Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bass fishing with Bluegill

Default Re: Bass fishing with Bluegill

h2ohhh is correct. A circle hooks works by rotating and embedding itself in the corner of a fish's mouth as the fish turns and swims away after taking the bait. It is an entirely different process than having to "set" (aka jerk, pull, rear back) on a conventional "j" hook.

With conventional "j" style hooks - you have to "time" the hookset perfectly, and know when to strike and when to wait. With circle hooks, you just let the fish run with the bait and tighten up the line on him, and he hooks himself. Hard to learn to do, but very effective and actually much easier when you get the hang of it.

Commercial long-liners have used circle hooks for years for this reason. Just in the past few years have they become available to recreational bait-fisherman. And that is my final point - you ONLY use circle hooks with live or dead natural bait - never on artificial lures, since the fish don't hold on to them long enough to make them work.
    h2ohhh likes this.

sundance50

Biggest bass I have every caught was on a live bluegill. 23 inches. I was about 13 years old. Never forgot it.

I would just free line the bluegill or....use a weighted hook.

I've read where you can use a weighted hook with a two baitfish one hooked through the tail and the other through the upper body on the same weighted hook. This make them really thrash against one another. Creates alot of vibration in the water. I might try it out tomorrow

I am wanting to use the bluegill in Lake Lynn. I know there are big bass in there. There are alot of 8 lbs being caught out of there. So I figured the biggest is probly 10 lbs. So a bluegill/sunfish/bream or whatever you want to call it is probly some of the natural food that the bass in there eat. So what do you guys think?
    LunkerHunter28 likes this.

Do it - immediately - and report back with pictures.

I looked and I have 3/0 and 5/0 Gamakastu OCT-inline circle hooks. Also I have 3/0 and 4/0 G-Lock Gamakastu worm hooks. Which one should I use? Also which should I use, a regular bobber or no bobber? Also what size rod should I have? I have a Medium Heavy Catfishing rod, should I use this one or one of my medium action rods? Also I need to know the best place to hook a bluegill for bass.

5/0 circular hooks (palomar knot)
    Bobber
    Medium Heavy rod (with good strong line)
    Luck

I got 20 lb line that came with that rod. How far up the line should I put the bobber?

Quote Originally Posted by catfisher View Post
    I looked and I have 3/0 and 5/0 Gamakastu OCT-inline circle hooks. Also I have 3/0 and 4/0 G-Lock Gamakastu worm hooks. Which one should I use? Also which should I use, a regular bobber or no bobber? Also what size rod should I have? I have a Medium Heavy Catfishing rod, should I use this one or one of my medium action rods? Also I need to know the best place to hook a bluegill for bass.
    Use the Gamakatsu oct-inline circle hooks. Either the 3/0 or 5/0 will work. Use a bobber, doesn't matter what kind. Put bobber 2-3 feet above hook. Use the medium heavy catfish rod. Hook the bluegill in the back, either in front of or behind the dorsal fin (read above there are about 34 responses on where to hook it). Good luck.

So what part of a bluegill do I hook it at exactly? I mean I know were the dorsal fin is but were exactly? I am sorry I am being so picky guys.....

Catfisher, there is no wrong way to hook it. ANy of the 3 ways mentioned will work fine. If you are going to hook it by the tail, then it will go between the soft dorsal fin and caudal on the black strip running length wise in your picture.
    FOR HE GAVE HIS TO SAVE MAN'S SOUL _____ I WOULD GIVE MINE TO SET MAN FREE---RED X ANGLER

Ok, I mean do they all get hooksets the same? I want one that will hook the bass good...

When I use bream for catfishing, I trim the fins with scissors to release scent and get rid of the stickers...

Should I do this with the bluegill for the bass?
    Last edited by catfisher; 06-26-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: clarification.

Use a quick strike rig like muskie fisherman use on suckers. Most are adjustable. They allow you to strike immediately and avoid gullet hooking for those who release. I use on 5 to 7 inch bluegill for flatheads in the Ohio River also. The rig is basically a wire leader with a treble on the end and a single hook that slides. The single goes in the lips and one point of the treble goes in the back or belly. The treble usually has one smaller bend and point for your bait and two larger points for your target. They work.
    Jim

catfisher, hook the bream under the very back of the soft dorsal fin in the picture you posted. Hook it in between the back of that soft dorsal fin and that black line that runs down the side of its body.

And good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast