NC Angler Forums banner

Wiggins Mill and Mott Lake

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  bcoburn90 
#1 ·
I'm trying to find out about a couple of bigger bodies of water within 50 miles or so from where I live. One of the two that I am interested in is Motts Lake in Hoke County, and the other is Wiggins Mill which is close to Wilson, NC.

Is anybody familiar with these lakes?? and if so..... how is the Kayak fishing in them as far as big Bass are concerned?? Ramp fees?? Launch access?? etc.

Thanks for all help.

#4 ·
I have been fishing Wiggins the past couple weeks and its a pretty sweet body of water. Ramp fee is $2. Very shallow lake most spots run about 3 to 5 ft. and the deepest is at the boat launch in the channel at about 16 ft. It has a ton of stomps and trees and when I say a TON I mean a TON!!!! So I think it's perfect for us kayak fisherman not having to worry about bumping into stuff. Give it a shot you won't regret it!

#5 ·
Mott lake is a great little lake to fish from a Kayak . There are several places to launch from and no ramp fees. Yes you do have to get a Ft Bragg Fishing Permit but that is very easy and only costs $15 . Let me know if you want to get one and we could meet out side of post ,and I could give you a ride to the Wild Life Office on post , to avoid the hassle of being searched. Several of us in the FAAN fish there quite often. There are other good lake on Ft Bragg also that hold good Bass.
I see you fish Black water rivers..have you fished the Black River or the Lumber . I have been wanting to get on them but just haven't yet. Better to go with some one who has been before, at least the first time.

Reactions: dbeam
#6 ·
Hey Deepblu,

Yes .....I would like very much to be able to get a pass to fish on the reservation. And thank you very much for your offer to get me on post, I would appreciate the help. How long of a period of time does a pass last?? Is it for a day, or week, or month etc?? I used to play the NCO clubs around there back in the 70's and 80's but that was a long time ago, and I doubt very seriously if I could find my way back in there again.

Yes I do fish Black River at times but I haven't been in the water since this past October. I went in there around the middle of that month and had a good time, but when I came out at the landing I had forgotten to take my Yak Cart with me, and I had to pull the boat up a very steep hill to load up. I messed up my back worse than it already was, and have been limited to my recliner and the bed till now.

I thought that I was going to have to have surgery, but the Doctors told me to take it extremely easy for the rest of the Winter and I'd probably be ok by Spring....... So...... now I'm "indoor house tied" and trying to get back to where I was 4 months ago.

The Black and The Lumber are both beautiful rivers. I haven't been on The Lumber, but I do fish The Black when I can. I have wanted to go down farther around Currie, NC and check that part out but haven't yet. The river is bigger down there and less chance of having to drag over logs etc. ....... (another back killer).......The fishing is always better in less accessable areas with log drags, but the pulling and straining in these areas are a thing of the past for me now....... Drs. orders.......

I'll send you a pm later this weekend and maybe we can schedule a day and time and place to meet in the next few days to get a pass. I appreciate the help very much, and hopefully we can float a stretch of the Black this year.

Kent

#7 ·
Kent the post fishing permit is for a year from the date you buy it.

Sounds great , Ill be at Gander Mountain tomorrow manning the FAAN Booth they are having a Gear up For Fishing program several organizations will be there. (Not plugging the store just the FAAN) If your in town stop by and say hello can meet some of the FAAN Members.

PM me and we will set up a time and Date.

Eddie

#8 ·
Sounds good Eddie,

I'm supposed to be in Dunn, N.C. tomorrow to pick up Schnauzer #2 .. lol.. (fishin' buddies).... How long will ya'll be at GM ????.......If time permits, we'll drop by and say hello. Otherwise I will be in touch real soon, and thank you again. KE

#11 ·
I fished Wiggins a couple times. They have jon boats you can rent that comes with a trolling motor and a battery for $25. I rather use a kayak though. Like a guy said, its pretty shallow. I have heard a guy pulled a 9 pounder out of there. The last time I went my buddy caught a huge blue cat. Have caught many 2-3 pounders out of there and witnessed a 5 pounder on a CB. All in the main channel and one in the back creeks. Theres a stump out in the middle after you launch and cruise to the right. Have caught many fish close to that one stump. Hope this helps, let me know how you do. I plan on going fish there alot this summer. Good Luck brother.

#12 ·
It sure looks to be a heck of a nice Mill, with plenty of structure. I fished in another big Mill this past Summer that reminds me of Wiggins,..... that one was loaded up with submerged stumps and logs too ....... been there since the 1860's. I hung a big one late in the afternoon just before dark and got my line broke fishing with a Jelly Worm around some Cypress knees that day.

Gonna check it out just as soon as I am mobile again............... Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.