Thread: New flounder setup - conventional rod/reel

Hybrid View

Default New flounder setup - conventional rod/reel

Hey guys

I have been looking to upgrade my outfit with a flounder-specific conventional rod/reel. I have a general idea as to what I am looking for, but would love some input from you guys as to what you are specifically using. I have my inshore spinning outfits dialed in; just want some advice on the conventional/baitcasting setups out there and why.

For flatties I like my Shimano Calcutta 250 baitcaster mounted on a 7' AllStar MH rod and spooled up with 30 lb. Powerpro though you could certainly downsize the test on the line...I use the same rod for some larger target species too and that test line is pretty versatile.

Because of a flounder's tendency to strike lightly I find the combination of the baitcaster and braid on a quality rod for maximum sensitivity and feel when fishing C-rigs and heavy jigs. I stick with a spinning outfit with 15 lb. braid and fluoro leader when fishing light 1/8 oz. Gulp tipped jigs.
    Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.

Another alternative is the Ambassadeur 5500C3 or 6500C3 reeels with a matched 6.6 or 7 foot rod.

<*)))))>{
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Beware of the super cheap baitcasting reels. They will not have sealed bearings nor durable gears and drag. When a drum or ray decides to take your flounder bait, the cheap reels will give up the fight and let you down. I use older Quantum Great White reels and I am happy with them in the salt. Quantum Accurist PT reels can be found on eBay for less than $45 and they are salt ready as well. I prefer medium action rods when I use braid since there is minimal stretch within the line. I have been happy with my 6.5ft Ugly Stick for walking the piers for flounder. I also like All Star, Berkley, and Abu Garcia rods. If I need more casting distance from shore, I use Eagle Claw 8.5ft graphite salmon casting rods in M or MH. They are still light enough to cast all day, but I can get plenty of distance and pick up a lot of line to catch up to a fish moving off with my bait. Again, I picked these rods up on eBay for about $30 each a few years ago.
    Red X Angler
    Made it back to the coast! That feels better.

ditto both posts with special emphasis on sensitivity of braid and the rod as stated by h2ohhh. Keep in mind for salt use you want quality, easy to maintain components as you will need to service the reel often to avoid internal corrosion.

What do you guys think of the Calcutta TE 200GT? I found a good deal at a local shop. Here are some spec's:

Shimano Calcutta TE 100 and 200 Series Round Baitcast Reels

While this will be a dedicated setup, I would like to have some other capabilities for other species of fish (old drum, tarpon, stripers, etc). I don't mind paying the price if it is a quality piece of equipment that will last a long time. Anyone fishing with this specific reel?

I also own a 200 series. The Calcutta is an excellent (though pricey) reel that with a little maintenance (and it's very easy to maintain) will provide you many many years of good service. Both of mine were bought on e-bay, which if you check feedback combined with the number of transactions you can reduce your risk substantially. I paid about $100 for the 250 (which came spooled with Powerpro) and $80 for the 200. That's about a third of what one costs new.
    Brannok812 likes this.

I have always been a fan of the Calcuttas I have seen and fished, but have never owned any myself. How does it hold up to saltwater? Most reviews I have seen are guys throwing big swimbaits or jigs to freshwater bass. What rod are you pairing with your calcuttas? Was looking for something no more than $200.

7'0 Medium Heavy All Star rod, which I love. Paid about $60 on sale at a local shop. Breadman, a VERY knowledgeable flounder killer likes the Star brand even better so my next rod may be one of those. I'd like to blow the budget and get a St. Croix or G. Loomis inshore rod but I'd be suicidal if I closed the door on the tip of one.........

The Calcutta is easy to disassemble for occasional cleaning via a couple of screws on the side plate. I do this once or twice per year unless I do something stupid like dropping it in the surf. Other than that just rinse well with fresh water after each use. Mine are as smooth now as the day I got them. I have heard good reviews on the Shimano model just under the Calcutta too, but I can't remember the name of the reel.
    Crystal Coaster likes this.

I am a big fan of Star rods, as they are a quality built rod with high-end components and finish. They fish great, and are definitely worth checking out.
    h2ohhh likes this.