NC Angler Forums banner

Lakes in Eastern NC

Lake 
8K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Mack in N.C. 
#1 ·
I live in Kinston and now have a little 14' Jon boat. We do not have an abundance of ponds or lakes in my area, could someone throw out ideas of where there are some more located within 30-40 miles of Kinston. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Tull's Mill Pond, just west of Deep Run, NC - southwest of you. I don't know the distance, but I'm sure it's within the parameters you mention.

Take 55/11 south. At the split, stay on 55.
Go 3-4 miles and turn left on S. Croom Bland Rd. (SR 1157).
Stay on 1157 for another 3-ish miles until it ends at Old Pink Hill Rd (SR 1111).
Turn left. You'll cross the spillway creek and see the lake on your right in about a 1/2 mile. Turn into the first drive across the creek.

Cost is $5. They've always accomodated me right up until it's almost too dark to see in the evening. Good Folks. Great atmosphere. Near 200 acre pond is filled with cypress trees. It's deepest hole, near the dam, is only about 10 feet and much of the pond is 5-6 feet and less. Up in the coves it's much less.

Crappie, bass, bluegill, etc. Some people catch lots, some don't. I love the place even though I'm a midlin catcher. Great escape!.

You can also go 11 to just before Deep Run and turn right on Tull's Mill Road (SR 1144). Go about 2 miles on it to Old Pink Hill Road (SR 1111) and turn right. The pond will be about a mile down on the left.

GuLuk.

#3 ·
I believe Tulls mill is closed until after the holidays. It is about 12 miles from Kinston. When you look at the map of Lenoir County it is the big blue Y by Deep Run. You cant see alot of it from the road. I think there is still Nobles Mill in Deep Run/ Pink Hill but i am not sure if it is still open or not

#4 ·
There is a Mill pond off 70 just east of Kinston. I fished it when I went to LCC and rented a boat there. I guess its still open but its been 30 years since I have been there. You can see the Mill pond from highway 70 and its within 3-5 miles of the college on the right headed towards NewBern. Try Google Earth and you can see it. Also off highway 58 in Maysville there is a Mill pond as well. The dam burst during hurricane Fran but has been repaired.

#5 ·
Fishing Technician.....The mill pond you are telling about is Lakeside. Its been closed for years. The dam had a crack in it back in 84' and has completely busted since. Now its just a creek running thru a swamp. It use to be a great place to fish.

Continue thru Deep Run and thru Pink Hill on Hwy 11. About 3 miles south of Pink Hill you will see a sign for Maxwells Mill. It will cost $5 bucks for you and the boat..5 bucks each for 2 people...

Check out the below links where the TarHeel Fly Flingers and friends had a meeting, tied flies and went fishing in the
lake.

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/87/may-9th-13440-3.html
http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f87/maxwells-mill-aftermath-fly-fishing-14877.html

Nobles Mill is located off Hwy 258 and Nobles Mill Road. The boat ramp is behind the silos at the old mill.

Neuse River right in your back yard....:)

Also ask around some of the fishing guys in your area. There is a pond out past Institute..(North Lenoir HS) back towards Jason area....I believe it was called :Bear Creek Watershed. That was 30 years ago...:)

#7 ·
I'm a small boat fisherman too (11 ft, electric motors only), and enjoy small-medium rivers as well as ponds. If you're willin' to give that a try, consider Contentnea Creek. Launch is in Grifton, NC, just north of you. The creek is about 20-25 yards wide therel, hosts a shad run (and festival) early each year, and widens out gradually as it feeds the Neuse - not too far down the creek. I believe the ramp is NCWRC. Try their site for location/directions.

Also, NCWRC ramps are located in Trenton, on the extreme upper reaches of the Trent River - it's about 25 yards wide there - and in Pollocksville, about midway up the Trent (from New Bern).

Lastly, The Trent River @ New Bern where it conjoins with the Neuse is suitable for small boats (except in very bad weather) even though it's wide there. The water is more fresh than salt but striper, red drum, specks, flounder and other popular saltwater species are found there, as well as common freshwater fish - bass, crappie, catfish, etc. Launch is in a park just off the last exit before you cross the river as you travel down 70. Exit, turn left, cross the bridge over the highway, then make an immediate right. You're in the park.

GuLuk,

#9 ·
Tulls Mill is open, Noble's is closed, Maxwell is open, Lakeside is dried up due to the dam busting, Davis' In Deep Run is busted, Davis' in Moss hill is Busted, Green Co Line is closed, Waters' Mill in Lagrange I don't know about but I went with a friend of mine about 3 years ago and killed them... I live in Deep Run and fish all the time. Tulls is hard Fishing takes a lot of patients but can land some fatties Crappie fishing at Tulls is excellent right now...

#10 · (Edited)
i always called the one yall call lakeside as "kellys pond"...........................was a great place to fish years ago....the first time i went there after it was drained i spoke with a guy who i think he said he was retired miltary and he had just bougth it....he didnt want to fix the dam...too bad............was a nice place.....in the 80's i would go to atlantic beach and take my canoe with me.....i always made sure i was at kellys pond by 3pm or so to fish till dark then head on t the beach......miss that place.....

4 questions
how long has davis been busted???

and is the one you call green co line also called pulley pond??.....

and is nobles closed for the winter or do you mean closed to fishing for good.......

and last time i was by trenton mill pond is was dry, think that was in 2001 or so...is it still dry?thanks mack

Reactions: FATFLATTIE
#11 ·
Davis has been busted eversense 1989 the dam gort a crack and just let go one day after about a week of rain.
Green Co is Pulleie pond
Nobles is just closed to boats
Trenton let go during Hurricaine Floyd in 1999 but has sese been rebuilt by the Army Corps. Of Engineers and has refilled but is closed to fishing and for tourism only....

#12 ·
so will nobles be open for boats in the spring or just banks fishing???..''

too bad about fishing at trenton........back in the eighties i used to catch some big yellow perch in there......hard to find aplace with big racoon perch..........mack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.