NC Angler Forums banner

Fishin the Dan River

River 
31K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  cdeath 
#1 ·
:eek: Dan river has allways had good fish in it;
Located in Stokes co. and running through North carolina it has
several feeder creeks as well as the little Dan. Little Dan an big Dan meets
just below the VA line. They have stocked it well with a variaty of trout.
Yesterday a few of us went there and had a ball!
Each catching our limit and I don't know how many got away!
The largest one was a small rainbow at 16 inches and most were browns.
Nothing like it !Last week a young lady caught an 7 lb female rainbow and there
were a couple of 5 plus browns caught as well! Gonna try for the big brown
today!
Tight lines
Hookeye :eek:

#6 ·
:) Take 704 to 89, turn right,go thru Francisco to Asbury rd.

Turn right. End of Asbury rd. turn right on Collinstown rd. sr1432
Around 2 miles to Elastic Plant rd. sr1422 Turn left, Half mile on
the left , in a right hand turn you'll see a white gated fence with a
NC wildlife resource sign. Turn in and park here. It's a 200 yard walk,
but it's all flat. Just follow the road and the wader tracks and you'll
come to a wooden bridge. That's Little Dan. Cross the bridge , go
left 40 yards and you'll come into the forks of Dan and Little Dan .
Good spot! Fish On!
Hope these directions can help.:)

#10 ·
A Good Friend just informed me of catchin a 23/38" Hookmouth Brown on

the Dan! 5.4 pounds!
So MY WIFE AND I SET OUT FOR A DAY ON THE DAN ,AT THE OLD INDIAN
CARVINGS , AND HAD A BLAST!!!
SHE CAUGHT THREE IN THE FIRST FIVE CASTS',TWO BROOKS AND A RAINBOW.
ALL WENT 15" PLUS!!
MYSELF , I CAUGHT A 24" HOOKMOUTH BROWN!!!!:)
HE WAS IN NO DISTRESS, SO I REALEASED HIM! HEALTHY FOR ANOTHER DAY! OTHERS SEEN HIM AND WERE AMAZED! AND THEN WANTED TO KICK
MY BEHIND FOR SETTING HIM FREE!! NO NET , JUST CAUGHT HIM , FAUGHT
HIM , AND LET HIM GO! NO HARM THERE NOW WAS IT? :)
YOUR BROTHER IN BROWNS;'

HOOKEYE:cool:

#11 ·
Who sells Yo-Zuri lures in the area? I am in Winston-Salem. I went to their web site and saw that they sell quite a wide variety of lures. I took your excellent
directions two weeks ago and hooked two nice browns with a Rebel Crankbait.
Again I appreciate the directions. I fished up about 1/2 mile above the fork
(above the footbridge) and down about 3/4 mile to where the river gets pretty
deep and noticed some large rock outcroppings across the bank-Is this the Indian Carvings? Any specifics on the yo-zuri would be appreciated. From
what I gather talking to some of the locals, rooster tails are a popular lure
once the spawn begins.

Thanks!

#12 ·
:) Hello Sir Hibbly

Glad you made it down there.
If you're hooking into those browns, you're using the right lures.:)
White 1/4 ounce roostertails are working pretty good now.
As far as the carvings, they are at least 4 miles or so ,as the river flows
down from there. Whew ,what a hike! Yesterday there was a hatch of
caddis flys, and you know what they say,match the hatch. Sandy brown.;)
My wife and I hiked at least 5 miles yesterday, caught 8 average size,
missed I don't know how many! We done this to break in our 20th anniversary, as well as our waders!:) Smoked trout for dinner tonight!
I was told that they may stock next Wednesday , don't know for sure.
Maybe we'll catch ya down there some time.Till then, keep your lines tight and your hooks sharp! Fish on!

#13 ·
Hello, I'm new to this website and to North Carolina. I joined because of this particular topic. I am very interested in trying out the Dan. Do any of you guys fly fish at this spot? And, how deep is it? -my waders only come up to my waist. I want to try it next wed. -the 18th. It will be a two hour drive so I want to have the right gear.

#15 ·
Hi evryone;

I'm from the north and moved in NC 1991, and haven't found any place to fish for Muskie, Pike and Smallies. What kind of fish do the Dan river hold. I read that it covers Trout and most likly LMBass. I live in Rockingham county near Va. boarder. We have the Dan and Smith which goes through this county.:confused:

#16 ·
dennis, if you want muskies and smallies, you gotta come west. the New river holds some muskies, but there not as numerous as on the french broad ( the area near brevard is lousy with them) if you want size, lake adger in polk county is the ticket, but its mostly trolling and the access area is a bear to find if you are not familiar with the area. as for small mouths I think the dan MAY hold some, but I might be mistaken. the new river near near boone is a great river and i think it would be the closest one to you.

#17 ·
Dennis,

I am also from the north and interested in catching smallmouth. (I miss the walleye too) I recently fished the Dan River in Stokes county. I met up with Hookeye there and he caught a smallmouth on a small crankbait. No one up there said much about smallmouth but I was wondering if they were a little farther downstream. I was also wondering about the Smith. Have you tried it yet, or has anyone on here fished it? I look forward to reading more on this topic, and I hope you find some musky and smallies.

#18 ·
I agree Redfishtom;

The New river has a lot of smallys in it as well as muskys.
As from what I've heard they are plentyfull.
Alot of anglers use live minnows as well as husky jerks,and seem to do very well there. If you can seine some hellgramites, I think you'll do even better as far as the smallys' allthough they are hatching down here at an allarming rate! Also angel worms do well too.
AS far as walleyes,the only place that I know of is Talbert in VA
and Clator lake ,also in VA. I'm currently checking in on some walleye
fishing in a few lakes in NC.
There are some smallys in the Dan for sure!
Ketchunanee;
When you turned on Collinstown rd. you may have seen a old mill
on the right hand side as we were leaving that area to go to Flippens bottom. At the mill, if you park to the side of the gate, walk around the old mill and follow a trail through some brush, It's an easy tram up to a small dam that you can see from the bridge from the road. I talked about some good fishing in that area. You can park on either side of the bridge at the white fence or accross the bridge at the mill
gate.At the dam there is anything from trout , smallys , catfish.
It's a very good place to bank fish or wade! Sometimes at the dam
you can watch trout try to jump up the wall! It's a very good place to just get away,and enjoy!
5 pound smally has been caught here as well as 6 pound rainbow.
Hellgramites really work well, corn as well as nightcrawlers.
However you may need to take a spinning reel along with your fly rod. Above the dam in places holds some trout too!!
You can wade down stream on the right side and hit some really nice runs!!! That's where they have caught 5 pound smallys at!
As it allways is , the right place at the right time is a plus.
Usually whenever the Dan is pressured hard, that seems to be a productive little place.
Also season opens on Mitchell river in the delayed harvest waters on
June 4th, these waters are open to fishing under hatchery supported regulations-no bait restrictions,no minimum length limit, and seven
trout per day creel limit. These waters are marked with black and white signs.
I suggest that anyone that is willling to fish here needs to be there at
no later than 5:00 am. to find good parking, as well as fishing spots!
It opens at 6:00 am.
I can tell you it's alot of fun! As well as over stocked!!!!
Bigguns!!!! Fly or spinning reels, bring them both as I can also tell ya where some of the people won't be and the trout will!
Your fellow angler
Hookeye

#20 ·
Hookeye,
When you speak of Crossingham Rd is that Collinstown Rd? I remember seeing the dam and old mill on the way to and from Elastic Plant Rd, But I thought I saw posted no tresspassing signs.It looks like an area with great potential.
Unfortunately my last trip to the access on Elastic Plant Rd. produced no fish-but poison ivy.:(

Thanks!

#22 ·
Sorry about the poison oak, sometimes thats all I catch there too.:(

As far as the old mill, it is posted but they allow you to fish it anyway. I never have been asked to leave that area. Alot of people go to the dam. As long as it is taken care of I don't think there will be any problems of keeping access. 6 pound rainbow caught there early this spring! And my best friend caught several 16" plus trout there this year
too. Waiting to hear from him about Mitchell today. I'm sure he done very well. On another topic, if you turn left on Collinstown and go around 4 miles to a stop sign, then turn right Asbury Church on the right, go to the bottom of that hill, a couple of miles, you'll see a bridge. Park there. You should see a wooden crossing into a horse
pasture. You'll be at Flippens bottom.Not a bad spot at all. It gets alot pressure there but you can usually find some trout up or downstream from here.Kinda close for fly fishin but not too bad.
Good luck:)
Hookeye

PS;
There has been a paint mare in that field, she's very timmed and pretty! No worrys:)

#26 ·
To those looking for walleye and smallies. Smallies can be caught in most rivers and western lakes. I have caught decent smallies in most larger trout waters. The best fish seem to come from the lower portions of the trout water. I know of a 3 lb smallie the came from the Yadkin last year around 421 bridge. Lakes in the western part of the state have smallie too. As for walleyes Hiwassee near the Georgia /Tennesee boarder and lake James near Morganton hold walleye. Haven't fished much for either species so some one may give you more details for which area to fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.