Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bass fishing with Bluegill

Default Bass fishing with Bluegill

Hey guys have any of you ever fished with bluegill for bass or any other fish? I am wanting to catch a big bass on it. What is a good hook to use with them? What type of rig do you use?

catfisher

Default Re: Bass fishing with Bluegill

Fresh cut or live bream can be excellent bait for bass or catfish. One of the larger bass I have seen caught was caught on a bobber rig while fishing for catfish.

A very small bream was caught, maybe 3 or 4 inches long at the most. We used a larger bass hook and drove the hook though the fishes body, back near the tail so as not to kill the bream, but near enough to the center of the fish so it would not come off.

The injury to the bream will cause it to swim around in distress, this attracts the predator fish.

Cut bream would also probably work for catfish.

One word of advice is to set the hook quickly, that same large bass literally inhaled the bream and hook, and only the tail was sticking out of its throat. We cut the line and hoped for the best.

Thanks jprime81! Anyone else know anything else?

Bream and white perch is good catfish bait. I don`t fish for bass with natural baits due the potential of them inhaling it and not being able to be released.
    "Them Hardcore boys"

Oh, what size hook should I use? Also should I just use a regular bobber for bass fishing with bluegill? Where exactly would you hook a bluegill for bait?

You can hook your baitfish for bait under the main dorsal fin, but in an area that's thick enough to hold them on well. Otherwise, aim for the area between the til and the main dorsal fin, running down the middle of the body, but shade over to the area below the main dorsal fin again.

As for the size hooks, I use 4 or 5 gamakatsu's when doing this.

Here is good illustration on how to hook live bait.
    http://www.takemefishing.org/assets/..._hook_bait.pdf

Hope that helps!
    ejtaylor822 likes this.

I use a weighted cigar cork with a 1/0 wide gap worm hook, hooking the bluegill through the lips( like you would've hooked a fish normally but through both lips) I've caught huge bass this way and especially during the summer mornings or evenings the bass can push the bluegill up for a topwater strike... thats something you dont forget.

KMC
    -Take your 'kid fishing! Red X Angler

I don't normally target Bass with Bluegills because there are so many other methods to catch them. I do however love using bluegill for catfish. 1/0 hook run behind the dorsal and a carolina rig is deadly on big cats.

I am wanting to try it for big bass. So which type of hook and where do I hook the bluegill or bream? Also can someone give me a link or something to the cork bobber float rig? I mean can I just use a regular THILL bobber? Thanks guys.

catfisher

I used to catch small bream (2-4") in a cast net and use them for bait. Caught a ton of fish on them in the pond I used to fish. I would just use a red and white plastic bobber with 2-3 ft of line under it, dont remember which hook I used. Make sure your bobber is big enough that the bream you are using will not pull it under. If you are using bigger bream you might even try using a small balloon.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by kmcskillz1 View Post
    I use a weighted cigar cork with a 1/0 wide gap worm hook, hooking the bluegill through the lips( like you would've hooked a fish normally but through both lips) I've caught huge bass this way and especially during the summer mornings or evenings the bass can push the bluegill up for a topwater strike... thats something you dont forget.

KMC
    this is the cork that I would use. Either the cigar (what they call torpedo) or the oval. Even though its a shiner it shows the same principal of hooking.

KMC
    -Take your 'kid fishing! Red X Angler

Now if you want to catch a big bass..get a big golden shiner like in the pic with the corks....they work great....

<*)))))>{
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Quote Originally Posted by catfisher View Post
    Hey guys have any of you ever fished with bluegill for bass or any other fish? I am wanting to catch a big bass on it. What is a good hook to use with them? What type of rig do you use?

catfisher
    I've hung a hawg on a 5-6" bream before. He broke my line but I was able to actually see him line up the bream before inhaling it. That bass was over 2 ft. long, easy. From seeing that, whenever I use bream for bait, I always hook the bream behind the dorsal fin toward the tail. That way my line isn't in the way of the strike. The bream can be halfway down the bass's throat before he realizes he's hooked.

I'd highly recommend using a circle hook for this type of fishing - less chance of the bass swallowing the hook. Circle hooks usually pull out of the fish's gullet and end up lodging in the corner of their mouth instead - that is why they are superior for live bait fishing.

Gamakatsu, Owner, Eagle Claw, and Mustad all make circle hooks, you can find them at Dick's Sporting Goods. They look like this (see attached picture)...

10-4 on the circle hook, but don't rear back and set the hook like a normal hook or you will just pull it out of his mouth. Set the hook by pulling to the side (like with a fly rod) while you are reeling.

If sitting side by side, a bass is going to hit that shiner before a bream. No sharp dorsals on the shiner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast