Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walleye at Buggs/Dan/Stauton?

Default Walleye at Buggs/Dan/Stauton?

Hi, new to the group and thought I'd toss this question out.
    Anyone catch walleye in Buggs/Dan/Stauton?

I've read that there's a run in the Dan & more so up the Stauton in Feburary, but that's all I've read or can find on the web. This of course means walleye in Kerr Lake, but I've never heard of anyone targeting them there, not even catching any by accident.
    I'm really interested as they're great on the table, but James and points Westward just aren't convenient for a day trip.
    Anyone here ever caught any intentionally or by accident? And if so could you pass along some pointers?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Walleye at Buggs/Dan/Stauton?

Not sure about where to catch them down there. But some tips for ya as i have targeted them here in Maryland.

I like to use rattle traps and anything that makes alot of noise.

They are aggressive and will strike something to kill it even if they are not hungry! Great fighters.... One of my favorite fish to catch
    papadave likes this.

I understand they are in lake Gaston
    papadave likes this.

I've heard about Gaston too, but again no specific reports of fish caught.

Had my first walleye, or pike perch, in Russia last fall. Good fight and darned fine on the table. We were fishing the Volga river in 60 or so feet of water with 3/4 to 1 oz jigs and various light colored grubs. I remembered reading about some walleyes on the Dan so I thought it'd be worth following up on.

I have heard there are good numbers in Lake Gaston as well. I personally know someone that caught one over 10 pounds several years ago on a crankbait there.
    papadave likes this.

A guy in my club caught a decent one at Gaston during a club tourny and I have heard of several others caught. He was right near the Poplar creek ramp. I would guess if Gaston has them Kerr would too as most of gaston's water comes through Kerr first. I believe I snagged a walleye fingerling on a crankbait at Kerr in march but I was not positive. Partner and I agreed it most looked like a walleye though.
    papadave likes this.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Captains Club
    US Armed Services Veteran

There is also the possiblility they could be sauger...a close relative of the walleye. I lived near Clark Hill reservoir in GA and it held sauger. Infact, the GA state record of 4 pounds and some change came from that lake.

Yellow perch are also in the family of the walleye which is probably why they taste good, too!
    papadave likes this.

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

virginia stockes them in kerr and gaston......i havent cauhgt one but i know some who have caught them in the dan just belowd danville..one of my freinds caught one about 5 lbs on a 4 in sassy shad in the dan fishing for stripers.....they run soon....most guys are on the water after the run....staunton is supposedto be better .........me and nats dad have made a plan and hopefully soon we will have some walleye reports............well at least Nats dad can take the pics
    jpond686 likes this.

MackinNCblog.blogspot.com
    Real Men Paddle Canoes...Yaks are for Sissies, mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158,
    2 OT 119's, 1232 Jon Boat

Thanks mack, please keep me posted on how you two do.
    Will you be boating, or fishing from the bank?

Sauger/walleye are a big draw in north central Illinois river. Spring Valley hosts either FLW or MWC opening walleye tourneys there. Anyway most guys will jig and slip with the current or pull cranks against.

we have several spots scouted out....a couple are floats and a coulpe can be done from the bank.....one i have in mind that i may do is a short float to a hole where i hasve reports of them stacking up then a short paddle back......mid feb to late feb is suppossed to be good.......i have wanted to do this for years as where i grew up on the haw was 29 mile to the dan river......i just dont like getting in a canoe when its cold........dangerous and i dont like it but i am going to try it weather permitting.....i have everuy other thursday off if you ever want to go.....cant guaratee anything as to catching as i have never fished for walleye...............mack
    Real Men Paddle Canoes...Yaks are for Sissies, mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158,

Mack give me a call when you do up. I will get in my yak.

hey guys i have fished behind biggs island dam for years and well i can say from experience that if you go up there is april and use a stick bait in the fire tiger color. you cna fish from the bank and just cast out you lure and let the water work the lure and when it comes down by the rocks you will have alot of fun....

mack, the last few times I've rode up to the 62 ramp, or up to D'ville the river has been really full, and derned if it ain't snowing up here AGAIN this weekend. I've done a lot of cold water canoeing, it's not so bad. Cold water is one thing, flood water full of floating limbs & logs is another. Gotta be really careful in that stuff. I'd like to join you guys from the bank, if the weather allows, but I think I'll pass on the float trip unless we get a week of dry weather to let the river drop a bit.

yeah i used to float all the time in winter....for ducks........always had a partner for saftey..............i meant that i dont like going out by myself in cold water as it is too dangerous.......in spring and summer i am out all the time by myself as my days off are not like a lotof other peoples.......i floated the dan about 5 years ago from danville to 62 on new years day and it was cold!!!!!!!!!!!!....mack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast