NC Angler Forums banner

Topsail Shark Fishing - Help!

Surf 
22K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  NCPIERMAN 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to fishing for sharks from the surf. I read the other thread recently posted but didn't want to hijack it with a million questions. My main question, is there anyone that fishes Topsail island, and if so maybe some decent spots to try? I've been out twice and haven't hooked one yet.. I'm going out tonight but I am going to get there early and try and snag some Spots and Croakers first for fresh bait, I think my bait has been my main problem. I was told that if I couldn't catch fresh bait fish head scraps from the seafood market works well. Anyone used heads? Also, my gear isn't the greatest, what do you think is the max size shark I could land? I'm using a Penn 5500SS spinning reel, 300yards of 30lb braided. 3-4ft' of 65lb braid and then my rig, 80lb wire and 8/0 hooks. Rod is a 10ft' Star Med-Heavy action. I'm obviously casting my rig. I have a kayak but with only 300yards of line I don't see the point.

#2 ·
Welcome to the site rjm0827. I live on Topsail Island but never targeted sharks off the beach. Please be kind to the sharks and release all unwanted sharks. If you can try to remove any hook(s) if possible when you do get one. Some of the shark are endangered. There are really not that many sharks and that is maybe why you have not hooked into one. Most of them are only 2~4 feet.

Tim C

#12 ·
Yeah, dont kill the sharks. I was at kitty hawk pier in early summer and i stayed out late on the pier one night there was a wedding party so they didnt close it down. I asked the guys fishin for sharks what they did if they caught one. They were kids mostly a few years older than me, and they said "thats when the fun begins, we pull it up on the shore and beat it to death with a baseball bat, and leave it for the tourists to see in the morning. To all reading this please dont do the same, i dont see the point in beatin a shark to death, seems brutal and close minded.

#3 ·
Really? I've heard that the shark action is pretty great right now off the surf here. I've spoken with a few people that have landed a couple 5-6ft' lemons in the past 2 weeks. I'm releasing them all. If you don't have a highly migratory species license it's illegal to keep pretty much any shark caught here.

#5 ·
What part of the Island are you fishing from? I know that it slowed down once the larger swells from Colin reached the beaches. There is not much swell just some wind chop (looking out the window). Water look murkey close to the beach. I know that we been have some sharks trying to get our king baits but when they try we just raise them up out of the water and watch the sharks go crazy trying to figure out when the bait went. Although a 7~8' spinner took my bait before I could get it up and it put on quite a show almost jumping/spinning as high as the pier. It broke off after it's sixth jump. High tide is about 8PM. What part of the tide were you buddies getting those lemons? Incoming, outgoing, top or bottom. That could make a difference also.

Tim C

#4 ·
You can get in alot of sharks on that set up. It's that first run that will test your nerves and drag washers.
For my casted rigs I use4-5' of 250# mono, barrell swivel on top and bottom, hatwire twist to a 12" trace of wire, 110# and up.
On the mono I run 3 beads, snap swivel, three beads. Spyder weight goes on the snap swivel. Make a bigger loop on the connection to the hook...this loop will go on one of the legs of the spyder weight prior to casting. This puts the bait and weight at one spot when you cast and eliminates the "bolo" effect and gets you some more distance. When that weight hits the water the hook loop slides off the leg and you are fishing.
good luck
beagle

#9 ·
Keep that bait pole going an if ya catch a small blue, croaker, spot...get that onto a hook live, wade out as far as you can cast it.....for me, many times I never make it back to the beach before that gets blasted. If they are out there, that livey rings the bell. Trim a little of the fins so he struggles.
beagle

#14 ·
Nurse shark. I released it shortly after pics. Was an awesome fight. I'm going to make another post, I want to find someone in the Topsail area that would like to meet up and do some shark fishing. I have a kayak and a pole but it's a hassle with just me. I want to pull some late/all nighters and catch some big boys. PM me or reply to new thread if interested.

#17 ·
Nice nurse...we dont see many of those caught here in NC.

Good luck sharking, there are some big ones out there. My buddies have hooked a few that popped us off like it was nothing. We're using 80W's with 200lb line

#18 ·
I hooked into 2 last night that I just couldn't move with my gear. Braided line is really irritating me on my spinning setup.. It's pulling over the top of itself on the spool and causing huge knots. I lost 100+ yards of it last night b/c of this and I just spooled the stuff.

#21 ·
I seriously did haha. Yes, it is working much better now. I listed me gear in the first port. Just borrowed a 4/0 Senator today though and bought some 250lb mono for leaders. The next one is coming in no matter what! Going to kayak it out tomorrow. Should have some new pictures for tomorrow night.

Heres one I caught the other day. The tourists freaked, probably the best part of the fight.
Shorts Bermuda shorts Trunks Human Sky

#22 ·
congrats and be careful on what sharks ya try to keep most have to be 54 inches in length to keep and some are off limits so check the regs good before keeping any and as others have said if you not gonna keep em DONT KILL them ;)

#24 ·
Another good catch.
My 5 main NC beach shark reels are;
Penn 950ss with 30# mono on the bottom and 80# braid on the top
Daiwa 50slx SHA with 40# mono on the bottom and 80# braid on top
Okuma Solterra same as above
Daiwa 6/0 80# dacron on the bottom and 60# mono on top
Penn 6/0 the same

Would like to have a 4/0 wide and a 6/0 wide. That pretty much rules out needing a 9/0.
beagle

#27 ·
A penn 6/0 can put out 22# of drag.
9/0, can do 23-24# of drag.
I have a Baja Special that puts out 27# max.
If you put braid and mono on a 6 wide or 9..You will have plenty of drag and line to stop 95% of what you will hook up on the beaches here in NC. Most folks cannot stand and move on the beach with more than 18# . I wear a glove and add if I want. There is a lot of folks getting into this that are so over gunning their tackle that they are taking more time to beach the fish due to the tackle size, than is really required. You have to be able to use your body and arms to fight the fish, not fight the tackle.
Most folks are suprised at the tackle you can whoop up on a decent fish with. Take your time. 2c
beagle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.