Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tide at fort fisher

Question tide at fort fisher

Does anybody know what the lag time between high tide at fort fisher boat ramp and bald head island or another major reference point.

Thanks
    mike

Try this:

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.co...des.php?id=151

About 1/2 hour difference (lag) in the first and second bays from these times.

I'll be headed down to Fort Fisher later in Sept. I have a question about your question. Are you asking in regards to the fishing specifically, or are there areas around Fort Fisher that will become shallow enough to worry about? I was under the impression that the boat ramp area at Fort Fisher is deep enough not to worry about water depth. Thanks!

If you're fishing from a kayak you don't have anything to worry about. In a boat you're going to need something with a very shallow draft. I've watched a lot of boats not make it out of the ramp if they draft more than 8 inches, possibly as little as 6 inches.

Great thanks-sorry to hijack the posting mth! I wasn't sure if there is enough moving tide there to worry about fighting a current.

There's enough current to get your attention in a kayak... At peak flows, it can be tough to get past certain points. Most of the time it's passable.
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
    the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that
    nobody would believe me anyway."

Tide Location Selection for N. Carolina

This site gives several locations along the CF including BHI, Southport, Fort Caswell, Orton pt., etc. Shouldn't be much difference between SP and Fort Fisher as it's only a little over five miles between them

There is about an hour difference between Southport and FF.

Skooteri posted the best way to find the times. Get the Zeke's Island chart and add 30 minutes to those times.

There's a jetty between the Cape Fear River and The Basin at Ft. Fisher - that's a big reason why there's more of a tide difference than you'd think. The tide station at Zeke's Island is just outside this jetty (on the river side) -- so as the tide crests at the Zeke's Island monitoring station, the water's pouring over the jetty into the basin... and the basin fills about 30 minutes behind the crest on the river side.
    sandbar likes this.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
    the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that
    nobody would believe me anyway."

I'll bow to the first hand experience of others here. I was just going by the saltwatertides info on Reaves pt. and Southport, which is both on the river side, and less than 30 minutes in tide difference. I don't get out of the creek much.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info i plan on headind that way this friday afternoon. I hope to fish the weekend if the hurricane don't throw a wrench in the game plan.

I use saltwatertides.com I go off of downtown Wilmington, Fort Fisher is pretty much dead on with Wilmington. Like others said because of the Jetty's it does take longer for the water to get into and out of Fort Fisher.

Skooteri's suggestion work work fine as well
    Heroes on the Water
    Cape Fear Chapter Coordinator

is the boat acces at federal point 24/7 access? also is there tent camping nearby?

yes, 24/7 on the ramp/.

Several campgrounds: Carolina Beach state park is best facility, but getting in and out between 10pm and 8 am is not possible. There are a couple private campgrounds on river road, just over the bridge Carolina Beach Family campground and one other that I don't know the name. No recommendations on these.

I was at Fort Fisher this past weekend. Wife and I were just walking around and checking out the place for a potential RV stay. I walked out on that pier they have that goes into the Cape Fear river. Looked like action was slow the day I was there. How is the fishing on the river side over there? Based on the structure and water quality, it looks like it would be a great spot for specs come October.
    Andy - OK PT13
    US Navy Retired
    "I don't exaggerate... I just remember BIG!" - Anonymous

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast