Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite smallie lures, and live bait.

Default Re: Favorite smallie lures, and live bait.

I had great success last year on our New River trip with the Bass Pro Shops Triple Ripple Grub in solid white. I have bought alot more in several colors anticipating this years trip. I also had some good success with tubes and with poppers on the float I took with Eversodull.

Thanks Ray. Nice hearing from you. It will be nice seeing you again this year. I didn't realize I already had so many lures that would hae worked for smallies, but it is good hearing what everyone's favorites are.

Hope everyone keeps posting their favorite here, and telling about the colors and how they like to use them.
    RED X ANGLER

I must agree with Mr. Hobbs, when it comes to a river moving water fishery I cant say that I have found anything that works better than a Hellgamite, crawdads are a close second but just not quite there.

In a lake that holds smallies I like a Super Spook in the Jimmy Houston, Okie Shad color, the one with the Chartruse back. It angers them badly, and fish as big as the lure all the way up to the nice ones will attack it.
    If God wanted us to work then Why did he create Fish!! RED X ANGLER

Rooster tails and moving water are a hard combination to beat! I used that combination growing up fishing streams and rivers and have yet to be disappointed.

I also like the white...and the red and white. I also favor the gold blades over the silver and have been known to change a few in my day!

I don't get to fish rivers that much any more, but I still keep Rooster tails in the box...just in case!
    Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

Hey RouseD,

I guess this somewhat depends on your definition of best. The best way to catch them as in getting numbers of fish, or the best way to catch them as in the coolest way to catch them. I absolutely love catching smallies on a Super Spook Jr. If they're biting on top it is awesome how hard they'll crash a topwater plug. I try and throw natural colors with the spook. Either the baby bass or one of their shad imitations. I'll also use a bone colored Pop-R or a floating Rapala.

As for your wacky rigging question, you are correct about the hook through the middle of the Senko for wacky rigging, but that can be pretty hard on the bait. Senkos are notorious for tearing easily and hooking through the middle of them can wear them out pretty quickly. If you go to your local hardware store or plumbing supply store, you can get some o-rings that are just about the same diameter as the Senkos. If you put one of those on your bait and then slide the hook under that, instead of putting it through the bait, your Senkos will last a little longer.

Hope this helps a little,

Mike
    h2ohhh likes this.

Speaking of Hellgammites, has anyone used the Rebel Hellgammite hard bait? How's it do?

Great tip on the O rings for Senkos Mike. Thannks.

Anyone like other manufacturer's worms, other then Senkos, that are like Senkos. I have soime Wave Worms that look like them. TYhey are the Baby Tiki-Stick, in the swirl series. Doesn't appear to have as much salt as the Senkos. Not sure if that makes any difference. Haven't checked on line for the Wave Worms, but I think they have been bought out.
    RED X ANGLER

Kinami baits are the same as Senkos, but are produced for the mass market stores like Wal-Mart. They come from the same factory, they just don't make them in the variety of colors that Senkos come in. They are cheaper though so if you have a Senko color you like that is made under the Kinami name, you can save a couple of bucks by going to Wal-Mart.

Mike

Thanks LNB,that is what this site is all about. I will check at Wal Mart to see if the one here has them.
    RED X ANGLER

I use 3" Senko's 90% of the time... they catch fish!

I have seen very few, if any 3 " Senkos, or Senko look alikes in Kinston. I checked at EZ Bait and Tackle in Goldsboro, and they had them in either one or 2 colors. The owner said he was ordering a couple of each color of the 3 inch Senkos. I'll either go back and check on those, or I will have to oder some. I may be able to get a Senko look alike from Cabelas for less money.

Outback, are you convinced the Senkos catch more then the Senko look alikes? If I am catching fish on a certain lure, it is difficult for me to change.
    RED X ANGLER

Chadilac, never fished with live or artificial helgramites, but I do know that the Rebel Wee Craws have doen well. aong with the Rebel Teeny Wee Craw. Just guessing, I would say that the Rebel Helgramite would do well also.

Ray Wells, your responce was something I am looking for also. It is nice to know what worked for everyone last year, or to hear what worked for people who fish all year for smallies.
    Chadillac likes this.

RED X ANGLER

Case Plastics makes a great hellgramite imitation along with mad toms, several size and type worms, shad flukes, etc including a senko type bait. Google em. Good stuff and good folks.

I like numerous baits but these are my favorites:

Split shot rigs with smaller worms, hellgramites
    Case Maigic stix
    Case shad fluke type bait
    A small sized Big O by Cotton Cordell
    Rebel craw
    Tiny Torpedo or zara spook (puppy)
    Smaller husky jerks or X raps.

Live bait = Hellgramite

I too am a moving water guy.. Wading or canoe or yak
    Chadillac likes this.

NCMitch, thnks for you input. I'm new at fishing in moving water, at least the kind with rocks all in it. Lst year was my 1st time. I do coastal and a lot of fresh water fishing in eastern NC. I am about 1 hour from the coast.
    Can the helgramites be bought locally for live bait? I know that h2o does well on nightcrawlers. I watched him last year, and the smallies were eating those nighcrawlers up.
    RED X ANGLER

I've never heard of anyplace selling them. We don't divulge our secret grampus spots. Always bites when you go back and find the rocks turned over and someone has found your spot. You can seine them too, just find a rocky creek and have someone above the net scoot their feet. Funny thing happened a couple of years ago with helgramites. Best friend called me late one summer evening, he had found the motherlode. they were litterally crawling out of a little spring and crossing a road near the frencch broad river. he gathered up several cans and keep them moist ( not wet) for a while in his fridge. just a word of advice, WATCH YOUR FINGERS when you put em on the hook. they are aggravating little boogers when they are all pinched together and you can't seperate them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast