Thread: Catfishing near Winston Salem

Default Catfishing near Winston Salem

Hey guys,

I am just starting to get into catfishing from shore and needs some spots to try. I am taking the GF so any place that has some action would be nice. I don't want her to get bored fast.

We hit Thom-A-Lex last night for about 2 hours and caught to very small cats.

We are willing to drive about 30 mins. Thanks

-Bill

Head up to the Rockford area in Surry County. There are several places there along the Yadkin River to fish from the bank. You should have no trouble catching good eating size catfish and there are some really big ones in there to. Good luck.
    bwguffey likes this.

If river isn't high and you like to wade check out Yadkin Islands state park on the East Bend side. Drive to the end of road ant canoe launch and walk down trail.

I love this place just because it is a beautiful, quiet place that seems hours from home but is 30 minutes.

Kernersville Lake rents boats for 3 bucks for 3 hours.

Neither one of these is going to consistently produce catfish significantly larger or more awesome than what you were getting at Thomalex, though.
    bwguffey likes this.

Hey Srohde,

I can't find any info on where that state park is. Do you know any good links?

link to Kernersville lake Park http://www.co.forsyth.nc.us/PARKS/Kernersvillelake/

I fish there quite a bit, It is very convenient and very clean, I take my family there often

I have seen some 5 - 8 lb cats caught there this summer and a few close to 10 lbs. Biggest cat for me so far was about 3 lbs.

I have been chasing a big Bass around there all summer, keeps jumping all around me but i just can not hook em.
    Central North Carolina Bass Anglers Trail - facebook Cncba Trail & twitter @cncba_trail

Thanks Doc,

I took a look at the site and I don't see any charge for fishing from shore. Is that correct?

Yes sir, free to fish from bank ..... very inexpensive to rent the john boats ....$3 for 3 hours, $6 for 6 hours. 6 hours is about all I can take paddling around that place....LOL. They do not have trolling motors to rent but If you have a trolling motor and battery, you can hook it up to the rental boats.
    Central North Carolina Bass Anglers Trail - facebook Cncba Trail & twitter @cncba_trail

Sweet, Thanks Doc.

Let me know what days you go and I may have to say hello. I might try to go tomorrow or Friday.

salem lake............has channels ,whites and flatheads.............
    Real Men Paddle Canoes...Yaks are for Sissies, mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158,
    2 OT 119's, 1232 Jon Boat

gonna be a while before Salem Lake is ready .. .Still drained for the Dam work.....

Cool Beans BassMan ...... I plan to get out there early in the morning and chase that dang Bass around again for a few hours in a rental boat. I always got my Hokies (Virginia Tech) hat on ..... give me a shout if ya make it out there.

The south River Section (Yadkin County) is 20 miles from the mountain section of the park. Take NC 67(Reynolda Road) North to the town of East Bend. From Main Street follow the signs for the Yadkin River Trail, turning right on Fairground Road. Turn right on Shady Grove Church Road, turn right on Shoals Road, and follow it to the park.

Thanks Srohde

No problem, good luck

Thanks for the directions srohde .... I took the family out there this morning for a few hours to check it out. We fished for a little while, didn't land anything but can definitely see potential. We will give it another try soon for sure.