Thread: Paddle Extension?

Default Paddle Extension?

I have been searching online for longer paddles. In the 270cm range. I was looking on the Mohawk Paddle website and saw that they sale a 12" and 24" paddle extension. Has anyone ever used one of these? Do you think it would work good? Just wondering b/c there only $10 and i am seriously thinking of trying one out for my NuCanoe. Then i could just use my old paddle from my sit in kayak.

Yep, I bought the 12" one and used it twice but it made the paddle a little too long for my situation. One thing I noticed, you could feel the extra play and while it didn't effect functionality, it took a little getting used to. I used it on an OT Disco 158 tandem canoe I setup for solo use with a center seat. I am high off the water (like 12") and the gunnel width is 35" in that boat. I found the 275cm works fine for me without the extension. I doubt you would need it in the NuCanoe but then again I have never paddled one.

Good luck!

I have been looking at some similar things lately as I have a 240 cm Werner paddle I love, but it is a little short for the high position in the Coosa (and also when standing) - a 250 or 260 would be great. I haven't found anything much better than the Mohawk. However, I am not very keen on the extensions being aluminum nor from a different company. I think I am just going to suck it up for a while and eventually get a Werner Skagit CF 250 or 260.
    Team Malibu Kayaks - MK Stealth 12

Hey fishfinderphd, have you looked at the Bending Branches Slice Glass Solo at 260cm?

BB Slice Glass Solo Extra Long Performance Kayak (canoe) Paddle | Bending Branches

I have now - definitely a nice looking paddle and a pretty good price (a little cheaper than the Skagit CF). Decisions, decisions! I think a trip to GOPC is in order!

yeah i have a 240cm that i use in my sit in kayak but was looking into the 1 foot extension to add to it. Hopefully give me the extra lenght i need. I may just keep using my 240 until i can afford to purchase a 275cm, but then again 10 bucks for a temporary fix isn't to bad either..haha not sure what to do.

Some good info everyone. I will be looking into this myself. Don`t really like the idea of the extension but for $10 it seems like it`d be worth trying. I`m leaning toward the Skagit too in 250cm or 260cm. I am using my Coosa in the lower seated position and expect to stay that way. If I was higher I think I`d go 270 cm.
    mattsmitty likes this.

Well, I spent the day paddling against the wind at Jordan catching crappie. The thing is, a 240 cm paddle is doable in the Coosa as long as it is light. My old aluminum (heavy) paddle would have absolutely killed me today. I was in the high seat position the whole time. I think a 260 cm may be where I end up, although I would love to demo that and the 270 cm both before purchasing one.

Is it possible to take your blades off of the old paddle and also the drip rigs and use PVC pipe the gray or white. Just a thought, really not sure if it would work but you could make your own lenght and fit it to your feel. Could this be done!
    Dennis iyankapi matho' ( RunningBear )
    Red X Angler

Probably could be done. Not easily though especially depending on how the blades are attached. Some of the really cheap ones just have 1 rivet holding the blade on. No problem there but a better paddle I don`t think you`d get the blade off without tearing something up. Other thing is for efficiency you don`t want any bend in the shaft and PVC would. I definitely would always have a backup paddle if I was using something I had pieced together. It`s really handy to have a 2 pc paddle and that wouldn`t be easy to rig with a PVC job.
    Dennis Running Bear likes this.