Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fort Bragg Lakes and Ponds

Default Fort Bragg Lakes and Ponds

Hi All,
    Well, in the past two days I've struck out at Mott Lake and Lake McArthur on Fort Bragg fishing for bass. Anyone know which bodies of water on Fort Bragg produce good bass, that's accessible by jon boat?
    Also, I'm looking for good places to fish for crappie. I tried a bit of crappie fishing last night at Mott lake, but I couldn't find any.
    Deepblu505 likes this.

Default Re: Fort Bragg Lakes and Ponds

The wildlife biologist at Bragg told us at one of the FAAN meeting that Mott lake was very poor for fishing. It is basically a bath tub , no structure . It does not hold any real numbers of game fish. There are some but very few when they did their shocking and cout. Boundry line, and simons have good bass and both are acessaable with a john boat. Smith Llake also has good bass fishing just has alot of Hydrilla.
    Snoike likes this.

FAAN, PHWFF, Always choosing the lesser of two evils .....is still chooseing evil.......:Jerry Garcia

Deepblu,
    Thanks for the information!! Do you know if any of those lakes hold black crappie or white perch?

I am not sure of the black crappie or the white perch but i have caught white crappie in Smith Lake, and have seen them caught at Simmons pond.
    FAAN, PHWFF, Always choosing the lesser of two evils .....is still chooseing evil.......:Jerry Garcia

what about sharon harris tons of cappie and a fair number of bass

and no its not on ft bragg just didnt know if you knew about harris or not good luck

I went to Lake Holland last weekend and scored several nice bass! Too bad you need a 4x4 vehicle to get back there.

I just started getting back into fishing and I hit up both Keist Lake and Wyatt Lake today and last weekend. Today nothing really. Last weekend a smallie and largemouth bass at Keist. I used a plastic worm cotton candy or motor oil can't remeber...texas rigged of course... What is FANN all about????

FAAN is a bunch of us guys who live in and around Fayetteville and just like to get together for fellowship and try to get together and fish as much as possible. Would love to have as many people as we can to join and get together and go fishing.
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Quote Originally Posted by rickybassy View Post
    I just started getting back into fishing and I hit up both Keist Lake and Wyatt Lake today and last weekend. Today nothing really. Last weekend a smallie and largemouth bass at Keist. I used a plastic worm cotton candy or motor oil can't remeber...texas rigged of course... What is FANN all about????
    FAAN is fishermen and women who love to fish , love to talk about fishing , and love to meet new pepole . We are a very informal group with no dues or membership fees. We meet on the first Thursday of the month. This Thursday we will be at the Pechman Center across from Rim Lake park. We will be have a guest speaker , who will talk about the US Power Squadron. It will be very interesting and we would love for as many people as possible to come out and enjoy a good time with us.
    Coach D likes this.

sorry it took me so long to post in here! Mott lake is just dead for LM bass! there are some panfish in there! now MacArthur has some bass in it! i all ways pull some in the boat when i go! but there are alot of lake on Bragg that has better bass fishing!Simmons, smith, Texas, boundary line, and lower mckellar have some bass in them! you may have had a bad day out on the water! i say give it a try again!
    Coach D likes this.

2014 Native Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick
    Wicked Catch Pro Staff

I've been to Kiest Lake on two days in a weekend. First day, didn't get anything but I saw quite abit of em hitting the top of the water. I only had plastic worms and a small rattletrap with me, so after talking with my step dad back home about how to fish top water, off I went to Gander Mountain to get some top water baits. Next day, I went out with my new baits, but I wanted to try the worms again. I'm real new to bass fishing, and I've been told that worms is the way to go if you can learn to fish em, so I've been forcing myself to stick with em. Sure enough, second cast of the worm, I got hung up on a bass. Few minutes later, my worm found another one. Both were real small, but it was my first bass on a plastic worm so I was pretty excited about it.

Now I'm still real new to fishing the Bragg lakes, and bass fishing in general (I grew up fishing for bream with crickets and worms with bobbers), so I may be way off the mark here. But from what I saw of the fish I caught, and the bass I saw in the water, they were real small. So maybe it'll be better fishing towards the end of the summer?

I'm really itching to try some of the other lakes for bass, but I don't have a boat so I'm real limited. From time to time, I go with a friend of mine who does have a small 10 ft jon boat, but it's not as often as I like, and I've never tried catching bass from the bank.

I've seen a guy catch bass on a worm in boundary line from the bank. He was using the watermelon color.
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

I thought about giving it a try this weekend. I want to give Boundary Line a look anyway. Maybe I'll toss my rod in the back of the truck and go after work this week

good luck out there snagged! i am going to be at the fishing clinic this weekend!
    2014 Native Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick
    Wicked Catch Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast