Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to become a guide

Default How to become a guide

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a website or list of requirements on what it takes to become a fishing guide? I am throwing around the idea of starting a service for multiple species. Thanks

-Bill

I'm not sure about fishing guides, but I know there are some classes for hunting guides available in states like Montana and Colorado. I looked into those options while transitioning out of the military.

Honestly though, experience and credibility likely go much farther than a diploma in these cases. Try to get in with an established guide service and go from there.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

You have to go though all of the government hoops of becoming a licensed captain. You have to have X number of days logged on the water, complete the OUPV course, pass physical guidelines, drug test, etc.. Not an easy road. World Wide Marine Training in Oriental can give you some more info, and a lot of the coastal colleges offer the course.
    Spider Crack likes this.

You have to have a USCG approved Captains License when guiding for money in a boat. State requirements are that you buy a $10 or $15 "guide license", available at your local Wong Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked Again View Post
    You have to have a USCG approved Captains License when guiding for money in a boat. State requirements are that you buy a $10 or $15 "guide license", available at your local Wong Mart.
    My license to "guide" is a for hire license you can only get from DMF or WRC(if freshwater). You have to be USCG Licensed in order to get these from the state. My blanket license are $250.00 per boat, but freshwater may be totally different, although I do not see why it would be. A lot to becoming licensed, and you are not going to buy your for hire permits from Wally World. You have to have these for hire permits along with the long list of other requirements in order to take passengers for hire.

Thanks guys,

Bread Man,

Any idea on where I get those government requirements? Also, what is keep on this fishing log on the water?

I know there is a lot to get your Captians License. I have it on my bucket list and want to get it done now rather then later. Thanks again everyone.

My bad. For freshwater, or for hunting, you can buy your guide license at Wong Mart. The WRC license has nothing to do with USCG or DMF requirements in regard to carrying passengers on a vessel for a fee. For example, if I wanted to guide for mountain trout without a boat and charge for my services, all I would need is a $10 guide license from WRC. Same for hunting. For $10 I can be a licensed fishing and/or hunting guide whether I know how to hunt or fish or not. But, I digress.
    Bread Man 1 likes this.

www.wegivethetest.com

besides getting the liscence you will also need to have good people skills and be able to work with all types of people from kind to ignorant from poor to rich,when ever i was intrested in useing a guide the first thing i looked for was personality, not how big the boat was or how clean it was kept and the second thing i looked at was how he or she treated there customers,i dont want a rude guide who treats you like you know nothing and this is just his paycheck.
    i dont even care if he or she can put me on buckets of fish as long as i catch something,and if i dont its all good because they can not make the fish bite
    check out the site above it has all the requirements you will need to have and call them for more info ,breadman is right there are alot of hoops but they are there for a reason,not only to protect the trip but the guide as well
    FishinCary likes this.

red x angler and tarheelflyflinger for life -red drum its not an obssesion but a passion

yeah ia m preety sure if you are a trout guide...no boat or drift boat then you do not need to have a captains license.........same as a smallie guide in no power boat is used.....mack
    MackinNCblog.blogspot.com
    Real Men Paddle Canoes...Yaks are for Sissies, mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158,
    2 OT 119's, 1232 Jon Boat

That's right- $10.00 guide license for freshwater, no experience required (but it sure would help if you could put your sports on some fish!) I had one for a year- guided a couple times, never even charged. Not like it was gonna be my livelihood, for sure.
    Lifetime Member, Anglers Anonymous (the other AA)
    "Wish I was fishin' instead of a wishin'"

Quote Originally Posted by sekod View Post
    That's right- $10.00 guide license for freshwater, no experience required (but it sure would help if you could put your sports on some fish!) I had one for a year- guided a couple times, never even charged. Not like it was gonna be my livelihood, for sure.
    You might be required ( if you guide in a nat. forest ) to have a permit from the Dept of Ag. My friends who are guides had to do some basic first aid and learn cpr for it. They also guide in The GSMNP, so they have to have that permit from the Dept of Interior. They say both are inexpensive, They also carry a liability policy. Don't know if it's required, they have one just to be safe I imagine. I can ask them about the requirements.
    Red X angler

Well MNbassman, if you are going to guide from the bank, it looks like $10.

Quote Originally Posted by sekod View Post
    I don't know Sekod, if you treat your clients like you treat your friends.....like making them paddle upstream for hours on end to get to some fish I kinda see why
    Red X angler

Quote Originally Posted by MNBassman86 View Post
    Thanks guys,

Bread Man,

Any idea on where I get those government requirements? Also, what is keep on this fishing log on the water?
    Seatime. 360 days over x amount of time on the water. You can search the USCG site. I have no idea on the WRC reg's for guiding a powerboat on lakes and rivers, but you still have to be licensed as far as the USCG says. They trump WRC.

A guide cant make the fish bite but they do have control of their actions. I agree with pierman, just always have a good atitude and treat your customers well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast