Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which ice chest keeps ice the longest

Default which ice chest keeps ice the longest

I've been researching trying to find out which ice chest keeps ice the longest. I've never owned one that would keep ice more than 3 days and then it would mainly be cold water. I've looked at the Engel, the Down Under, and a few more that advertise to keep ice 5 days, but I've never owned any of them because they are so expensive. Which cooler to you think keeps ice the longest?

I don't personally have one, but I've heard people rave about the YETI. Seem to be really nice.

http://www.yeticoolers.com
    ecufisherman likes this.

If ya got the money and you really need to keep ice for five days without restocking it(WHY?), then a YETI is the way to go.

I've always heard about the YETI, I can't put that kind of coin in a chest. Coleman and others make a 5 day chest, that's optimum conditions, keeping the lid closed type stuff.
    Red X Angler
    Lifetime Member B.A.S.S.

The Coleman Xtream coolers do a very good job. I found a few comparisons on the web and for the $$ the Coleman is the best buy.

I bought a 50qt from Wally World for $35 ..... took it out to Bear Island last October. It got into the high 70s, low 80s every day for 5 days and there was no shade to protect the cooler. Nights were low 50s - high 40s. For ice we used 2 liter bottles of water frozen solid & started with the cooler inside in the AC for a day. Everything we put in had been frozen or refrigerated, all the drinking water was frozen. We carried a smaller cooler for day use - each morning while it was still cool we moved everything we needed for that day(including frozen drinking water) into the small cooler. This way we only opened the Coleman once per day.
    At the end of the 5th day we poured all of the water from the 2 liters to reduce weight for carrying. There were still small chunks of ice in the bottles and the remaining drinking water was very cold.

With the big buck coolers you will absolutely get a tougher cooler that will last 3-4 times as long and take a heck of a beating, but if all you need is something that holds the cold for a long time the Coleman 6 day will do the same job or better.
    Igloo makes an extended use cooler also, but the reviews aren't nearly as good.
    FishinCary, and Rod Wielder like this.

Red X Angler
    "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." Luke 6:31

I have an Igloo 150 qt cooler that was given to me by a friend its a 7 day ice retention cooler and it will do that if you can keep it out of the sun if not its 4-5 days. I only use it when I camp and I usualy only camp 2-3 days at a time so its perfect for me. I think new their 90$. Brad

ditto the top quality versions of igloo and coleman. I also like that you can buy repair parts, hinges etc in most outdoor shops. I occasionally score a cheap/free igloo or coleman at a yardsale and fix it for less than $10-20.
    * With "Self regulation", comes "De-regulation". Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws * *PROUD RED X ANGLER*

YETI only way to go for extreme weather and long lasting ice IF you can afford one
    red x angler and tarheelflyflinger for life -red drum its not an obssesion but a passion

The Xtreme Colemans are great for the money. Keep the plug open so water will drain off, keeps ice longer.

Thanks to everyone for the reply. I'm leaning towards the Yeti, mainly because they can be purchased locally. My place on Tucker Creek is a mile back in the woods thru Croatan National forest. If I get up on the third morning I'm there and want to go fishing, I want to go fishing, not drive around all over the place looking for a store open to buy ice.

Red X Angler
    "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." Luke 6:31

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freezer.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	20486+Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gen.gif 
Views:	37 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	20488+Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank.gif 
Views:	34 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	20489+Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hand truck.gif 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	20487
    FishinCary likes this.

Red X Angler

I have the 120 qt coleman green cooler. It was 50 bucks at walmart and so far I have been happy with it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Xt...ndingMethod=rr
    "What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator
    Follow NCFishingReport on Twitter!

Wow, I didn't even know $300+ coolers existed.

I wonder if something like a big thick block of frozen metal (aluminum or copper) would provide more cooling power than block ice? Not sure if the physics would work out - I suppose there's a good chance the phase change from solid ice to liquid water would make the ice more effective...

Other options would be dry ice, or maybe even active cooling - it looks like propane-powered coolers do exist, but I have no idea of the weight, fuel consumption, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by papadave View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freezer.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	20486+Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gen.gif 
Views:	37 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	20488+Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tank.gif 
Views:	34 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	20489+Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hand truck.gif 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	20487
    Not as crazy as it might seem at first - they make propane coolers/refrigerators:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator5.htm
    NCPIERMAN likes this.

I know water takes something like 80 calories per ounce at the liquid to solid state. The latent heat of fusion, does it release this same energy when it changes back? If so then there might be something to Jlr's idea.
    Search "latent heat" on wikipedia. Basicly when water changes from liquid to solid it releases a certain amount of heat into the air. At least thats what i think based on what it says. Too much info for me to understand but mabye someone who is good with science can say if the change does release energy or not.
    jlr likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast