Thread: catfishing on mountain island lake

Default catfishing on mountain island lake

not giving up on the bass yet guys,! but want to know about the channel cats in mountain island, had a friend tell me that some buddys travled from outta town to make a special trip to mountain island for channel cat, and left after an overnight fishing trip with 100 lbs of catfish!!!..Wanna try my luck this weekend any hints or secrets

I`m not much of a catfishermen but they are definitely in MIL.
    I`ve always been told behind (downstream) of the big sandbar up from Neck Rd is a good spot.
    Big baits (bream or white perch) for big blues.
    Since they`ve just recently installed cameras at riverbend (hwy 16 ramp) I`d suggest going there if you`re leaving a car overnight.
    "Them Hardcore boys"

Siler, it depends on what you want to catch. For a trip just to come test it out, I would suggest buying a sabiki rig first of all. They have them in the saltwater section of bass pro. They have about 6 small hooks tied to a leeder with a barrel swivel on one end and a clip swivel on the other. Put a small spoon of anything on a jighead to make it heavy enough to cast. I do also suggest you have at least one rod 7 feet or longer and light action (crappie rod) to use the sabiki as it gets difficult to throw the long rig from a short rod.

Now I know you are thinking, why is he telling me how to catch a bunch of small fish. Because on Mt. Island the white perch fillet is the best bait for catching multiple channel cats. You will be able to find the perch feeding at sunrise and sunset almost without fail this time of year. The very back of Gar Creek is a awesome for catching these bait sized perch. If you are fishing from land, the Latta Plantation canoe access is right there and will be good for catching the perch and channel cats. By boat, go to the big rocks that are in the middle of the cove, all the way in the back, and just start bouncing the sibiki rig on the bottom in 4-6 feet of water or shallower. And if you have a cast net, you should have enough bait for me and you in a very short amount of time, in that same area and time of day.

I have also had luck catching the channels on stink bait, but I hate that they always seem to swallow the hook. (that may be inexperience by me) It definately works though.

Bream fillets or cutbait also works great. Beating the banks with nightcrawlers any time of day should yeild a healthy bait supply if you go that route.

As far as where to fish for the cats. I would suggest you start on the rocky bank, on the right side, coming from the river channel,in what I call the "narrow neck" that brings you into where to the Gar Creek canoe access("the beach") is. From there work yourself around toward the main channel on the same side.

I am very interested to see how you do if you make the trip. Look forward to hearing from you,

Katfish
    FishinCary likes this.

I just reread my post. I failed to tell you that you should be successful at catching small (salt and pepper size) channels as well as the white perch mentioned above on a medium sized jig head with a 1.5 inch peice of fillet or a very small piece of cut bait (not recommened for the jig head set up). For a little bigger fish you can move up to a regular hook about the size of a worm hook for bass. my appologies for not memorizing my hook sizes. That should get you away from the smaller fish and keep you specifically on catfish.

Just be sure to watch the fish consumption advisories. They are saying to eat NO catfish from MIL nowadays. Now whether or not thats completely true is up to you to believe, Ive eaten my fair share of cats off that lake.

As far as spots go, Ive had good luck where the lake turns "left" near Latta, there are a couple deep holes that are holding them. Good luck when you go and post up some pics!