NC Angler Forums banner

Which is the best MONOFILAMENT line on a baitcasting reel?

• A limp mono line like Sufix Elite (red box) or Trilene XL (red box)

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A stiff abrasion resistant mono line like Sufix Siege (blue box) or Trilene XT (blue box)

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • First two choices perform about the same on a baitcaster

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I don't know or care, I use something other than mono on my baitcasters (flouro, braid, etc.)

Votes: 5 27.8%

Best type mono for baitcasting reel

Freshwater 
4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  capefearfly 
#1 ·
Which is the better line for a baitcaster, in terms of overall bass fishing performance? A limp line like Sufix Elite (red box) or Trilene XL (red box), or a stiff abrasion resistant line like Sufix Siege (blue box) or Trilene XT (blue box)?

#2 ·
For it me the type of line depends on technique. I have mono, flouro, and braid tied on different reels depending on what I plan on doing with them and the reel specs. If you are going for overall adaptability then I would go for a flouro (I like P-Line) or a mono (I like either Suffix series).

I personally don't see an enormous difference in the 2 Suffix lines, but both of them work very well for me. I have used both on spinning and baitcasting gear and love them!

If you do a lot of fishing in heavy cover I would recommend the Siege or XT. If you fish a lot more open water then the Elite or XL may be better. If you do both, as most of us tend to do, then I don't think you can go wrong....although I hate Trilene.

#7 ·
Have several freshwater baitcaster rigs with a combination of Power-Pro Braid, Vicious Fluoro and Gamma mono. Been using these for a couple of years and for me the key is treating the mono & fluoro with the KVD Line & Lure. Really takes the memory out especially in the super cold like lately. It also will help braid from fading so fast.

#8 ·
Just like has been said depends on the situation. I almost exclusively use braid since most of my fishing is shallow water less than 14 feet and getting down to depth is not really a problem. If I need to get down deep with a crankbait I have a rod rigged up with trilene xl. If in clear water I tie on a fluoro leader on both the braid and mono I have found it increases my hook ups. I use fireline, trilene xl and vanish flouro just have never had any problems with the berkley lines and if it ain't broke don't fix it I say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.