NC Angler Forums banner

2012 Carolina Yakfish Schedule (1/2/2012)

6K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  turtlestew 
#1 ·
Category: Kayak Tournaments

Sponsoring Organization or Charity: Heroes on the Water

Contact Name/Phone: Toba or Turtlestew

Website link for more information: http://carolinayakfish.com/

Bob has posted the 2012 Carolina Yakfish schedule on our website. You will see there are two TBAs listed. We are planning on Randleman for the May tournament and Michie for the September tournament but need to talk with lake officials before finalizing. Shouldn't be any issues though. We are also very pleased and thankful to announce that Native Watercraft has agreed to donate a kayak for our 2012 Angler of the Year prize!

#4 ·
Are the launch locations known for the announced locations yet? Fort fisher is obvious of course, just wondering for the others.
Ferggiej-see below

1) Shearon Harris-undecided, we would like to do it at the Holleman ramp but space may be limited. Will announce soon.
2) Randleman-We will announce this later. I believe Bob said there is an electric only portion though and that's where we'd like to have it if allowed.
3) Fort Fisher-yep the ramp
4) Michie-ramp beside the boat house
5) Jordan-Ebenezer (secondary ramps without the docks in the back of the parking lot)

Also, as the events get closer, we will post maps of the launch areas on here and on our website.

#13 ·
In an effort to help Bob and Joey this year...

Designed some new Identifiers for the 2012 Carolina Yakfish Series.

They will be 2 sided and a smaller (2 3/8” x 3 ½”) size than previous years.
  • Front will have the Body of Water, Date, ID number and Yakfish Logo.
  • Back will have a area to write in your time and/or size of catch. (optional)
The new size allows for the ID’s to fit into various fishing license holders. Might be a good idea to purchase a lanyard, to attach the holder. This is optional ...just wanted to give notice to those who would like to be more organized come tourney time.

Also...I am running the Carolina Yakfish Facebook page, if you haven’t already, stop by and “friend us” and then feel free to share (post/tag) any/all fishing adventures. Will be keeping it updated with tourney picts, info and such.

Yes...Bob will still be manning the website.

Below are some ID samples:

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx140/joeyb09/CY_ID_2012v2.jpg
http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx140/joeyb09/SampleFront.jpg
http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx140/joeyb09/SampleBack.jpg

Thanks for looking!

#17 ·
Designed some new Identifiers for the 2012 Carolina Yakfish Series.

Thanks for looking!
Not sure how I feel about having Bob and Joey along in the boat with me...

Bob behind those dark glasses... Joey squinting at me.
Are they spying?
Are they refereeing?
I don't know, but I hope it doesn't affect my focus. :)

#14 ·
OK after looking over this I think I'm going to go for it. Only worry is I am on call for work every 5 or 6 weeks and hope that doesn't get in the way. I also will have to see how my health goes but I hope to be much better by the start of this. I'm sitting at home right now on short term disability with a broken back. They still aren't sure what going on but I'm going to doctors and having tests done about twice a week. I hope it's under control soon so I can get back on the water.

#16 ·
I like the ID cards!
I have seen several tournaments use the wrist bands like those given at concerts etc. This could also be an idea, but I could see where having a wrist band could be problematic while photoing the fish, the waterproofing of the glue, and fisherman ID.

#20 ·
We've received permission at the final two lakes so here is the schedule:

April 14 – Shearon Harris
May 12 – Randleman Reservoir
June 30 – Fort Fisher
September 15 – Lake Michie
October 20 – Jordan Lake

Hope everyone likes this year's choices. We'll have another post soon on a rule change or two and exact launch locations.

#21 ·
I'm hoping to make 3, maybe 4 of the events. Randleman might be a little far from the coast. The last 2 events are right in the middle of hurricane season as well so I'll have to call those tenative. If there's hurricane swells coming in, I'm going to have to trade my paddle for surf wax. Looking forward to April 14th!

#22 ·
We have finalized the rules for the 2012 season. Changes from last year can be seen in green on the website here:

http://carolinayakfish.com/rules-4/

The biggest change is that we are doing away with the 1/2 inch rule due to popular demand. If we can tell that 2 fish of the same length are obviously different fish, we will count both. All fish that place will be put on our website so everyone can view them. If any problems arise, we reserve the right to reinstate the 1/2 inch rule at any time.

One thing we would like to ask participants is to make sure the numbers on your measuring devices stand out and are easy to read. It can be difficult to near impossible to read some of the measuring devices out there, so take a few test photos and make sure they stand out. If we can't read them, we may have to disqualify the fish. Hawg troughs are the best and we encourage the use of those. Contrast is the best way to make numbers stand out. For example, if you have a white board and white numbers, trace over the numbers and lines with a black sharpie.

One other thing, we announced a little while ago that Native agreed to donate a kayak for our Angler of the Year prize. Bob and I are excited about that but have decided to take ourselves out of the running for that prize in case one of us gets lucky and wins AOY. And just like last year, the 20% of entrace fees that we deduct for the AOY prize, will instead go to HOW since we already have a great AOY prize. We also have implemented a tie-breaker scenario for AOY which can be seen in the rules.
This remains a totally non-for-profit series, 100% of the proceeds are either paid out as prizes or donated to charity and we intend to keep it that way.

Lastly, someone asked about launch locations. The first one at Shearon Harris will be at the Crosspoint Rd launch. That is the ramp on the southern end of the lake near the dam. The Randleman launch will be Southwest Park. And the one at Jordan will be at Ebeneezer. The other two only have one launch area, so they are self explanatory. Maps of the launches can be seen here:

http://carolinayakfish.com/2010-schedule/

Bob will be opening the registration shortly and will make a post announcing that. Any questions, send Bob (Toba) or I a PM.

#25 ·
Fireyakker-Usually we aim for 6am arrival and 7am launch. That gives everyone an hour to unload and be ready to fish, go over rules, hand out identifiers, tell 3-4 lies, etc. We will make the times official at each event and post them on our website as the events draw near.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.