Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 02-19-12 LKN Spots, Stripes, Blues & Slabs

Default 02-19-12 LKN Spots, Stripes, Blues & Slabs

Well, I took everything Mother Nature could throw at me this morning against my wife's and Stu's advice. It was 52 degrees and overcast when I launched, and by 11:00AM it was 41 degrees and blowing rain sideways across the channel. Not optimal fishing weather, but when you get a free day to fish, you fish. I managed a few spots just after launching and quickly landed a healthy striper soon after. Following that sleigh ride, I hooked into the blue cat which took me on another sleigh ride! Not sure how much it weighed, but the pics don't do him justice. Managed a few other beautiful spots and a NICE slab to round out the Lake Norman Slam. All fish were taken over 40'+ water on curly tailed grubs on darter heads.

Didn't see another boat on the entire lake today...I guess braving the elements has its advantages.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3300062.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	37337 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3300063.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	37338 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3300065.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	37339 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3300067.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	37340 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3300070.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	37341

Hobie Mirage Revolution 13

+10 street cred
    ecufisherman, and TacoBo like this.

looks like you have braid on the reel i see in the one pic. how deep do you guys on the yaks troll (i assume to wherever the fish are bitin')... so, don't you need to use some lead core line or something to keep lures down? please give me some insight...
    TacoBo likes this.

Nice......I don't know how it was where you fished but @ 2 in McGuire..the wind was blowing some nice waves 2-3ft. coming in from the gate.Cool to see your trip was worth it.
    TacoBo likes this.

charlotte area dubber-affiliated with the non affiliated

good report......Best day to fish is on the day you can fish!!!!
    TacoBo likes this.

Jackson Cuda 12 --------Black widow
    Native Manta ray 12 --------- Camo

Quote Originally Posted by jonrigger View Post
    looks like you have braid on the reel i see in the one pic. how deep do you guys on the yaks troll (i assume to wherever the fish are bitin')... so, don't you need to use some lead core line or something to keep lures down? please give me some insight...
    I don't normally troll, but that is indeed braided line on my reel. I use it to make vertical presentations over deep water. It's more sensitive than mono and it doesn't float. That way you can get your line down more quickly without added weight to inhibit the lure's performance. I'll fish anywhere from 40' to 80'+ this time of year depending on where the fish are holding and what I'm targeting.

Quote Originally Posted by mrurbina View Post
    Nice......I don't know how it was where you fished but @ 2 in McGuire..the wind was blowing some nice waves 2-3ft. coming in from the gate.Cool to see your trip was worth it.
    Yeah, that canal can be quite the wind tunnel at times!

Nice job Bo.... way to make me feel guilty about staying home today. LOL
    TacoBo likes this.

I kind of figured it was either stay home and be disgusted with the weather, or suit up and go fishing and be disgusted with the weather. At least I caught some fish for my trouble. Would have stayed out longer, but I had water-logged two pairs of gore-tex gloves at that point and the wind was just blowing too hard to stay on my target. There was a guy at the marina walking down the pier to his sailboat just shaking his head at me in disbelief when I passed by on my way back to the launch. Somewhere he's posting on a sailboat blog about some idiot he saw fishing in a kayak today.
    fishjunky, misterslowride, and wingsdlc like this.

Blog Entries

You inspired me to bundle up in raingear and run over to Durant Nature Park at dusk to see if I could catch a foul-weather fish. No luck, but I did entertain the park attendant who was closing up behind me.
    TacoBo likes this.

Man, that makes you even more hardcore than me! I think the temps dropped quite a bit by dusk from where they were this morning. Hope that new FF is working out for you, Jeff.

Nice work Bo. Battle won by man today(yesterday).
    TacoBo likes this.

TacoBo, Good job, nice pics.
    TacoBo likes this.

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. Irish Blessing

Aargh! Wish is decided to go. Didn't look like but about a hour or so until rain on the radar when the alarm went off so I rolled back over.
    I didn't say you shouldn't go- just that I didn't think I was. Hope we get a break next weekend. I'm really getting tired of good weather during the week only to turn crappy for the wknd.
    TacoBo likes this.

"Them Hardcore boys"

Quote Originally Posted by stukayakfish View Post
    Aargh! Wish is decided to go. Didn't look like but about a hour or so until rain on the radar when the alarm went off so I rolled back over.
    I didn't say you shouldn't go- just that I didn't think I was. Hope we get a break next weekend. I'm really getting tired of good weather during the week only to turn crappy for the wknd.
    Yeah, I hooked into that striper about 10 minutes after launch...started to call you, but I figured you were asleep. Like you said, hopefully next weekend we'll get a break on the weather...my waders and Immersion Reasearch splash gear are getting a real workout these days!

I have always been told by my buddies who fish Norman that is at its best when the weather is at its worst.
    TacoBo likes this.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast