Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: no there are no 500 pound catfish under the old dam

Default no there are no 500 pound catfish under the old dam

Many of you may have heard myths like this, maybe even this one(yes Thomas Cuttler) that picture you where showed was a whels catfish or a pera ara(SP) or a mekong catfish or any of the other huge catfish in the world. I heard one about a '24 foot shark caught off the "sand bridge" pier in VA beach and the coast gaurd hadto help them with it, that is a lot of bull. Don't ever think it is real, if a fisherman tells you something don't buy it!

Default Re: no there are no 500 pound catfish under the old dam

Well said-NO there are no catfish the size of a volkswagon at the Bottom of the dam. Regardless of who says, "my brother`s uncle`s cousin, Vinnie is a a scuba diver and .... yada yada"
    I actually got a email the other day about a catfish that was eating people somewhere overseas, and they caught it and it had people in it, blah, blah blah. I looked at the picture and it was a juvenile WHALE SHARK.
    Here`s a tip.
    If anybody asks you "hey did you see that email ?"
    Just say "yes I did, can you believe that ?"
    If you didn`t get it it just means you`re not on the mailing list for stupid.
    "Them Hardcore boys"

How about those 20 foot long rattlesnakes?

Bigfoot?, Chubacra?, Nessie?, Champ?, Man-eating Squid?

Surely these things must all exist.

I don't know about 500 pound cats, but strange things do happen. Here is a excerpt from the true story that inspired "Jaws."

The final attacks took place in Matawan Creek near the town of Matawan on Wednesday, July 12. Located 30 miles (48 km) north of Spring Lake and 16 miles (26 km) inland, Matawan resembled a Midwestern town rather than an Atlantic beach resort.[13] Matawan's location made it an unlikely site for shark attacks. When Thomas Cottrell, a sea captain and Matawan resident, spotted an 8-foot (2 m) long shark in the creek, the town dismissed him.[14] Around 2:00 p.m. local boys, including Lester Stillwell, 12, were playing in the creek at an area called the Wyckoff dock when they saw what appeared to be an "old black weather-beaten board or a weathered log." A dorsal fin appeared in the water and the boys realized it was a shark. Before Stillwell could climb from the creek, the shark attacked him and pulled him underwater.[15]
    The boys ran to town for help, and several men, including local businessman Watson Stanley Fisher, 24, came to investigate. Fisher and others dove into the creek to find Stillwell's body, and he too was attacked by the shark in front of the townspeople. Fisher was pulled from the creek without recovering Stillwell's body. His right thigh was severely injured and he bled to death at Monmouth Memorial Hospital in Long Branch at 5:30 p.m.[16] Stillwell's body was recovered 150 feet (46 m) upstream from the Wyckoff dock on July 14.[17]
    The fifth victim, Joseph Dunn, 14, of New York City was attacked a half mile from the Wyckoff dock nearly 30 minutes after the attacks on Stillwell and Fisher. The shark bit his left leg, but Dunn was rescued by Matawan residents while warning other creek bathers and was taken to Saint Peter's University Hospital in New Brunswick. He recovered and was released September 15, 1916.[18]

I think that you forgot to cover Whompus Cats and the Beast of Bolovia.

There have been large Cephalopods that have been documented attacking divers and fisherman.

Humboldt Squid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Colossal Squid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks Backlash! I knew I missed a few.

Breadman, they attributed those attacks in N.J. to a Bull Shark which is known to go way up into tidal creeks. Of course, Jaws was set on Long Island, not TOO far away and involved a Great White, which IS found off of Long Island, New York. In fact the guy that played the role of the Shark Fisherman (can't remember his name-Mungo or something but he got ate in the movie) was based on a real character from Montauk, Long Island.
    Bread Man 1 likes this.

Bull sharks have attacked as far north as St. Louis up the Mississippi River, and there has also been attacks in the Great Lakes. Maybe some monsters do exist.................

Bull shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm still tossing tow hooks baited with country hams by the dam just in case youre wrong!
    Bread Man 1 likes this.

* With "Self regulation", comes "De-regulation". Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws * *PROUD RED X ANGLER*

Bull Sharks are more than likely responsible for all attacks up north that inspired "jaws"

Another letter to The New York Times blamed the shark infestation on the maneuvers of German U-boats near America's East Coast. The anonymous writer claimed, "These sharks may have devoured human bodies in the waters of the German war zone and followed liners to this coast, or even followed the Deutschland herself, expecting the usual toll of drowning men, women, and children." The writer concluded, "This would account for their boldness and their craving for human flesh."[44]
    Decades later, there is no consensus among researchers over Murphy and Lucas's investigation and findings. Richard G. Fernicola published two studies of the event, and notes that "there are many theories behind the New Jersey attacks," and all are inconclusive.[45] Researchers such as Thomas Helm, Harold W. McCormick, Thomas B. Allen, William Young, Jean Campbell Butler, and Michael Capuzzo generally agree with Murphy and Lucas.[46] However, the National Geographic Society reported in 2002 that "some experts are suggesting that the great white may not in fact be responsible for many of the attacks pinned on the species. These people say the real culprit behind many of the reported incidents—including the famous 1916 shark attacks in New Jersey that may have served as inspiration for Jaws—may be the lesser known bull shark."[47]
    Biologists George A. Llano and Richard Ellis suggest that a bull shark could have been responsible for the Jersey Shore attacks. Bull sharks swim from the ocean into freshwater rivers and streams and have attacked people around the world. In his book Sharks: Attacks on Man (1975), Llano writes,

Quote Originally Posted by sundrop View Post
    I'm still tossing tow hooks baited with country hams by the dam just in case youre wrong!
    I wish you good luck with that one!! If you need to borrow a chainsaw to fillet that monster, just let me know.lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_...ttacks_of_1916
    sundrop likes this.

Actually, Peter Benchley, who wrote Jaws, supposedly was inspired by a Great White caught by Mundus off of Amagansett in the 60's according to the article I just linked. But who knows for sure. Anyway, there's some REAL monsters out there in the ocean!

Quote Originally Posted by h2ohhh View Post
    How about those 20 foot long rattlesnakes?

Surely these things must all exist.
    Nope, I would be the one to awnser this, if a rattle snake where to live long enough it could because they have indetermanent growth just like fish.

Quote Originally Posted by h2ohhh View Post
    there's some REAL monsters out there in the ocean!

Yes there are, I have seen them and caught a few big ones, I like to shark fish but my biggest is still only about four feet.

well, a couple of service guys were at the house one day and we were talking about catfish. he said he heard from someone who heard from some police officer who either were part of the dive or heard it from one of the divers at the time they were looking for missing boater in the lower Nuese River and saw a monster catfish, among other things.
    when's a noob no longer a noob...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast