Thread: Falls Lake Bait Fish

Default Falls Lake Bait Fish

I would like to know what kind of bait fish live in Falls lake. I understand that Golden Shiners, and Shad are common, but I don't know what kind of shad. I am trying to find out so that I can rig up my bait to match the local forage. I had a good hit on a Rappalla baby bass top water modified lure, but I would like try to make more to have a bigger variety on hand.

I have only fished Falls once and I used chicken livers but a park ranger told me shiners work well.
    Red X Angler

i ahve seen them in all size's from 7 " to 3" in schools the smaller being far more common but 4" the more average about a mid to large rapala's size about 3 finger's tall 4 " long
    RED X ANGLER

Blog Entries

Most of what I run across at falls is smaller threadfin shad - 1-3" (mostly on the smaller side), usually spit up by fish in the boat, or snagged on crankbaits. Brighter silver than the shiny side of a sheet of aluminum foil. About a perfect match for a size 5 or 7 shad rap. Occasionally see some slimmer 3-4" minnows being chased across the surface. Also tons of small bluegills & sunfish around the shorelines.

Default Neuse River Water Dog

Thanks for that info. Do you all know if the Neuse River Water Dog is in the lake? If they are in the river they should be in the lake, right?

What the heck is a Neuse River Water Dog? If its a bowfin, then yes but in the Wayyyy upper part of the lake.

Waterdog link
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necturus_lewisi

I doubt there are any in the lake. They prefer fast moving shallow water.

thats one wierd looking fish? lizard? combo? LOL!!!!

Default Color for soft baits

Well I was trying to figure out what color and shape I should be using if I used lizard type soft bait. I heard that a brownish gold pumpkin seed works, though I did catch a small bass on a 6in raspberry worm. It was red with a yellow/green tail. The darn thing jerked and put the hook through my knuckle. I was so excited that I didn't let him tire out before pulling him to shore. It was my first bass that I caught!

Oh yeah, I forgot to add...

I would like to also know how do you fish them? Should I crawl, swim and drop or crank it? I think you are supossed to let it sink when it hits the water, but I can figure how to use them. Any help would be great.