NC Angler Forums banner

Fish Finder Batteries

Kayak 
8K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  TacoBo 
#1 ·
Well, I believe I will have a new fish finder under the tree before Christmas Day, and I've already started thinking about how I'll rig the battery. I already have the Scotty mount, post, etc. for the fish finder itself, just no power...yet. I see a lot of guys running those 12V rechargeable batteries that look like tiny trolling motor batteries; however, I want to go smaller and lighter.

My fishing trips are limited to 3 to 4 hours max...most times 2 to 3 hours would be normal so I don't need to run it for 8 hours or anything. I've heard guys running 8 AA batteries by purchasing the battery holder, leads, etc. from Radio Shack and I could easliy do this. I also think a set up like that would fit in the dry storage hatch in the console beside my cup holder (I have a Old Town Dirigo).

My question is with the specs I've attached, would 8 AA batteries provide the power I need? I know enough about electrical work to be dangerous, but not enough to calculate the run time on a power source given the drain from the fish finder.

Any help is appprecated.

Display Size:3.5" diagonal
Display Pixel Matrix:320V x 240H
Display Type:Color TFT
Display Colors/Grayscale:256 Colors
Single BeamSonar Coverage200 kHz / 20° @ -10db
Target Separation:2.5 inches
Power Output (RMS):200 Watts (RMS)
Power Output (Peak to Peak):1600 Watts (Peak-to-Peak)
Temperature:Included
Backlight:Yes
Waterproof:Yes
Mount:Tilt and Swivel
Unit Size:4-3/8" W x 6-1/8" H x 3-1/4" D
Transducer - Standard:XNT-9-20-T
Transducer Mounting:Inside Hull or TransomPower Input:10-20 VDC

See less See more
#2 ·
i have not heard of using 8 aa batteries before and i dont know much about electricity. the idea sounds good however could get pricey. I personaly went to batteries plus and bought a 12v 18 ah sealed battery for somewhere around 40 bucks and i charge it twice a year and fish many many 8 hr. sesions between the charges. the other thing that i have heard works well is cross wiring two 6v batteries, however this can get pricey as well. I but my battery in tuper wear container in the dry storage on my boat secured with stick on velcro. Hopes this helps

#3 ·
The color screen is going to pull a lot more amps than a B&W. The 8 AA's may not last very long. I would recommend getting a 12v 2ah battery and little battery tender charger.

I have a 12v 5ah battery and it will last for several trips before I recharge it (running a B&W fishfinder). I have never run out of battery so I don't know how long it will go. I will get the 2ah next time to save weight.

#4 ·
I recall some detailed discussion about this from kayakfishingstuff.com. Some? (many? all?) of the rechargeable AA's only deliver 1.2V max, so 8 of them only gets you 9.6V total. Its enough to drive most fishfinders, but maybe not for as long as you'd hope (mine shuts off when the charge gets down to 8.5V).

I think some folks wind up wiring multiple holders go with an 8-pack plus a 2-pack or customize a larger battery pack to get 10. Not sure what they do for charging - would be a pain to take them out of the holder(s) and charge them 4 at a time with a standard AA charger. I assume you could wire something up to charge the whole bank with a little research.

I'm with SlotRed. I went with 12V/7ah, but 18ah sounds nice. Its heavy (mine is around 2lbs), but less messing around. I did have to replace the first one after about 2.5 years.

#7 ·
I recall some detailed discussion about this from kayakfishingstuff.com. Some? (many? all?) of the rechargeable AA's only deliver 1.2V max, so 8 of them only gets you 9.6V total. Its enough to drive most fishfinders, but maybe not for as long as you'd hope (mine shuts off when the charge gets down to 8.5V).

I think some folks wind up wiring multiple holders go with an 8-pack plus a 2-pack or customize a larger battery pack to get 10. Not sure what they do for charging - would be a pain to take them out of the holder(s) and charge them 4 at a time with a standard AA charger. I assume you could wire something up to charge the whole bank with a little research.

I'm with SlotRed. I went with 12V/7ah, but 18ah sounds nice. Its heavy (mine is around 2lbs), but less messing around. I did have to replace the first one after about 2.5 years.
I think you guys are probably right about the 12V option. I just always look for ways to go lighter and faster whether I'm hiking, camping, biking, or fishing. I guess that was the rationale for the AA batteries, although the fish finder kind of goes against that philosophy altogether.

I'll probably go the 12V route in the end...just looking for the road less traveled which might lead to some weight and cost savings. I'll post pics once I get everything installed after Xmas.

Thanks for all the input...see you on the water!
Bo

#5 ·
Heres what I have it works great and is a good size for a Kayak. It is the same battery that is used in a game feeder. So you can get them at Gander mt or the Nuese Sports Shop or places like that. Radio Shack sells it also with a charger.

BATTERYSLA7-12, Rhino 12V 7.0AH Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Battery

Reactions: TacoBo
#10 ·
Well, the fish finder is in my posession. I just ordered the Scotty Mount and have been to BatteriesPlus today looking at power options. Seems there are infinite configurations of 12V batteries in terms of size and amps per hour.

I'll probably take my fish finder specs back with me (should have thought about that the fist time) and let them figure out what size battery will get me through a 4 or 5 hour fishing trip. Not looking to get through the whole summer on one charge, and since the battery will be coming in and out of the boat during transport it won't hurt me to charge it between trips anyway.

I'll be sure to post pics of the completed install once I have time this coming week to play with it some more. Out of town at the moment and won't be able to get to it for a few more days once I do get back to the house.

Any ideas on where I can get some "foam" to create my mounting "bracket" for the transducer? Does Lowe's or HD sell something that would hold up to the wet conditions? Should I look at a crafts store...maybe they might have something used for creating flower arrangements that could be cut and glued to the hull?

Thanks again for all your input.
Bo

#14 ·
Did you find or get a pool noodle?Let me know If you need a piece....got one out in the shop.as for a battery i run a radio shack 12V dry cell lantern battery,light, can be mounted upsidedown, and found two on clearance for $1.99 each. the shack also has the fuse holder wire and connectors you will need, as will most auto stores.
Darrin

#15 ·
Guys-

I got the fish finder temporarily rigged and managed to successfully test it this weekend. I say "temporarily" because the head unit is permanently mounted and wires are ran, but the battery is laying loose in the hull currently and the transducer is held over the side with a PVC arm I made just for the maiden voyage.

I've got to say that I love this thing. I'm already wishing I had stepped up to a side view, but this will serve me well enough for now. I've attached a few pics of the head unit...one with a fish I managed to locate in some structure about 12 ft down.

I'll try to get some more pics of the install up once the battery and transducer are a little more secured. I'm actually considering leaving the PVC setup on the boat for a while. I really like having the temp sensor in the water for an accurrate read on surface temp. Not sure I'm ready to give that up until it gets a little warmer!

BTW, thanks for the advice on the battery. I went with with the standard 12V 7ah as you guys suggested. I used it for almost 10 hours with full power on the light setting and didn't phase it. I could probably get a few more trips out of it before a charge is required...very happy I went that route.

Enjoy,
Bo

P.S. For some reason I'm unable to post the pics to this message...I've attached a link to a prior post with the pics to which I was referencing. Hopefully, it will send you to the proper page.

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/114/january-23-m-g-bank-fishing-20460-13.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.