Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Topsail Shark Fishing - Help!

Default Topsail Shark Fishing - Help!

Hey guys, I'm new to fishing for sharks from the surf. I read the other thread recently posted but didn't want to hijack it with a million questions. My main question, is there anyone that fishes Topsail island, and if so maybe some decent spots to try? I've been out twice and haven't hooked one yet.. I'm going out tonight but I am going to get there early and try and snag some Spots and Croakers first for fresh bait, I think my bait has been my main problem. I was told that if I couldn't catch fresh bait fish head scraps from the seafood market works well. Anyone used heads? Also, my gear isn't the greatest, what do you think is the max size shark I could land? I'm using a Penn 5500SS spinning reel, 300yards of 30lb braided. 3-4ft' of 65lb braid and then my rig, 80lb wire and 8/0 hooks. Rod is a 10ft' Star Med-Heavy action. I'm obviously casting my rig. I have a kayak but with only 300yards of line I don't see the point.

Welcome to the site rjm0827. I live on Topsail Island but never targeted sharks off the beach. Please be kind to the sharks and release all unwanted sharks. If you can try to remove any hook(s) if possible when you do get one. Some of the shark are endangered. There are really not that many sharks and that is maybe why you have not hooked into one. Most of them are only 2~4 feet.

Tim C
    B.A.S.S. Life Member (Since 1976) and a Red X Angler

Really? I've heard that the shark action is pretty great right now off the surf here. I've spoken with a few people that have landed a couple 5-6ft' lemons in the past 2 weeks. I'm releasing them all. If you don't have a highly migratory species license it's illegal to keep pretty much any shark caught here.

You can get in alot of sharks on that set up. It's that first run that will test your nerves and drag washers.
    For my casted rigs I use4-5' of 250# mono, barrell swivel on top and bottom, hatwire twist to a 12" trace of wire, 110# and up.
    On the mono I run 3 beads, snap swivel, three beads. Spyder weight goes on the snap swivel. Make a bigger loop on the connection to the hook...this loop will go on one of the legs of the spyder weight prior to casting. This puts the bait and weight at one spot when you cast and eliminates the "bolo" effect and gets you some more distance. When that weight hits the water the hook loop slides off the leg and you are fishing.
    good luck
    beagle

Quote Originally Posted by rjm0827 View Post
    Really? I've heard that the shark action is pretty great right now off the surf here. I've spoken with a few people that have landed a couple 5-6ft' lemons in the past 2 weeks. I'm releasing them all. If you don't have a highly migratory species license it's illegal to keep pretty much any shark caught here.
    What part of the Island are you fishing from? I know that it slowed down once the larger swells from Colin reached the beaches. There is not much swell just some wind chop (looking out the window). Water look murkey close to the beach. I know that we been have some sharks trying to get our king baits but when they try we just raise them up out of the water and watch the sharks go crazy trying to figure out when the bait went. Although a 7~8' spinner took my bait before I could get it up and it put on quite a show almost jumping/spinning as high as the pier. It broke off after it's sixth jump. High tide is about 8PM. What part of the tide were you buddies getting those lemons? Incoming, outgoing, top or bottom. That could make a difference also.

Tim C
    B.A.S.S. Life Member (Since 1976) and a Red X Angler

The wind is kinda rough. Last night it was impossible. I'm fishing north, maybe a 1/4 mile from Surf condos. I'm not sure what the tide was because I don't remember the day they were caught. All were at dusk though.

Try bluefish for bait too, we have caught some nice sharks using whole or parts of blues.

With my setup I am aiming at 3-5ft' sharks. How big should my bait be? I got some whole blues today and chunked them into pieces about the size of my palm.

Keep that bait pole going an if ya catch a small blue, croaker, spot...get that onto a hook live, wade out as far as you can cast it.....for me, many times I never make it back to the beach before that gets blasted. If they are out there, that livey rings the bell. Trim a little of the fins so he struggles.
    beagle

Finally! Caught a nice shark tonight. Pics coming soon.
    Topsail Angler likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rjm0827 View Post
    Finally! Caught a nice shark tonight. Pics coming soon.
    Awesome! We llok forward to the pictures and details.
    Check out my website: TopsailAngler.com for information on fishing the Topsail area. Follow me on Facebook.
    TackleMonkey.com - the LOCAL tackle shop for the NCAngler.com online community!

Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
    Welcome to the site rjm0827. I live on Topsail Island but never targeted sharks off the beach. Please be kind to the sharks and release all unwanted sharks. If you can try to remove any hook(s) if possible when you do get one. Some of the shark are endangered. There are really not that many sharks and that is maybe why you have not hooked into one. Most of them are only 2~4 feet.

Tim C
    Yeah, dont kill the sharks. I was at kitty hawk pier in early summer and i stayed out late on the pier one night there was a wedding party so they didnt close it down. I asked the guys fishin for sharks what they did if they caught one. They were kids mostly a few years older than me, and they said "thats when the fun begins, we pull it up on the shore and beat it to death with a baseball bat, and leave it for the tourists to see in the morning. To all reading this please dont do the same, i dont see the point in beatin a shark to death, seems brutal and close minded.
    Rod Wielder likes this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4694.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	14858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4692.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	14859
    mookie, and ryano like this.

Nurse shark. I released it shortly after pics. Was an awesome fight. I'm going to make another post, I want to find someone in the Topsail area that would like to meet up and do some shark fishing. I have a kayak and a pole but it's a hassle with just me. I want to pull some late/all nighters and catch some big boys. PM me or reply to new thread if interested.

Good job...here's a fatty from AB from a previous July trip
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0031.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	14892

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast