Thread: Mullet run?

Default Mullet run?

When do the jumping mullet usually show up?

Default Re: Mullet run?

If you mean the hard head or pop-eye mullet that folks eat the best time is in the fall around about the time of the Mullet Festival in Swansboro. If you are asking because you saw Wayne Pierce catching them on rod and reel, never seen anyone do that in these parts. They catch'em in cast nets. I caught 100's of pounds growing up and sold them to Bobby Provost at the Red Barn. Commercial operations use trawls and or gill nets.

I was talking about the one that is used for bait, was wondering if they show up in big numbers off the beach like they do in SC and FL. I wanted to plan a trip in that time frame hopefully for sharks and blues

I've seen people fish for them with bream busters and using red wigglers as bait.

Late fall is when the mullet run is going on. They are some still in the backs of creeks but you will have to look hard to find some.
    kahuna1 likes this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Small mullet minnow show up beginning of May.
    kahuna1 likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kahuna1 View Post
    I was talking about the one that is used for bait, was wondering if they show up in big numbers off the beach like they do in SC and FL. I wanted to plan a trip in that time frame hopefully for sharks and blues
    I believe you are referring to what we often call, finger mullet. They are small striped or silver mullet (aka pop-eye or jumping mullet). The larger ones are here year round but the spring hatch will yield loads and loads of the small ones which get to be about finger size in May.
    Check out my website: TopsailAngler.com for information on fishing the Topsail area. Follow me on Facebook.
    TackleMonkey.com - the LOCAL tackle shop for the NCAngler.com online community!

Cool thanks

Jumping, hard head, and pop-eye mullet are different names for the same fish which show up usually in the summer/fall.

i have seen mullet in the neuse in the late sping as far up as goldsboro and yes they were being caught on red worms.......i was at core creek one year and people at the ramp were filling up buckets of them......that said usually you see just a few here and there jumping out tof the water............i have no idea what they are doing in fresh water as i dont think they spawn in fresh water but maybe someone else can chime in on that..mack
    MackinNCblog.blogspot.com
    Real Men Paddle Canoes...Yaks are for Sissies, mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158,
    2 OT 119's, 1232 Jon Boat

Carolina Outdoor journal had an episode where the guys were catching them on flies in the Pee Dee river, just below the Blewett Falls Dam in Richmond/Anson county. That is a long way from saltwater. Found this link on another site
    http://www.southeastflyfishingforum....er-t19110.html

caught them below blewetts awesome fight on my sons micro light.

I caught one last year at the milburnie dam during the shad run on a PT nymph. Benn fishing there since 99 and thats the first one I ever saw that far up the neuse.