Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultralight lures/techniques for trout

Default Ultralight lures/techniques for trout

i was wondering if any one had any advice on fishing for trout with ultralight tackle?
    Take someone fishing who never has. Perserve the sport.

I am not much of a artifical bait trout fisherman, but in May just before the delayed harvest ended I went to Stone mountain and had a great day (14 fish day). I caught 11 of the fish on little pumpkin seed crawdads (1 1/2 inch) from walmart. I had them rigged on a 16th oz jig head with a splitshot as needed, depending on the speed of the water I was in. Little inline spinners are always a good pick.

Darrell
    Catawba, and catchwhatbites like this.

Red X Angler

Joe's Flies, never tried them on trout but panfish love them and they are marketed for trout. You can buy them individually but they also sell a pack of six for 14.99, they're cheaper that way.

Heres the link on to buy them from Cabela's: Joe's Flies Hot-4-Trout Kits : Cabela's

Dick's Sporting Goods also sells them.

yeah i bought some of those...do you weight them with split shot.....and they are like 11.99 at bass pro...

I don't weight them I find that they cast far enough on the ultralight without it.
    catchwhatbites likes this.

90% of my trout fishing is with inline spinners like Mepps or Panther Martin (Check my photos to see 2 of my favorites). I have the most luck with gold blades but you need some nickel too. Brass with dressed hooks, yellow with red spots (or brown back), blue-green are good colors. 1/16-1/8 oz.. May need a split shot on 1/32. I've been using a new rig the last couple of years that also works well. Use a Hildebrandt spinner with a Wooly Bugger or Muddler Minnow fly, 12" -18" leader to a good ball bearing swivel, small bullet weight above the swivel on the main line. This is also a killer for smallies.

My favorite trout spinner is a Blue Fox Vibrax, size 0 in chrome, no hook dressing. If you plan on releasing fish bend the barbs down. Those tiny trebles can really tear up a fish if more than one hook's embedded. Or replace the treble with a single hook.
    Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.

I got one word for you - Rooster Tails! I guess that's two words. I had good success last fall delayed harvest using these. I'm not sure the colors really mattered so much.

So many rivers... so little time. Long may you run.

Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I got one word for you - Rooster Tails! I guess that's two words. I had good success last fall delayed harvest using these. I'm not sure the colors really mattered so much.
    X 2 on the Rooster Tails

I shall go to walmart then and get some rooster tails

Panther Martins!

my 2 cents
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you can sell him your old kayak."

i hear ya on the roostertails. Id go with em too

That does it. Buy some rooster tails, panther martins and blue fox's. All great trout lures. You will find that these are much more effective in moving water than in pools. Cast them upstream and fish them rapidly back towards you.
    Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.

In addition to all of the above VERY good advice, I have been successful using very small brown or black crappie jigs (1/32 oz or smaller & smaller is usually better). It can be cast or drifted under a casting bubble. This method will work in the slower pools where the trout get a chance to look the lure over. My all time favorite spinner for trout is a 1/16 oz Rooster Tail (gold blade, brown body and tail with a single hook). A split shot can be added if more casting distance or depth is required. The 1.5" crappie tubes in pumpkin, melon, or smoke will also work in the same manner as the crappie jigs. A woolly bugger pattern tied on a tiny jig has worked for me as well. Good luck to you!
    Catawba, and dbeam like this.

You can throw flies with certain small floats. I have used corks. Simplest bait for spinning and trout? Crappie jig. Covers lots of ground. fishes deep or shallow. Casts well. They will hit it. Color is a factor.
    dbeam likes this.

Are fishermen all liars?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast