Thread: Price Park Lake Help

Default Price Park Lake Help

Hello to all,

I am new to this forum and have fished exclusively along the coast. We are planning a family camping trip to Julian Price Park and I was wondering about the fishing there. I truly have no clue what to expect or what tackle to take or if it is even worth fishing. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Steve Hudson
    Wilmington, NC

Reply in Meet and Greet.
    Are fishermen all liars?

Crummy,

Thanks again for the help. I will let you know how we make out.

Price Park Lake has a few trout from time to time. In recent years, it has been full of shiner minnows. Chum them with bread crumbs. Do not throw a cast net since it it is designated trout water! Use little bity single hooks, #18-#22 and 2 or 3x tippet on a stick baited with tiny breadballs and catch a bucketfull. Then hustle up the parkway to Bass Lake in Blowing Rock and use the shiners to catch 'em big ole bass! Lots of fun and legal too. Enjoy two lakes within a few miles of each other. Although I have never done this, I know folks who do. I thought it worth mentioning.
    Andy
    Relay 4 Life
    May the sea lice of a thousand striper infest your fishbox!

Trout Lake is also there beside of Bass Lake.
    Are fishermen all liars?

Thanks to all for the help. Is it legal to use a dip net to get the shiners?

nooooo!! don't get caught collecting fishbait from a trout water. (other than hook and line) I speak from experience

Thanks for the heads up. I may haul a Sabaki (sp?) rig up with me and see how that does. I want to thank everyone again for all of the help. I loaded up with some spinners the other night at Wally-World and will probably tackle up some more when I get up there.

Notice my suggestion again about hooks and nets. All nets are prohibited in trout water! Use only hooks! Also I have doubts that sabiki will be legal since it is a multiple hook device. The only double hook rig that I am aware of being legal is tying a wet fly dropper from the curve of the dry fly hook when fly fishing. One could argue that the double hook if legal on fly water should be legal in Price lake too. I would use a single hook to avoid having the discussion. I've heard you can catch the minnows as quickly as you can bait and drop.
    Andy
    Relay 4 Life

Just got back from the trip yesterday and had a blast. We didn't get to get out and about to fish as much as we wanted but did get to do quite a bit at Price Lake. I bet I spent roughly $40 on spinners, trout bait, etc. before we went up there and ended up having the best luck with canned corn. I also learned a valuable lesson about fishing with my son. I have forgotten the joy of catching fish no matter how big they are. We were catching a ton of small (3"-4") brim or whatever the fish are up there and I kept thinking that we needed to move to try to get into some bigger fish. When I suggested this to my son (8yrs old) he couldn't figure out why we should move if we were catching fish. He had more fun (and I did just watching him) catching the small fish then I do spending an entire day off-shore catching tuna and the likes. Now that I have remembered what fishing is all about I can't wait to get back in the salt water here with the ultra-light gear and some shrimp to tear up the pinfish. BTW shortly after I said we should move to try to get some bigger fish he ended up hooking a 13" trout on the corn! Made the whole trip worth it. I also wanted to note that we did end up catching a but load of extra large shiners on the corn. Didn't have a way to keep them so we just threw them back.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Also glad to hear you found some trout. What kind of trout? Taking a kid fishing is what it is all about. Certainly does make things come into prespective. On the flip side, they will remember it for a long time to come.
    Are fishermen all liars?

Rule #1-- NEVER FISH WHERE THERE ARE NO FISH
    Rule #2-- NEVER LEAVE FISH TO GO FIND MORE FISH.
    ...especially if your partner is eight years old. You did a good thing pal. Nicely done!
    Relay 4 Life

I am kind of embarrassed to admit it but I don’t even know what kind of trout it was. All I can tell you for sure is that it was not a speckled trout or a gray trout…they are the only trout I am familiar with. It was from Price Lake so it probably was whatever kind of trout that they stock. We cooked it up on the fire for breakfast which my son got a big kick out of. I still can’t get my daughter interested in fishing but that may come with time. My wife love to fish but she is a 100% releaser which normally doesn’t bother me unless we are down in Santee fishing for catfish. I want to thank everyone again for all of the help and suggestions on how to fish up there. At least I now have the tackle to make more trips up there. After getting a taste of the cool summer weather in the mountains I am sure we will be heading back up. Is the fishing up there seasonal where there are certain times of the year that the fishing is better?

Quote Originally Posted by Shelben
    I am kind of embarrassed to admit it but I don’t even know what kind of trout it was. All I can tell you for sure is that it was not a speckled trout or a gray trout…they are the only trout I am familiar with. It was from Price Lake so it probably was whatever kind of trout that they stock. We cooked it up on the fire for breakfast which my son got a big kick out of. I still can’t get my daughter interested in fishing but that may come with time. My wife love to fish but she is a 100% releaser which normally doesn’t bother me unless we are down in Santee fishing for catfish. I want to thank everyone again for all of the help and suggestions on how to fish up there. At least I now have the tackle to make more trips up there. After getting a taste of the cool summer weather in the mountains I am sure we will be heading back up. Is the fishing up there seasonal where there are certain times of the year that the fishing is better?
    Definitly year round. Some of the best fishing is in the fall and winter. As far as the trout, most likely a rainbow(pink line down the side). They do stock brown trout and brook trout also.
    Are fishermen all liars?