Thread: Fake Fingernail Flys??

Question Fake Fingernail Flys??

At the Tarheel Fly Flingers meet at Maxwell Mill pond, I belive Fly Flinger had some spoon flies tied with fake finger nails. Could you post some pictures of those and also where did you get the long narrow nails. All that I have found are the normal sized nails. Did you trim them?
    tarheel fly flinger likes this.

FAAN, PHWFF, Always choosing the lesser of two evils .....is still chooseing evil.......:Jerry Garcia

Default Re: Fake Fingernail Flys??

Eddie he goes to a fingernail salon and picks them out the size he wants...I do believe...

He has a post in the How To Tie Flies section on his fingernail fly...

<*)))))>{

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Eddie, TFF will probably see this and respond, but I think he got his nails from Walgreen. I got some somewhere, but they are all to short. Allen will tell you for sure where to get them.

RED X ANGLER

Eddie, Allen (TFF) may go to a salon also. .

RED X ANGLER

Eddie...he does get them from a nail salon...most any salon will have them ...the nails with the more squared off end works better. You may want to have your wife get them for ya...unless you're comfortable getting them yourself. Use silver , gold polish..etc for the base coat...add glitter of your choice, then a light coat of clear polish....viola..!!!!

Important...bend your hook to match the curve in the fake nail....wrap chenille around the hook shank with super glue gel to prevent spinning around hook. Apply gel to the top of the chenille...then add your nail. Make sure it's on straight. Don't forget to tie on your tail first....usually krysrtal flash or flashabou for more action. Use the non slip mono loop knot i showed you at the mill pond to get the best action of the spoon fly.

EDDIE TARHEEL FLY FLINGERS " RED X ANGLER "
    "BOWFIN ANGLER "

OK ,looks like they know me too good! I usually go to Sally's beauty supply ...If its a new girl behind the counter ,then I get some strange looks! I always carry an example with me to show them what I need for fishing.I do try to get Mrs Flinger to go with me. The last time I went to Sallys they were out of stock. I found some in a kit for around 6.00 at Walgreens...five different sizes in 1 box. Works out well .It is possible to use the "small nail" for a teaser spoon behind the main nail. There is an example in the fly tying section ...I think I called it a nail fly. If you need help ,please let me know .Oh -NOTE-You can use a sink tip fly line and troll this behind a yak and catch Blues and Trout . I did this with Rouse last time we went fishing at Vandemere, I did get a trout with this method.

ALLEN TARHEEL FLY FLINGERS " RED X ANGLER "
    " BOWFIN ANGLER "

Thanks guys that is helpful. Have to head over to Sallies and check it out. That is where Mrs Deepblu told me to go in the first place...lol... I like going in there by my self the looks are hilarious. But taking a sample would be a good idea. I get my Hoe Hair at sallies sometime.

FAAN, PHWFF, Always choosing the lesser of two evils .....is still chooseing evil.......:Jerry Garcia

Hiya,
    I'm curious...can someone post a picture of these fake fingernail flies or point me in the direction of one already posted? And what species do you use them for?
    Thanks, Savasa

LOOK UNDER TOOLS IN THE TOOL BAR SECTION
    He has a post in the How To Tie Flies section on his fingernail fly.
    savasa, and tarheel fly flinger like this.

EDDIE TARHEEL FLY FLINGERS " RED X ANGLER "
    "BOWFIN ANGLER "

Hiya,
    Pardon me for being dumb, but I couldn't find it....Savasa

Here it is Savasa

Nail fly