Thread: Holt's Lake - Four Oaks

Default Holt's Lake - Four Oaks

Did a search and there is nothing on this lake in this forum. I believe it is private, but somebody has to have found a way to sneak in with a canoe, etc. Any ideas? It's beautiful from the road.

Default Re: Holt's Lake - Four Oaks

Holt's is a reservoir and access is controlled by Town of Butner, entrance is on Old 75 about 1/4 mi south of the dump. It is public, allows gas motors, Is steep and deep (12 ft offshore can be 27 ft or more in depth), I've seen depth of 90 ft. towards the center just off the ramp. Ramp is good w/ docks....either 2 or $3 charge to fish off the bank...$5 for one person and boat launch. Lot of shoreline. Hope this helps..
    Bob

I don't think we are thinking of the same lake. Butner is well north of the Smithfield area.

I have driven to the ramp by the country club but it says for homeowners and guests only.

butner, nc - Google Maps

Quote Originally Posted by madriver View Post

The link name may be confusing...it is of Holts Lake, not Butner

holts lake is private..........forget the name of the country club besude it but they own it.........not to keen on trespassers either.....you need to know someone there to get permission..........mack

I just can't stand a nice big body of water like that being private. I understand if someone has a pond that's private on their property, but not something as big as a lake with multiple properties & farmland around it. I drove down to that pump station on the back end of the lake once and think I can get my canoe in there. If I fish in the back I doubt I will ever be seen and if I get run off so be it. I'm a catch & release fisherman anyway so I won't be taking any of their "private" fish.

Quote Originally Posted by madriver View Post
    I just can't stand a nice big body of water like that being private. I understand if someone has a pond that's private on their property, but not something as big as a lake with multiple properties & farmland around it. I drove down to that pump station on the back end of the lake once and think I can get my canoe in there. If I fish in the back I doubt I will ever be seen and if I get run off so be it. I'm a catch & release fisherman anyway so I won't be taking any of their "private" fish.

Everyone on that lake paid a premium for waterfront property. They also pay a guy to keep out folks that reason like you. Catch and release is not............ the point........cash and carry is. If the concept of private ownership of property is objectionable to you, Gen. Castro has some lakes that are rumored to harbor huge Florida strain bass.............

This site is not the place to discuss trespassing. Nor is it the place for personal criticism.

Lefty
    site moderator
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
    the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that
    nobody would believe me anyway."

Blog Entries

Okay - we are closing this thread after having to delete several posts. Guys if you want to discuss issues related to fishing, we encourage that but ask that it be kept civil and NO PERSONAL INNUENDOS or ATTACKS.
    Check out my website: TopsailAngler.com for information on fishing the Topsail area. Follow me on Facebook.
    TackleMonkey.com - the LOCAL tackle shop for the NCAngler.com online community!

Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: Holt's Lake - Four Oaks

Parenthetically.....

NCangler.com NEVER condones illegal activity like trespassing. We believe in being responsible, law abiding citizens as well as good stewards of our natural resources. Fishing on someone else's property without permission is just plain wrong, no matter how you rationalize it. And asking for information on how to access someone's private land without their permission is not seeking "fishing advise". Any posts that encourage illegal activity like this will be deleted.
    Eric6708, Jiff7210, and Topsail Angler like this.