NC Angler Forums banner

fall browns

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  westslope 
#1 ·
just moved back east from montana, ready to explore.has anyone been catching fall browns in the linville area(lost cove wilson etc.)?? any info. would be greatly appreciated. i 'm doing a solo trip this weekend it looks chilly and rainy, just perfect!!

#4 ·
Posted some pics of Wilson this week. You're coming to my home waters. Right on time for the fall browns. Watch out for the hunters. Only downfall this time of year. The fishing is usually good on into winter. Lost Cove, Harper's and Craig's Prong all are good. All native water. Wilson holds a few lunkers, but they are harder to find. This is my favorite time of year for trout. Any specific questions?

#7 ·
thanks for all the input guys you really know how to make a guy feel @ home!!

crummy, I have fished the linville gorge twice before, one time had some luck with streamers (one nice 17"er) and the other time only two lil guys.I guess what i'm getting at is for as nice as the water looks it seemed pretty slow. is that the norm or was i just jinxed? I was fishing down the pine gap trail. what river would you suggest for this weekend? I'm not shy about hiking either, I would just like to feel a nice fish on my line without having an audience. thanks again for all your help!!

#8 ·
ogrefish was at Linville. A hike into Craig's Prong, Lost Cove or Harper"s Creek should be good in the Wilson Creek area. Wilson Creek lately has not been that crowded. Other than the bear hunters. There are fish there. BTW-The Catawba River was heavily stocked with browns. From the dam at Lake James to the town of Morganton. A float trip below the dam is recomended. Sorry, not really accessable on foot due to private land. If you can line up a float trip, it should be worthwhile. The browns now are young and increasing in size. There are some 20+"ers there. The whole project was done by the Wildlife Commision and all stocking was with brown trout. Myself, I will be walleye fishing at Lake James. After hunting season I will go back to the streams for some trout action.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.