NC Angler Forums banner

Frustrated!! Lake Wylie Bass Fishing Help Needed

25K views 41 replies 7 participants last post by  ghost 
#1 ·

I moved to Lake Wylie early this summer and started bass fishing again. I know some of the basic techniques. I usually fish the north end of Lake Wylie just past the Duke Allen Steam Plant. There seems to be great points with 20’-40’ drop offs and tons of structure to fish.
I have 3 bait casters, and 2 spinner reels.
My tackle box consists of
-Plastic worms and lizards, watermelon, pumpkin, chartreuse and various other colors. I fish these Carolina rig and Texas rig.
-Top water plugs big and small.
-Zara Spook Jr Clear, Zara Super Spook, Zara Super Spook JR all clear, using walk the dog technique.
-Top Water Buzz Bait White
-Few other top water floating baits, that look like bait fish with props on the front and back. Don’t really know how to fish these yet?
What are the best baits for late summer early morning 5am-8am fishing? I have been fishing points and structure and have not had any success. Tons of time spent fishing, just not catching anything?? A few bites but noting crazy?? I need help! When I am out there I see tons of activity fish jumping all around me but not striking what I am throwing.
Also any recommendations for afternoon and evening bass fishing. Please help!!
Also if anyone is looking for someone to fish with on Lake Wylie shoot me an email. Leel408@hotmail.com

Thank You,
Frustrated Fisherman

See less See more
#3 ·
Well- Welcome to NCangler first of all ! I`m from Mt. Holly and hit the top of Wylie pretty regular in a yak.
OUt of all your post I think the most important thing is "early this summer." It`s just not good anywhere right now. You`ve got tht right ideas- even the right baits. (least those are what alot of us use) Stick with the c-rig deep and t-rig the docks during the day. (probably know that already) The morning/dusk bite for breaking fish is normally very short this time of year. If you see breaking fish they may be Perch since Wylie is over-run with them. They will normally hit the jr`s. (spook and pop-r) Try a white rooster tail for them and please keep them all !
Don`t want to be insulting but is the surface activity feeding ? Can be alot of gar on top.
This time of year I don`t even try to fish "hard'. I`m just out there biding my time for fall.
Wait til then and you`ll tear `em up around Allen.

#5 ·
I am seeing tons for early morning breaking fish around the point drop offs. I do not know what species of fish they are exactly, maybe perch or gar, they are definitely feeding whatever they might be. Judging by some of the splashes seem to be fairly large fish.

What do you catch perch on? Spinning beetles

I love the fight and challenge involved with bass fishing. I am addicted right now and fish every chance I get. Again any suggestions fishing this time of year are much appreciated.
Thank You,

#6 ·
I think you`re just putting the blame on yourself when it`s just really tough this time of year. Don`t think you`re probably doing anything wrong.
If there are breaking (eating) fish they can be caught. Use the big spook or pop-r for bass. Hopkins spoons on top are good. My personal fav is a Zoom fluke in anything close to pearl. Reel like a madman. Then work to smaller baits. Baby torpedoes can be good. If it seems like perch use rooster tails and a small kastmaster spoon can be deadly. Perch like it falling and can catch them jgging too.
On the C-rig- fish it painfully, mind-numblingly SLOOOOW. I don`t do it. It bores me to tears. I`ll just wait for fall. Smaller worms. I like june-bug.

#8 ·
You`ve already got alot of them.
Spooks and pop-rs(both sizes)
Baby torpedo`s
Zoom super flukes (both sizes)
Soft plastics dark trick worms, weightless lizards and horny toads in spring.
Rooster tails
beetle spins for bream
Pretty basic stuff. I don`t use crankbaits too much but alot of people do. Spinnerbaits are #2 right behind the worm and alot of people love them. Jigs in the fall around cover.
Fall months going into winter are my favorite months.We`ll see down around Allen then.

#9 ·
Hey jigger. Sounds like you are in my area quite a bit. This is my 2nd year in Wylie. This time of year SUCKS. Spring was awesome this year, got a lot of good Bass. Winter, was slower but still not to tough to find Bass 10' or deeper in some of the holes and coves in that area.

This time of year, I have done significantly better evening (1-2 hours before sunset - dark) than early morning. Mid-Day I have little to no luck. Look for those points you mentioned, if you can find some on the shady side of the lake, definitely a bit better.

If you have the means head the other way on Wylie. Do you launch from South Point? If so, head the other way, between South Point and Buster Boyd there is a LOT of deep water and a good chunk of fish in there. The farther down the lake (towards Ebeneezer and the dam) the deeper you get. Course in the summer the more jet ski's, water skiiers, and heavy wake too.

Another thing to consider. Catfish. They get huge, they can fight like crazy, and summertime they are simple to find. I have pulled some huge cats out of Wylie. Those bridges all hold some good cats near the pylons. Just watch the depth near Wilkenson, it can get really shallow really quick over there.

Crappie are another good fish to get in Wylie. They don't get huge but can keep you busy. if you want to just have a little fun, get yourself a really small spinnerbait (one of those that look like flies), get up near the shore and cast that puppy out there almost to the shore. There are hundred of sunfish and smaller guys in there. You can catch 'em at 1 spot all day.

#10 ·
BTW, you cannot go wrong with spinners. I have used a lot of them but have had a ton of luck this year with gold and silver vibrax spinners. Pulled in some big bass and strangely enough some very large catfish too with them.

I will toggle from them to some weedless rubber worms I got. Generally, this time of year I throw stuff that is multi-species. Spring and Fall I switch over to my pure bass gear, then it is a lot of plastics and crank baits. Mainly plastics. I just cannot get good at jigs in Wylie yet.

Out of curiosity, what kind of ride you got?

#11 ·
BTW, you cannot go wrong with spinners. I have used a lot of them but have had a ton of luck this year with gold and silver vibrax spinners. Pulled in some big bass and strangely enough some very large catfish too with them.

I will toggle from them to some weedless rubber worms I got. Generally, this time of year I throw stuff that is multi-species. Spring and Fall I switch over to my pure bass gear, then it is a lot of plastics and crank baits. Mainly plastics. I just cannot get good at jigs in Wylie yet.

Out of curiosity, what kind of ride you got?
Thank you for your help! As of what kind of ride do I have, just floating around in a canoe at this point. I live on the lake but am somewhat limited as to a boat to fish out of making it slightly more difficult to fish some lures, walking the dog can be difficult at times and the wind will change the direction of the canoe frequently making it hard to concentrate on fishing certain structure. I am working through all of this. I am trying to find fishing holes close to my house? I live on the Charlotte side of the river, guessing the sunny side? Right where the main channel splits towards the wilkson bridge and sadler cove. Very nice point there by the power lines Belmont side. I have compiling a very nice tackle box. Stay away from Bass Pro Shop, You can spend $200.00 very quickly!!!lol Customer Service was very helpful! Any recomendiontations on fishing holes, I do not have a fish finder.

#14 ·
The ones I have been sucessful with today are my vibrax silver and gold. Both have gotten beat up. Had a large Bass steal one from me once.

Trying to gauge your location, using I-85, Wilkenson bridges as a frame of reference, where roughly are you located? Maybe I can PM you some of the holes I have seen up there from my fish finder.

#16 ·
The ones I have been sucessful with today are my vibrax silver and gold. Both have gotten beat up. Had a large Bass steal one from me once.

Trying to gauge your location, using I-85, Wilkenson bridges as a frame of reference, where roughly are you located? Maybe I can PM you some of the holes I have seen up there from my fish finder.
I live very close to the Duke Power Allen Steam Plant just north where the river splits into Paw Creek. The steam plant is a 15 min canoe ride paddling south to the steam plant from my place. I would appreciate some points of reference for fishing holes. I know that most of these spots are usually kept as secrets and understand this, never hurts to ask though.
Also what color skirts on the spinner baits? How deep do you usually run them and do you use a medium speed retrieve?

#15 ·
BTW canoes are fine. I fished most of my time from a Jon. Caught MANY large fish in it. Fisherman is the determining factor. I have had some interesting times that far up the lake myself.

Seems to either run feast or famine for me when it comes to Bass and lately been a lot of famine up there for me.

#21 ·
Has anyone been fishing Lake Wylie recently? Have any luck? If so what areas are you fishing, north, south. Shallow, deep. What lures are working the best. Still trying to figure this out. I know it is not the best time of year to be fishing. But fish have to eat to!!!!!! All help is greatly appreciated. Thank You[/

#22 ·
They do have to eat but it`s highly concentrated time frame.
Dawn and dusk mostly, on top.
I`d try overhangs, under docks rest of the day.
Just like us they`re hot, lethargic and waiting on fall.
The topwater bite has been showing signs that fall is on the way on Mt. Island. All caught at least a few last weekend early morning. Small (12-14 in) stripes, small bass, and perch. All on top and eating tiny (3/4 in) shad. Flukes, spoons, and roostertails to the breaks.
Fish have been known to bust near the bridge @ Wilkinson if you can get there.

#23 ·
Hey Im new on here, Signed up just to add to what yall have going on here. I post mostly on fishing with rusty. Lake Wylie is a hard lake, and can be very confusing some times. I get out there at least every weekend, in a 17ft duracraft 1750bass. Lately Ive caught most of my fish on top waters, spittin image, luckcraft sammy, chug bug all good baits, most fish come from wind blown points in morning 5am-10am. Also snagged a few here and there off docks, with t rig, sinko, or trick worm. And a few here/ there on rip rap banks with crank baits. I try and get it close to rocks and bounce off them. Some of you were talking about fishing those bridges, there are always fish there... Just a matter of what they want. I like to get top waters walking around the edges of the posts, no luck, bounce a spinner bait off the post towards the bottom, if you can cast past the pole and let current move the baits around it and then defect them off it the better. Hope some of this helps anyone whos reading.

#27 ·
man...what is Duke doing with Wylie it is down a good deal, especially on the north end. Anyway, I caught me a TON of catfish, on spinners. I did have a good bass on the line and lost him :(

Since what I have been doing has not been working I tried just about anything that I would not normally do. In line with another suggestion, the bass I did get on the line hit top water about 11 am. We has in about 2-3 ft of water but less than 5 ft from a 10 ft drop-off.

#28 ·
Well I am going fishing tonight 6:30-8:30pm, I hope to catch something. Fished this morning for a small period of time around 8am off of my pier, lake was glass threw a small top water plug 8 casts in variouse locations and no action, also threw a T-Rig Purple Power worm and no hits on that either. Is anyone fishing the north end of the lake tonight???? **** I want to catch a bass soo bad this sucks, have fished at least 8 times in various locations with no luck.

#29 ·
Last night was not that great, caught one little sunfish on a small top water plug, fished from 7:00pm until 8:30pm. Fished a top water plug, top water torpedo, and t rig brown power worm. Fished off my pier and around the property lot's of frontage with a large point to fish.1'-10'ft of water on the main channel. Seems to be a popular spot lot's of bass boats frequent and we have had days when we have pulled 3-5 fish in a short period of time. Hopefully this weekend I will get some time to paddle around and hit some various spots. I need a boat!!!!!

#31 ·
That`s basically exactly what we`re seeing up on Mt. Island. Smallish LMB`s, spots, stripers on top, mostly morning, and a ton of tiny baitfish. Only got 5 fish this morningbut felt like it should have been 50. Even if you get right in the breaks the fish are being pretty picky. Mant time you just know you`regonna get a blow-up and fish right beside the bait, then nothing. Had a little LMB herd some bait right into the side of the yak and go after them. I could have touched it.
What we are catching has been typical baits- spooks, flukes, rooster tails, small spoons. BUT still very happy that the 1st signs of fall are showing.
------------stu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.