Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muskies in NC

Default Muskies in NC

The muskellunge was native to North Carolina, restricted to a few mountain rivers that flow to the Ohio River Basin, but poor water quality had all but eliminated them by the early 1950s. Improvements in water quality by the early 1970s-thought due to the Federal Clean Water Act-prompted restoration efforts for muskie in North Carolina's French Broad, Nolichucky, Cane and New rivers. Tiger muskies, a hybrid of northern pike and muskellunge, have been stocked into in North Carolina's Kerr Scott Reservoir and lakes Rhodhiss, Hiwassee and Fontana. The North Carolina muskie record is a 41-pound, 7.84-ounce fish caught from Lake Adger in 2001 by Richard W. Dodd. The North Carolina tiger muskie record is a 33-pound, 8-ounce fish caught from James Lake in 1988 by Gary Dean Nanney.

The original American range for muskellunge was from north of the St. Lawrence River, through the Great Lakes, into western New York, the Ohio River Basin and the Tennessee River Basin in Minnesota and Wisconsin. The official world all-tackle record currently standing is a 69-pound, 11-ounce fish caught Oct. 20 1949, by Louis Spray from the Chippewa Flowage in Wisconsin according to the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame in Heyward, Wis.

So being from MN I am a Muskie guy. Has anyone ever seen or caught a muskie in NC? I am reading here that they are in Kerr, lake james, Lake Adger or how about the Cane river.

I am interested to see if anyone has seen any. They seem to have some size down in the lake Adger area.

Does anyone even take the time to fish for them?

69 pounds is massive! heres a pic of a 56 pounder caught a week or so on the St. Lawrence

here the pic, it didnt post onthe last post Abay.com - Walters talks about landing the record muskie..
    Bourbonblu likes this.

For some reason that website link wont post on here. But if you go to Abay.com, you can click on the 56 pound muskie.

The French Broad River in western NC is known for them and some guys target them there year round. Other then that, I am not sure, but man are they fun to fight/catch!
    Team Malibu Kayaks - MK Stealth 12

Fish,

Where would be a good place to start on the river? I live in High Point but am more then willing to drive a few hrs to chase skis. Also, what kind of numbers are we talking for population? i can't seem to find any stats on it.

Also when they are referring to the Kerr Scott Reservoir... is that the W Kerr Scoot Reservior that is near wilksboro?
    dbeam likes this.

i aslo noticed that the W kerr has Walleyes in it... anyone fish for them? again I want to try to find a good population before driving.
    dbeam likes this.

I don't really know - I have just seen posts on here about them being there and being fairly common. One guy was talking about he rigged suckers under baloons a year or so ago. Anyway, if you Google French Broad River, NC muskies there is a lot of info. Good luck!
    dbeam likes this.

Team Malibu Kayaks - MK Stealth 12

There are muskies in Lake James, too...mostly in the Catawba River arm of the lake. James is off I40, exit 90 heading toward Asheville. Not quite as far a drive as the French Broad

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
    dbeam likes this.

Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

I've never fished for Musky but there is a stocking schedule from NC Wildlife that includes New, Nolichucky, and French Broad rivers as well as Lake Adger. Happy hunting.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/fishing/st...water_list.pdf
    dbeam likes this.

So many rivers... so little time. Long may you run.

W. Kerr Scott = no muskies or walleye to speak of. By far your best bet is Adger. Also look into the French Broad, New, and N.Toe rivers
    dbeam likes this.

New River has them
    dbeam likes this.

Adger is probably your best bet. The French Broad upstream of Asheville (which is south towards the airport) is good but you will have to coordinate a float trip or run up/float back.... not too sure on the launch facilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast