Thread: My first bass!

Default My first bass!

At least I think they are bass but not sure if they are lmb or smb. I spent yesterday on the Catawba below MIL in my canoe. I put in at the My Holly Rd Launch and paddled up to the dam (that was ambitious and I'm feeling it today!), then floated and fished back to the launch. I hooked 5, landed 3 and kept 2. There's probably no glory in keeping ones this small, and I doubt I'll do it again, but my fledgling anglers at home were SO excited to see them they can't wait to come out with me (I'm taking them to AJ State Park tomorrow). It was really exciting for me too and, like these guys, I'm hooked!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	16030

Spotted Bass.... good fight for their size.

Is it just me, or does the jaw on at least that top fish seem to extend back past the eye? I guess maybe because the mouth is partway open, and the the fish is at a slight angle in the pic, not truly horizontal.

Not sure if I've ever caught a spotted or not. Guess I need to start paying closer attention, especially in rivers.

Congrats !

Keep all the spots within the regs that you want . There is no shame in keeping smaller but legal fish to eat.Fisheries managers encourage keeping the smaller spots for the table.I release all largemouth and smallmouth that I catch and only keep spots because of the competition between exotic and indigenous species for habitat but that is purely my preference based on what is happening in our highland streams and lakes. Thanks for the report.

well that makes sense and explains the position of the jaw and the lack of a huge mouth. I know I hooked a large though - I could see him 20 feet below the canoe and when he got to the surface all i could see was mouth! I thought - "well gosh golly darn, that looks just like one of those fish people like to mount and hang on their wall". Then he breached and threw my lure back in the canoe. No kidding.
    Thanks for the help and encouragement folks!

oh, by way of a fishing report - Andrew Jackson State Park in Lancaster county has, for the second time yielded not one nibble. It seems a bit far to go for bad fishing, so I don't see myself going back.
    I'm scouting Lake Wylie now, and looking for good canoe launches and paddle routes.

fanopoe

WAY TO GO! I second what outsider said...there is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping a legal fish if you or your family are going to consume it. The glory is not always in the trophy but in the satisfaction that you can provide nourishment for yourself and your family from the world around you. You take those "fledglings" and get them hooked as well! Again Congratulations, but be warned bass fishing is cruel and unforgiving addiction.
    NCPIERMAN likes this.