Thread: Tar River Striped Bass

Default Tar River Striped Bass

I'm sure this past weekend some of you went fishing around this area. I was wondering if you guys had any luck catching the stripers. Just bought me a kayak today and was hoping to try it out next weekend. Hopefully someone gives me a report on how they did out here. Thanks

Default Re: Tar River Striped Bass

Its a little early for the Tar River yet. There have been some in the lower Roanoke past Plymouth, NC. At least folks have been fishing for them. There was a report earlier about a guy who was out there and claimed he caught about 25. Heck, I say people out there putting in their boats to fish back during January when I was duck hunting. From what I've seen, they usually come up the Neuse near New Bern and the Roanoke first, but they are in the Tar too. Last year a foursome I was in on two boats caught 20 just south of Rocky Mount and before Tarboro. Good Luck! Go get'em!
    So much water, so many fish, so little time
    Jeremiah 29:11, Luke 16:11

I was out there today, in the upper Neuse river. Caught 3 21-22 inch stripers (kept 2) around 3:00. I used a chartreuse and white bucktail jig that had a small spinner under it's chin, can't remember the name of it. We were drifting along the eastern bank, casting up towards the trees. The bites came in about 6 feet of water. Beautiful day.

I launched my hobie out of Washington at trantors Creek this morning. Found the rock about 2 miles south of Grimeland. about 3.5 miles from the launch. Found a bunch stacked up. Caught about 30 total. Lost another 20 or so, setting the hook is a little troublesome. Plus, 3 gar. Around 10 under 18", 10 or more in the slot and the rest out of slot. I caught a couple 5lb'rs. A beautiful day. Those fish can really fight. Btw, yesterday I hooked 10 in front of Bear Creek. Those fish had lock jaw this morning when I tried there. Kept one today and two yesterday. 19,20.5, 21.5, All the fish have been really fat. I remember laster year they were not that fat.
    georgep, and Jimmerz like this.

thanks for the reports guys, i really appreciate it. Pesky i need to get with you one morning on the weekends to go yak fishing for them stripers.

they are at plymouth...and in there thick i caught 25 and the boat beside me caught 82 however they had been there since 7..i got there at 11
    Red X Anglers