NC Angler Forums banner

Albemarle Sound fishing report?

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  kmizelle 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I am new to the forums, long time fisherman of the Roanoke and Chowan rivers of eastern nc. I had been fishing out of a little 14 ft. Gheenoe that has a 6HP motor. Needless to say, I did not get out much to the "big" water. I have now been blessed with a little bit bigger boat, a 17 ft. key west center console.

Ok so on to the question, I realize it is probably entirely to late to get an answer by tomorrow morning, but I am carrying my 3 yr. old son out to the Albemarle sound tommorow, near Edenton and was curious about what kind of fishing I could do well at this time of the year? I have been in the sound the last few weeks and caught alot of small white perch (minnow size) and wish to put my son on something fun and plentyful to catch.

Any Ideas? I have no qualms with driving as far east as Hertford if needed to run into some better fishing. I appreciate any help, if nothing else we will have fun catching up some white perch.

#5 ·
Launch your boat at the wildlife ramp over by Albemarle Boats in Edenton and head to the sound bridge. Lots of nice white perch for bottom fishing and TONS of rock ranging from 8'' - 20'' or so. You can just about catch one every cast with a rebel or rattlin rouge or similar stickbait.

Definitely enough action to keep the kid entertained.

Be careful out there tomorrow, i think its supposed to be a bit windy.

If the wind is too strong, you can try fishing the mouth of salmon creek and off bal gra for white perch. I caught some nice ones out there last weekend. Water is calm there in a southwest wind.

#6 ·
Thanks 3weight,

I ended up putting in at the 17 bridge and fished towards the power lines and 32 bridge. Water was great at 6AM running out, but it sure got sloppy and was a rough and wet ride back to the 17 bridge! We ended up fishing from 6AM till 11AM and ended up with 15 White perch, 8 of those a good enough size to throw in the live well. Not a bad day at all, Had I known about the rock fish I would have definitely tried that out!

A funny story, I had tied a beetle spin on my son's spiderman fishing rod, just to give him something to throw out and it not do alot of damage. Immediately after I casted the beetle spin out for him I handed the rod over to him and began to throw my lines out the other side of the boat. He said "daddy, daddy, I caught a fish!" and I assured him that he couldn't have caught a fish that fast (matter of seconds). I guess he believed me because a few seconds later he said "whewww, something is taking my fishing pole away!" I turned to look and the rod was bent in half with an obvious strain on it! He reeled in the fish and turned out to be a nice white perch, one of the keepers! I guess next time I will have to listen when he says he caught a fish!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.