NC Angler Forums banner

inshore fishing for newbies

Inshore 
1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Greenford 
#1 ·
Looks like im finally gonna get a boat. We have a house at oakisland we visit often. I wanna fish the back waters around the island. Do some trolling and cast to the docks. Will this be productive. What would u suggest. I thought about entering the lockwood folly area. Basicly ive got a small boat with a trolling motor on it. Figured i would carolina rig some mullet and drag them around

#4 ·
We have a place at Oak Island we go to often and take the kayaks all over the back waters. We also like to take the ferry over to Fort Fisher and do the same there. I'm not a "boat" fan but love the ease and convenience of the kayaks. Both places have some good fishing for Spec's , Drum and Flounder From small boats, kayaks and canoes. With a boat you could run all of the back side of OKI up to Southport and over Fort Fisher and cover some really productive grounds around there.

PS Forgot to mention becareful of those areas at low tide. Good maps , GPS and experianced friends can save you there. A lot of the creeks can be high and dry at low tide.

#5 ·
Greenford where do you put in at. Also any particular way u fish. Heck man ill take all the advice i can get. I was thinking about trolling some live bait and casting gulp shrimp or live. what should i be looking for. Ill prob start at lockwood folly and fish back to the camper.

#6 ·
draggsxr I put in at Blue Water Marina or down on the end past it at Kings Lynn. At Fort Fisher down past the Ferry is Federal Pt with a ramp and parking. I fish top water plugs, spinners coming out of the grass and jigs with gulp shrimp. All these will work well for Drum and Trout. I've caught them off of rattle traps along the docks and grass too. I like to very up different lures because you never know what they want one day over another. I will say I almost never use live shrimp and it hasn't seem to hurt me any but have friends who fish live about 80% time. I like to cover a good bit of area as I fish. If nothing is hitting in one spot I just keep moving. I've had days where I can get a bite then all the sudden get along a channel or grass bed and just kill them. We need to meet one day down there and give it a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.