NC Angler Forums banner

Installing seats on aluminum boats?

27K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Rodnocker 
#1 ·
I need some advice on mounting seats on an aluminum boat.Any one with experiance doing this?I plan to install 2 flush mount bases on the rear of my 18ft Xpress , one on each side.What type of screws should i use , do reinforce the floor first,ect..

#4 ·
Use stainless bolts/nuts. Go all the way through the mounting surface if you can. Use stainless reinforcing plates on both top and beneath mounting surface if you can. If you can't get stainless plates, a good hard wood.

#5 ·
My suggestion would be to first bolt wood down across the length of the bench on your aluminum boat, then attach the seats to that. This will reduce flex and lessen the chance of ripping the bolts out of the aluminum. If you do this, do NOT use treated lumber. The copper they use in treated lumber will eat through the aluminum. Use normal lumber and treat it with a sealant (like Johnson's water seal) or give it a good coating of fiberglass resin.

#6 ·
Its not really a jon boat,its an 18 ft aluminum center console.Im going to mount the seat bases on the floor in the back of the boat so my fishing partner will have a comfortable seat with a back rest.There is a bench type seat at the center console but no actual fishing seat in the back.

Attachments

#8 ·
I think i said it wrong by saying i was planing to mount to the floor.It is actually the rear deck i plan to mount the bases to.The thing that worries me the most is when i mounted rod holders on the gunwales it was very easy to strip out the aluminum while inserting the screws.I know people do this all the time so i was just hoping to gather as much advise as possible before getting started to avoid too many problems. Thanks to all:)

#10 ·
I dont have access to the underside without doing some cutting which i would prefer not to do if possible.It is fairly thick aluminum though.I think i want to mount a base on the right and left side on the rear deck as it is very wide and this would give my partner the option of sitting on either side depending on how we were fishing.Plus i could bring an extra seat for times when i have a few people on board.

#11 ·
O.K ive purchased the seat ,post, and base.I decided to only put in one base.Does anyone have any reasons why i shouldnt mount the seat onto the lid too the bilge area in the rear of the boat.This seems like about the only place where i have good access to the underside for reinforcement.

#12 ·
The two main things I can think of off the top of my head are...
1. Make sure it is strong enough to hold the weight and the bolts will not bend the metal and pull through.
2. Make sure that the lid has a latch so that when you lean toward the hinge, the lid doesn't open and toss you from the seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.