Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: jugging for cats

Default jugging for cats

New to using jugs and was wondering how do you determine the length of line to use. Will be fishing badin mostly.

Thank's Donald

I always ran about 4 feet and tried to keep the jugs 8 feet of water or less

Darrell
    Red X Angler

just made some new jugs....got rid of my tide orandge jugs and made some noodle jugs with pvc in the middle.....also am making some with 20 oz clear bottle that u can put glow sticks in......in the past my jugs have always had les than 10 ft of line , some at 5 and a few at 10......jordan in the hot summer there is nothing deeper than 15.......i do know some guys who like only 2 ft on theirs and alot of guys on kerr go with 20' ....depends alot on where u are fishing....i like short lines on mine as most are 5 ft....mack

added...never fished badin except right below tuckertown but reckon u may to have 10-15 ft on jugs at badin unless fishing shallow cove......someone with more badin exp hopefully will chime in....
    Rod Wielder likes this.

MackinNCblog.blogspot.com
    Real Men Paddle Canoes...Yaks are for Sissies, mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158,
    2 OT 119's, 1232 Jon Boat

depends on the species, time of year and where you will be.... 10 is always a good choice because you can go as deep as you want and as shallow.... always go longer than u think u need

Most of the ones I have picked up have 2-6 ft. For the record I only pick them up if there is a fish on it and it is unatteneded with no other jugs in sight.
    bentrod likes this.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by mack in n.c. View Post
    just made some new jugs....got rid of my tide orandge jugs and made some noodle jugs with pvc in the middle.....
    Made some noodle jugs like that a few years ago and put a small amount of lead bird shot in the PVC before capping it off. Idea being that the shot would move to one end when a fish hit and they would stand vertical acting as a strike indicator. Worked pretty well unless the water was rough, then they gave us false readings.

Thank's guy's I was thinking 10 ft. so thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Bempster View Post
    Made some noodle jugs like that a few years ago and put a small amount of lead bird shot in the PVC before capping it off. Idea being that the shot would move to one end when a fish hit and they would stand vertical acting as a strike indicator. Worked pretty well unless the water was rough, then they gave us false readings.
    This is exactly what I do as well. I solved te rough water problem by making the PVC a bit longer and the noodle a bit shorter on the top end. I have been in some rough chop and they work great after that modification.

I fish Tillery for cats most of the time and fish at about 15-20 for the most part. The current there tends to push a short line too far off the fish. Maybe one of these days, I can hook up with someone that goes that direction and make a night of cat'in. I use my yak or canoe to get around there...
    2012 Jackson Cuda - Black Widow

got 1/2in x 3in bolt in them....set horizontal with bolt towards the noodle end then when fish hits bolt slides toward bottom amd make the "jug" stand better....some guy also use rebar in them.....mack
    Rod Wielder likes this.

MackinNCblog.blogspot.com
    Real Men Paddle Canoes...Yaks are for Sissies, mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158,
    2 OT 119's, 1232 Jon Boat

This months NC Sportsman has a great article with diagrams on how to make and use a really well designed and simple noodle jug. It basically has the pvc like mentioned above but you run a line through the pvc with an egg weight on it so that when a fish tugs it puts the noodle up vertically, alerting you of a strike.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He’s a grown man. Fishing’s not that hard." - Ron Swanson

It's 2 am just came in from Jordan was going to take my new jugs for a test drive but it was a little too windy and my wife was a lot too sleepy. I have allways used about 3-4 feet of line on mine but these new ones all are around 15. I have always used 2 litre bottles with light sticks inside until this time.

i did some juggin last summer in a lake close to my parents house. i used a 2 liter coke bottle with about 15 of 12lb test on it that i tied around the neck. i just would unwind how ever long i wanted. i caught a couple of really good sized crappie on it. i used night crawlers as bait tho.

silveradoboy
    Red X Angler

That's where I got the idea from . (N.C. Sportsman) Have fished almost all my life and have never jugged for catfish, so wanted to try. Thank's for all your responses.

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by silveradoboy View Post
    i did some juggin last summer in a lake close to my parents house. i used a 2 liter coke bottle with about 15 of 12lb test on it that i tied around the neck. i just would unwind how ever long i wanted. i caught a couple of really good sized crappie on it. i used night crawlers as bait tho.

silveradoboy
    As a heads up, in NC you are not allowed to put any live bait, including worms, on jugs. Why? Because you might catch crappie or bass, and they are classified as gamefish. Catfish or carp are not.

Cut bait, stink bait, bread, hot dogs, etc are all fine for use. I put out some stale bagel with vanilla on it one time, and we caught a 10 lb carp on the jug... That was fun watching my kids try to pull that into the boat... I almost bet on the carp pulling both of them into the water.

To the original poster... Try different things, and see what works where you fish. My wife and kids love to jug fish, and they have about 20 jugs set up and ready to use. Some have 5' of line, others 20', some have weights to hold the bait down, others small floats near the bottom. All are numbered, and my wife actually keeps a chart with what size and type of catfish bit on which jug. She'll put out more jugs like the sucessful jug, and then go on.

One heads up... Jug fishing is frowned upon by many other boaters and "real" fishermen, and some of them regularly take your jug. I remember one Saturday morning, we put a half dozen jugs into an empty cove up a creek off lake Norman, went off to do some "real" fishing, then came back in about 40 minutes to find 2 boats anchored in the cove, and no jugs in sight. We asked the boaters if they had seen them, and the one told us they destroyed them becuase they were interfering with where they wanted to swim and fish.

I had a pretty lively discussion with these folk, and some choice curses were traded. If I were on dry land, I'm fairly sure the discussion would have turned physical and unpleasant.
    bentrod likes this.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    As a heads up, in NC you are not allowed to put any live bait, including worms, on jugs. Why? Because you might catch crappie or bass, and they are classified as gamefish. Catfish or carp are not.

Cut bait, stink bait, bread, hot dogs, etc are all fine for use. I put out some stale bagel with vanilla on it one time, and we caught a 10 lb carp on the jug... That was fun watching my kids try to pull that into the boat... I almost bet on the carp pulling both of them into the water.
    thanks man i didnt know that. i should have read about it more before i did it.

silveradoboy
    Red X Angler

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast