Thread: Shorefishing near Gastonia, NC?

Default Shorefishing near Gastonia, NC?

My family lives down near Gastonia and I recently got my brother into fishing. I've taken him out on a boat a few times on Norman when I've had the money, but I'm looking for some places we can go without the need of a boat since I don't own one yet.

I live in Greenville, NC closer to the coast, and I don't know anything about the Gastonia area. So, my question... are there any good places to shore fish near Gastonia? Ponds, lakes, even the rivers if there are some shallow sections you can wade or a long stretch of fishable shoreline. We could probably drive up to an hour away if needed. But, the closer to Gastonia itself the better. I'd like to get down there again and keep his interests going in this sport.

Default Re: Shorefishing near Gastonia, NC?

"Hothole" in Belmont is a good bank fishing access. It is the cooling water for the Allen Steam Plant. Most people from G-town probably know it or just go to Belmont and ask anybody. It is better , of course, in winter when the fish love that hot water but they catch fish there all year. Good for catfish, crappie, white perch and bass.
    No wadeable spots around anywhere near Gastonia/Charlotte.
    Bank fishing spot in Mt. Holly at the Hwy 27 bridge too.
    "Them Hardcore boys"

Check out the duke energy site they have a set of maps of all the catawba lakes with access points. Shore access in this area does suck though.

The South Point boat launch has some good shore fishing. Just tell him to stay off the docks. Most places you shore fish in Gastonia tend to be illegal, they just are horrible in this area in giving folks access to the water.

It was part of the reason I got a jon boat to get onto Wylie.

Awesome! Thanks for the info guys. I will hopefully be heading back down that way in the next month or so. I want to get him out near the water early and maybe we can pull a few of something in .

I'm working on the boat thing. I hope to have something set up in the next few months.
    Bass Fishing Padawan - May the Force be with you.
    LMB PB 2009 - 3.95 (6-13-09) -- LMB PB ~ 6.7lbs (8-21-08)

Sounds good. If you don't fix the boat thing talk to me in late winter. My Modified Jon (aka redneck bass boat) will probably be up for sale.

Shoot any other questions ya got on fishing in the area.