Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass Fishing In Jacksonville, NC

Default Bass Fishing In Jacksonville, NC

Want to know if there are any freshwater bass fishermen in Jacksonville, NC that can point me to some good Bass fishing spots, I havent had any luck so far in finding some good freshwater wholes, all I have found so far is brackish water.

Around Jax that is all you will find. But there is still bass in it and some good ones.
    FOR HE GAVE HIS TO SAVE MAN'S SOUL _____ I WOULD GIVE MINE TO SET MAN FREE---RED X ANGLER

If you have access to base, then there is some quality ponds abord Camp Lejeune. There is a series of pay ponds in Mayseville (costs $5 i think to fish there) & I think that is where the rock quarry is. I've never fished them, but my Marines that Bass fish say that they are good ponds for not only bass, but catfish as well. Hope this helps out somewhat...I know how you feel, I drive 3 hrs away up to Jordan so that I can bass fish on my boat.

Thanks Hoskins, and Venom 17, I will definitely check Lejeune out, I thought about hitting Jordon a few times. I live in JAX but I am from Concord, NC and I pass Jordan Lake on my way to and from Concord, NC.

well im from jacksonville, and live in charlotte, so i hear ya on passing those lakes in the triangle area. the rock quarry and hwy17 campground ponds can produce as long as there aint a ton of people out there, in my experiences anyways. there is also a pond behind the plum point plaza shopping center that i have caught a ton of 6-7 inch bass on about 7 years ago, but i havent been that way in forever. if you can find an access, i know it will produce something, whether panfish, bass, or catfish, all the times i made it out there, i never once saw a person other than my buddies that came with me.

there is also a good size pond (small lake) in hubert. right off of hwy 24 just past kayo's service center. never fished it, but have seen fish there and its crystal clear. last i heard it was owned by the family who owns the small pawn shop next to it. good luck and ill ask my dad's friends to see what info they have to give.

Thanks, there is nonthing like the lakes in and near the Charlotte area, I miss them big time, but I also enjoy fishing the coast, its just sometimes you want the quiet solitude that a lake or pond has to offer, along with some big fat bass. Lol

I have fished the rock quarries and the campground ponds in maysville numerous times this year and they have both produced pretty well for me. I fished the quarries on saturday and two guys lost bass that were in the 8-9 lb range. i only caught one but other guys were catching them pretty well.

Did you use artificial bait, or did you have to use live bait. So far my Bass catching is in a slump, especially with artificial bait in the rivers and creeks. I have usually had better luck with shrimp, but even with shrimp the bass avoiding my hooks.

Try a super fluke in early morning around cover. Once the sun gets up go to the bottom with a worm or creature bait. And try to fish the tide when it is moving. Find corners where the tide is pushing on, in or out.

Last time I fished the quarries, we put 7 in the boat. Largest was around 3.5 lbs. They are in there. Seen a couple that would go 8-10lbs but very spooky.
    crabbypaddyktd likes this.

FOR HE GAVE HIS TO SAVE MAN'S SOUL _____ I WOULD GIVE MINE TO SET MAN FREE---RED X ANGLER

Appreciate those pointers, will definitely put them to use.

i was using a texaz rigged redshad trick worm flipping into the shadows along the bank.

OK, haven't lived in jax very long but I have found one place that I catch at least one keeper bass each trip out, and that is sutton lake in wilmington. Usually catch them on a black zoom u-tail plastic worm on the ledges of the "channel" along wind blown banks. The bass there are tricky because the lake is a water cool down for the plant that is there. I am told the lake has very large channel cat but never tried for em......also caught a keeper flounder there on the same bait while bass fishing.

About the rock quarry....is there a boat ramp?? and can i get some directions from jax please!

If you fish the lakes on base, either New River or Lejeune, you have to go to the Game Warden's office on Lejeune and buy a license to fish on base. I think its still 10 bux. If you don't get one, its a good fine, a lot more then 10 bux from what I hear.
    RED X ANGLER

Yes, Sutton has some hogs in it. I have seen several bass over 6 from there. And seen bigger swimming the banks. As for catfish, they are monsters that lurk in the middle (30-50lb range).

There is a boat ramp at the quarries but it has a real good drop off about half way down. From 2-3 feet to 8-10 feet. I have seen 20 foot bassboats in there though. Just have to watch for stumps and rocks when you go from lake to lake. From JAX, get on 17 in front of WallyWorld and head towards New Bern. Once you pass the camp grounds it is the first dirt road on the right. Go all the way to the back.

Yea was told about the lakes on base. I have finally landed me a couple of Bass (large
    mouth) on Camp Lejeune at the Henderson pond. They where both around 12 to 13 inches, not fat yet, but a descent size to enjoy catching them. They are always cruising the banks, and there is a lot of cover around the edges at this pond, and those Bass are constantly stirring all over the place in the mornings, of course the past few days it has been really hot starting around 9am which is when they slow down, but I got a couple of nibbles on a artificial shrimp out in the middle of the pond, some really good hits.

As far as Sutton Lake, I will definitley visit those biggens you guys are telling me about. I appreciate all you guys info, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast