NC Angler Forums banner

report from the Pungo river

15K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  BMcClenney 
#1 ·
Meet a buddy at 5:00am Sat. morning and headed to a boat ramp on the Pungo river. Near Belhaven, NC if you are not fimiliar with the Pungo river. In search of speckled trout, flounder, puppy drum and no rain. Found all four but not much size. Caught 6 trout (1 keeper), 5 puppy drum (no keepers), 2 flounders (1 keeper) and 2 striped bass (no keepers). All were caught on Berkley 2 inch white and nuclear chicken(red and blue) Gulp shrimp. Best part of day was not catching any rain. Turned out to be a fairly calm morning with only cloudy skies. H2O Fowl 4

#4 ·
skooteri - We put in at Pamlico Beach. It is a little west of Ponzer, just this side of Belhaven. Almost at the mouth of the Pungo River. Our fishing spots from there were in Jordan Creek and Slade Creek. Would definetly need a boat to get there from Pamlico Beach. The marina we put in at is called Buddy's Marina. It is located in a creek (not sure what the name of it is) that should hold fish aswell. We just always head to our favorite spots and don't ever think about fishing right under our noses. You might want to think about fishing in Bath creek (located in Bath, NC) if you want to fish out of the kayak. Good fish have been caught out of the creek lately and it would be a easy paddle. I hope I have helped and if I can be of any more help please let me now. I am not real sure when the next time I will be fishing (lots of family duties coming up) but I will post as soon as I go again. H2O Fowl 4

#5 ·
Now your gettin in my neck of the woods. I need all the info I can get! Thanks!

#7 ·
Well KW I'm so new to the area and to having a boat, I havent developed an area or a favorite as of yet. I like to catch whats biting. Last fall I caught my first puppies and love the fight but only a couple were keepers. I have until now been primarily a freshwater fisherman so I am learning as I go. Old boat (15ft trihull Chaparral), old equipment and a new love for fishing.... I grew up fishing the Santee/Cooper for cats/crappie/stripers in SC but spent the last many years plunking around the Triangle area from shore but I now live here in this not so quiet anymore river town... I'll share what I know as I find it!!! How about you?

#8 ·
I have lived around this area about 20 years and love to fish for trout, drum, flounder and new love rock. I like to fish the pamlico river but love to fish the pamlico sound. I have developed a love for saltwater fishing over the past 8-10 years but did alot of white perch fishing on the Chowan river growing up. I try to fish ever chance I get during the the summer, spring and early fall but love to duck hunt in the late fall and winter. Good luck with your fishing and if I can be of any help let me know. There are to many fish in the water not to help out a fellow fishermen. H2O Fowl 4

#9 ·
I heard that KW! You can bet you'll hear from me... Right now I have to replace a waterpump impeller and decarbon the cylinders on this old Evinrude 70 and I'll be ready to go!

#10 ·
KW you ever go to the bridges at Manns Harbor? I was thinking about going there but I dont know anything about it as far as depth and area ramps etc? Or what bites when..
Also how is the Pungo for navigation? Everything pretty safe or do I have to be on the lookout for alot of shallow spots and debris?

#11 ·
Never fished the bridges at Mann's Harbor. Sorry about that. I know they catch rock trolling the bridge but not real sure when the best time is to go. Maybe put up a new thread on Mann's Harbor. I bet there is some knowledge floating around about that area. It is amazing to read all the information people are willing to provide. Finding this site has been great. The Pungo is pretty safe for dept. When entering a creek just stay in the middle and you should be fine. Hope this helps and good fishing! H2O Fowl 4

#12 ·
Caught a few in Jordan and Slade creeks two weeks ago which are only up and across the pungo from CB's marina. I feel strongly that you could catch some around CB's. Have heard they have been catching some around the break water in Belhaven and in Fishing creek which is almost straight across from CB's. Not much size to speak off but a few keepers. Hope this helps and give a report if you give it a try this weekend. I have to cook a pig for a wedding party so I will be stuck on land Saturday. Good luck! H2O Fowl 4

#13 ·
Not cooking that Pig in Aurora by any chance are you? I have to attend a wedding party Saturday as well..

Where is CB's?

#14 ·
I'll be cooking the pig at the inlaw's house in Washington down River Road. Sorry about that. That would have been pretty cool if it were the same wedding party. CB's is CB marina which is right outside of Belhaven. I am not real sure what road it is exactly on but if go into Belhaven and ask at the gas station by the bridge they will be able to tell you how to get there. Only about 5-10 minutes from the store to CB marina. Hope this helps. H2O Fowl 4

#15 ·
Thanks KW CB's Sounds like a place I need to check out. Lots of weddings this time of year. Lately it seems like when I get time, and my back feels up to going fishing, the weather lets me down. Oh well, it is early!

#17 ·
About the Mann's Harbor question. I have been going there since I was 6 fishing for croaker and in december for rock. We always put in at the old bridge at the small and now unkept ramp on the mainland side of the bridge. The water right in the pool is deep, but going out be very careful as the sand shoals are very shallow. Also be careful on the ramp as it ends very abruptly into a deep hole. I bent my trailer to my C-hawk this January because and idiot friend backed up too far and couldnt hear my screaming for him to stop. The open water under the old bridge stays pretty flat bottomed and about 20-25' most the the way accross. Catch it on an incoming tide and you can usually catch the heck out of something there. Good luck and let me know how you do if you go out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.