NC Angler Forums banner

red / trout / flounder rod size

Saltwater 
9K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Venom17 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
what size (length, strenth, oz rating, etc) would be ideal for tossing your favorite baits for reds, flounder and trout.

1/4oz jig heads with gulp shrimp for trout and reds, or 3-4'' minnows for flounder seem to be a favorite. what is the oz range of the rod that would throw these best?

also im thinking about stringing the accompanying reel with braided and tipping with flourocarbon - good idea or no?

#2 ·
7 foot medium or medium-heavy rod capable of tossing lures up to an ounce. Braid and fluoro leaders are an excellent idea. 15 lb. braid will handle anything you hook up with and cast great...it's only 6 lb. mono diameter. Learn the right knots for that line, traditional mono knots won't hold.

#3 ·
every thing h20 said but ill go one better ..diawa sweepfire 3500 to 4000 series is all ya need and are low budget rods and reels dudleys marina carrys em for 20.00 for rod and reel ;)

#4 ·
You are going to get a lot of different responses on this one. :DMy rods I use are solid graphite Star rods and Allstar rods. Medium-Fast-Light is what is stamped on mine. 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz, 8-15 pound line. This is what is stamped on mine. I use 2500 and 3000 series Tica reels. The reels are rated 6-8-10 pound line. I spool them with Power Pro, and use fluro leader. I can launch a 5in jerk bait on a 1/8 ounce head 40+ yards. Chunk a Mirrolure on the surf out of sight.

#5 ·
I would go down to a med- light for trout and flounder.. and the same for reds unless you tagert upper slot to overslot frequently.. I have a Tica libra Med light ....quantum boca pt that I like a lot except for the bail closing by itself every so often spooled with 30 lb power pro.. for sure use a foot or two of flouro leader in front of your braid on all lures.

KMC

#7 ·
I actually like it as a breakaway in case I get hung up... I'm better at getting stuck than I am at hooking fish. (Not quite so much as I used to be, tho...)

If you're concerned about line visibility, you'll get the invisibility of flouro together with the strength, lack of stretch, and cast-ability of the braid.

Reactions: Bread Man 1
#8 ·
The fluro makes a BIG difference at times. Other times, not so much. I won't even go flounder fishing without it. Not all fluros are created equal. Some really stink. I bought some "Invisi-something" can't remember exactly, made by Stren I think, tossed that roll in the garbage. Fluro is expensive, but has advantages. Calcutta and Seaguar are good ones if you are shopping around for it.

#10 ·
Like kmcskillz1 said, sharp teeth can cut braid or any other line material short of wire (not recommended for trout, drum or flounder fishing) but the braid will stand up better to docks, rocks and other line hazards that flounder and drum like to hang out near. Plus you will get less stretch (better hook set) and better sensitivity (m feel that subtle flounder bite) from the braid versus mono.

#12 ·
I use a baitcaster frequently and I think a lot of these guys do as well. I use mine for tossing heavier stuff (over 1/2 oz) and especially when targeting fish that hit softly such as flounder. The combination of baitcaster and braid gives you unbelievable sensitivity. You also don't get the line twist issues that spinning gear can give.

On the other hand I find tossing light lures such as 1/8 oz jigs with a small Gulp easier with a spinning rod.

I'm fishing CALO starting Thursday and will have both types.

#13 ·
I use a baitcaster 85-90% of the time bass fishing and most freshwater applications short of panfish but I use it maybe 40% of the time in saltwater for two main reasons: 1- It is extremely expesnsive to buy saltwater specific ceasting reels for trout reds ect.. and I dont have the money to have an arsenal 2- Much of the saltwater applications for trout and reds involve 1/4 oz jighead combinations ect or MR/ Mirrodine lures that need to be thrown as far as possible and a well matched spinning setup can throw those weights better.

KMC

#14 ·
how good is the oz range for being right.? like i said i want to throw 1/4oz as acurate and far as possible. is just a 1/8-3/8oz range good? or is there other things that would impact casting?
due to the previous post ill probably stick with a spinning, and maybe get a baitcasting reel for one of my other rods

#15 ·
You could do well with going a little lower rating than what you plan to throw. Just look at plugging... if we all used rods rated for 1oz our arms would fall off. The "whip" action of using a lure a little heavier can get you a little more distance .. just less accuracy on the long casts.. probably won't affect accuracy on more maderate casts.

KMC

#16 ·
There are many factors to consider when you say casting. You have different tips speeds, actions, lengths, and handles come into play. If you are looking just to throw 1/4 oz, that should be good. But if you go over 3/8oz then you may backlash more if using a baitcaster. I use a 7ft, Med-Hvy, fast tip, 1/4-1oz, 7in handle and can throw a 1/4oz jig about 40-45yds most times very accurately with a baitcaster. But I have been using baitcasters exclusively for about 20yrs. I do have spin cast reels but usually only use then for fresh water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.