is up abotu 1/4 mile on the left. $3.50 a dozen for large ones and $3.00 a dozen for small, plus he has nightcrawlers, wax worms, green worms, and crickets.

It is a combination bait shop and tire shop, so you might have to wait for him to finish mounting a tire to get your bait, but it is a lot easier to get to than Franklins for where I drive and fish.
    gambusia likes this.

I forgot about that place chief I didn't answer because I was thinking Franklin's, and I don't really care to advertise for them

Franklin's is not what it used to be. If you are looking for anything other than worms, minnows, crickets or plain old hooks and sinkers you are outta luck. I would love to find a really good bait and tackle shop around here in WNC but so far no luck. Some place that carried a variety of things that I normally have to order form the internet. I was saying to my hubby the other day when my last little one starts school, I was thinking about doing just that. I'm just not satisfied with what Wal-mart or the local bait shops carry and don't like waiting a week to get my internet order. Alot of times my trips are spur of the moment or next day or two so I need a better option- lol!

hear what you are saying. I hate wal-mart, just for the fact that they never carry anything I need or want, our Dick's sporting goods has to be the most pathetic one, tons of what you do not want and always out of what you need. I love curtis wright outfitters,( weaverville) I may spend .50 cents or a dollar more on the item I want, it's worth not having to put up with rude fellow shoppers, the traffic and looking through 7 acres of stuff I have no use for. They always have what I want and what is popular with the locals. just my opinion I agree with you about franklins too, but they just couldn't compete with the big chain stores on their lures. That's another reason I avoid wally world, they are driving most local tackle shops into oblivion.

There is a place in Yancey County called Coopers Trading Co. They have a great selection of all sorts of bait. It is right off 19-E before you cross the cane river (coming from asheville). Its a bit of a drive for all you guys that live around asheville, but if you are ever out that way its worth checking out.

There is also a new place in Fletcher featured in the paper.

I need to check it out.

Called Heritage Outdoors.

If you need rosy red minnows or crickets you can get them at WNC Aquarium and Imports just down from the Ingles in Fletcher

Most pets shops in Asheville also carry crickets and meal worms
    livetofishinnc likes this.

Since you live in Waynesville, try heading west toward Andrews/Robbinsville (and Fontana Lake). There is a bait shop there on the right about two miles before you exit from 74 onto highway 28 toward Fontana. I think the name of it is Smokey Mountain Trading Post or Outpost (I can't remember which). You can buy shiners by the POUND ($12-14 per pound and they are very generous).

I've set up a small tank in a nearby creek at my home such that there is constant water flow through the tank. With fresh water flow and a crushed up dog biscuit once in awhile, the minnows will live for weeks.

Good luck

CaptCatFish

Quote Originally Posted by gambusia View Post

If you need rosy red minnows or crickets you can get them at WNC Aquarium and Imports just down from the Ingles in Fletcher

I took your advice and checked this angle out yesterday.

Rosy Reds $.10 each! Cha-ching! Better than half they had were actually regular strain fathead minnows. I got 100 to help supplement the pond in my development as the forage fish are few and far between since it was lowered last summer. I will likely get 100 more next week.

They said they were told by a park ranger that fishing with them was illegal, I told them that since the Rosy Reds were just a strain of the fathead, and they are native to the area, that it is legal.

I can't say I feel good about that alligator stuck in an an aquarium like it is....

They have a gator and a caiman

Pretty cool until the legislature bans them- which there is a bill to do just that

That store also sells bluegill sunfish, bullfrog tadpoles and albino channel catfish

PetsMart stores in Asheville also sell fathead minnows at 12 cents each and small goldfish

Super Petz on Brevard Road has feeder goldfish and other feeders but I rarely go there. Not sure how much they cost.

A good way to raise fathead minnows is in an outdoor tub. Fill it with water plants and a small flower pot or jar or two for the minnows to spawn in.

Fathead minnows lay their eggs in caves, under rocks or on the underside of plants.

Not really the Asheville/Hendersonville area but, here is a late addition and maybe already known by yall, but I visited a fairly nice bait shop in the Waynesville area yesterday. I believe the name was Waynesville Bait and Tackle. It is located on Old Balsam Rd near the new Walmart. The had a very good selection of live bait (several types of worms, crickets, minnows) and the prices are reasonable. Wasn't buying any minnows yesterday, but $2/dozen small; $3.50 dozen med; $5 dozen large are the prices I recall.

Not sure how helpful this will be, but thought I would throw it out there anyway.
    gambusia likes this.

Prices sound OK