Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bull Reds at Full Moon

Default Re: Bull Reds at Full Moon

Nice Reds!
    trigger22 likes this.

h2ohhh: The three landed were on mustad 10/0 with 100 lb leader which were a good fit for the bait. An 8/0 held the one lost and never came unbuttoned.
    h2ohhh, and trigger22 like this.

10-4 Tony...great looking reds for sure. Glad yall got into some action. Knew you had caught one before
    you had to leave so that was good news.

Who was the guy that was relaying messages for us? I didn't catch his name.

H2ohh...thanks I resemble that remark.... use any where from a 8 to 12/0 circle hook for the big boys. And
    from 2-5 ounces of lead depending on the tides or surf conditions. Fresh menhaden
    or mullet cut bait hunks will put one on you line,,if the blues don't get it first.

<*)))))>{

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Administrator
    Captains Club
    US Armed Services Veteran
    Blog Entries

And use heavy tackle - please don't use light tackle for Old Drum (fish over 30" or so) - it wears them out too much and research has shown that increases their mortality rate.

Check out my website: TopsailAngler.com for information on fishing the Topsail area. Follow me on Facebook.
    TackleMonkey.com - the LOCAL tackle shop for the NCAngler.com online community!

Now you've got me thinking Topsail. My surf rod and reel are not that heavy duty. I'm using 40 lb. braid on a Shimano baitrunner reel and an 8 ft. one piece rod. While I'd love to get into a big red I sure don't want to have it die. I do have a 10 foot surf rod that might be better if you guys think that's strong enough line to get one to shore fairly quickly.
    trigger22 likes this.

Administrator
    Captains Club
    Blog Entries

40 pound braid should be okay, if the rod is rated medium heavy, you should be fine. It's that 10 - 20 pound class gear I see some guys using that I'm calling light. I usually use 50# test on a medium-heavy rated.

Check out my website: TopsailAngler.com for information on fishing the Topsail area. Follow me on Facebook.

Looks like a great time fishing.....Nice Job guys!

Thanks for all the info.
    trigger22 likes this.

Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    US Armed Services

I caught both of mine on 8/0 rigs tied with 3 oz egg sinkers and 100 pound momoi high catch mono. 309 penn with 7 ft medium heavy outer banks rod and 60 lb mono line. That 309 is a force to be reckoned with and I had the drag locked almost all the way down and they were still stripping drag.
    h2ohhh likes this.

-Die Hard- Red X Angler
    Vegetarian-"Indian for Really bad Fisherman"

Great looking fish you got there .Thanks for the photos
    trigger22 likes this.

I ran away from the snow and taxes in NY state

Administrator
    Captains Club
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trigger22 View Post
    I caught both of mine on 8/0 rigs tied with 3 oz egg sinkers and 100 pound momoi high catch mono. 309 penn with 7 ft medium heavy outer banks rod and 60 lb mono line. That 309 is a force to be reckoned with and I had the drag locked almost all the way down and they were still stripping drag.
    that's a good set-up. Leaves just enough to play the fish but you can get the fish to the boat before it gets too tired. No worries about broke gear either.
    trigger22 likes this.

These are the drum rigs that BParker tied. He will have to explain which are which..

cfarmd, and trigger22 like this.

Had a great time onboard woth Trigger22, gabbed some bait and toughed out a wet ride in the roung to get to where Trigger felt good about the bite. Awesome sight to see one fo those monsters come to the surface and I was a happy for Trigger as he was!! I caught one blue, got stripped of bait several times and had one hard hit that came unbuttoned. I had a medical emergency around 1 am and we had to go. I ended up at the Emergency room in Morehead city in excrutiating pain all over and my right leg badly swollen and lower calf covered in tiny blisters. Poor Tony had to get us back to the ramp with me in severe pain, by dark of night in confusing waters, but he kept his cool and got us home safe. He then followed me back to hwy 101 where I had to give up because I was going into shock and trembling to bad to drive anymore. He grabbed my gear and we left my truck at a store and he took me to the ER. He then stayed with me, and watched over me for several hours in pain and honestly begging for a Dr. and some releif. I dont know how I would have made it if he hadnt stuck with me andf I am grateful to no end that someone I barely know could be so good as to stay with me even long after my wife finally arrived and they knocked me out with meds.
    The final verdict is uncertain, they say if might have been overexertion causing spasms and still unclear on the swelling and burning of my leg, so more Dr visits to come.. Thanks again Tony for being a good friend and staying with me.. Yat another reason why NCAngler is the only site I frequent because the people here are great!! I'm glad I got to be a there for Tony's great catches. I was as excited as he was and hope to get through this and do it again very soon!!!
    cfarmd, Island Man, lefty, and trigger22 like this.

Administrator
    Captains Club
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear you had some medical problems, Brent. hope all is well and you can get back on the fish soon.

10-4 Sundrop...man didn't realize you were that bad off. I figured you back was bothering you with all that
    bouncing in the rough...

Hope you are feeling better. Sorry you didn't get one but bet if you had stayed you would have. There is always next time.

Good luck and keep us informed on your leg. Still maybe see ya at the picnic at Glenburnie Park.

<*)))))>{

sundrop,hope all is well and your getting back to fishing soon your in my prayers my friend
    red x angler and tarheelflyflinger for life -red drum its not an obssesion but a passion

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast