NC Angler Forums banner

4th Annual 2012 New River Smallmouth Trip Planning Thread

127K views 1K replies 54 participants last post by  JohnYaksJax 
#1 ·
With all the Meet and Greets being planned on NCAngler I thought I'd better get this one started so participants can mark their calendar!

It is once again time to plan our annual New River Smallie Trip! I think it's our 4th one but I'm old and tend to forget. What I do know is that we have a blast every time and the growing number of participants each year is indicative of that.

For those that have never been here are some of the details. And for those who go every year, we've made a few changes this year that I think you will like.

The South Fork of the New River in Ashe County is a relatively gentle flowing river with spectacular scenery and gazillions of fiesty smallies. It is listed as a National Scenic and Historic River and is believed to be the second oldest river in the world, behind the Nile in Egypt. It is one of the few rivers that flows South to North and that's because the river was there before the mountains were! The fish in the South Fork tend to run smaller than in the main river (above where the North and South Forks meet) but are a blast on ultralight tackle and flyrods. Last years largest fish was a 15 incher caught by Raymond 'Curt Gowdy' Wells. River fish are aggressive, opportunistic feeders and will strike a large variety of offerings. About the only thing that slows the fishing down is muddy water which is one reason we hold this event mid summer as water levels tend to be lower and clearer during this season. That time of year in the mountains is a great break from the heat of summer that we'll have in the lowlands as well.

A gently moooooving section.......yes those are cows...:eek:

We choose the South Fork versus the main river for safety reasons. We want canoe/kayers of all ability to be able to participate and the South Fork has just enough rapids to make it exciting without it being exceedingly dangerous. Again, the summer low river flow adds to the safety factor. Nevertheless you have to respect the awesome power of moving water and you will get lots of practice manuevering your craft around exposed and slightly submerged boulders and picking your lines through the small rapids and shallow areas. We've never had anyone hurt on these floats and want to keep it that way.

PapaDave and Grandson maneuvering some white water last year:

Darrell (dbeam) running the same rapid in his yak.

We base out of the New River State Park, Highway 221 Access. It has tent camping as well as RV camping available as well as a nice bath house with showers. Each participant is responsible for thier own reservations which can be made online through the following link, which also has lots of other useful information about the park. Be sure to reserve at the 221 Access as there are other campsites within the park.

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/neri/main.php

We arrive on a Friday, set up camp, sneak in some fishing...whatever. We float on Saturday and Sunday. In the past we have floated two separate sections and planned all of our own logistics for putting in/taking out/ ferrying participants/leaving vehicles and trailers at take outs etc. This was fine when we had a dozen or so participants but last year it became quite the chore with over 20 vessels and without the extra effort and cost by folks like Echerd, Big Dave, Froggy Waters and others it would have been catastrophic. I don't want to impose on those guys this year so I contacted New River Outfitters (the campground/canoe rental place next to the 221 high bridge) to see how much they would charge to haul us from the Kings Creek Access (take out) back to the 221 Access each day. For 22 vessels they quoted me a price of $90! Basically for $5 per day per vessel ($10/vessel for the two day trip) we don't have to deal with the hassle and cost of gas running trucks/trailers all over the mountains. Gives us more time to socialize back at camp! So that's what I plan on doing this year.

Camp Shot from last year...Gary (Froggy Waters) pouring me a much needed cup of coffee early one morning and Eddie (yakattack flyflinger) in the background. I raided the sausage and eggs while I was there too!

This year we will be floating from the campground to Kings Creek Access on both days. This section of the river has fewer other recreational boaters and better fishing. It allows folks to drop their vessels in the water to depart whenever they choose right from the campground. The only caveat will be to be sure to be at the take out by the designated time so as not to miss the ride back (attn: Raymond) :)

And of course we have our Day 1 'Big Fish' fishing contest. On day 1 take a pic of a nice fish and bring the image to the official 'weigh in' back at camp. As in years past I will serve as the Judge for the contest. All judging decisions will be final. I take Mastercard and Visa.:rolleyes: Bring a lure or two to put in the prize pot. Last year there were a number of contestants disqualified for not heeding various rules and clauses in the 'Official Red X Angler Tournament Rule Book'. Here's an example whereby I disqualified myself for not following Section 22, Subsection 18(c)-.01 regarding framing a photo so as to make the fish appear larger.

Here were the contest winners, who got to split the very large prize package

So let the planning begin!! If you've got pics from past events feel free to post them as we go!

The event will be held on July 27,28,29. The attendance list is attatched. (Updated as of 6/1/12)

Cedwards 1
bigdave 1
h2ohhh (w/dave)
raymondwells 1
froggy waters 4
froggette waters (inc. in Froggy)
dbeam 1
echerd (and family) 4
catawba 1
papadave (and family) 1
pondhopper 1
rockhopper 1
luckyone 1
yakattackflyflinger 1
abert43 (dad and maybe anortnc7)
mofish (almost forgot) 1
Fisherman Bill 1
RouseD 1
Kelly 1
plowboy (and daughter)
Drewyakker 1
Fanapoe (and friend) 1
Jared 1
Southfork Smallies
Johnyaksjax 1
Ncmtnguy 1
Finstalker 1
Masterblaster8948 1

See less See more
#95 ·
Thanks for the the room i will get some reservations made i was just informed this weekend about the thread so i need to go back and ready it before i start asking questions to see what i will neeed to do to help out I look foward to seeing the old(regular) faces (wasn't a hit at H's age although?:)) it seems in conversation at the meet and greet this weekend that there were going to be a little bit of a format change so I will review and get up to speed

#101 ·
I thought Eddie was promoted from his position of 'Chief Chef' to 'Executive Director of Kayak Consulting and Fly Fishing LLC' a couple of years ago. Except for when I raid his campsite for breakfast of course!

#102 ·
Dennis,

If sharing a cabin doesn't work out I'm sure Big Dave won't mind you staying with us in his camper. It's got real beds but I can't promise you will sleep well with all the snoring going on. Here's a few more photo's.

Big Daves Best Western (NC) Inn. Big Dave owns some acreage near West Jefferson.

Hangin' around at camp.

Doesn't look like much in this pic but if you don't stay river left against the bank on this rapid you will probably be unceremoniously discharged into about 8 feet of water. And you can't see it until it's too late....you have to listen for it. It's pretty loud. Big Dave and I have run this river for 15 years and we almost made the mistake last year. You just can't see the 'drop off' as you are coming down the river. Somebody always takes a nice smallie in the pool below.

#105 ·
It's doubtful me & the wife will be able to make this trip with so much going on, but I have absolutely no doubts those who attend will have an absolute blast! Someone catch a smallie for me will ya? :p while you guys are floatin, I'll be out somewhere with the youngins pretending to show them how to fish some more, but I hope you all tear up the water :)

#106 ·
Alright so this is going to be set in stone the dates July 27-28-29 and if you only going to fish the river 1 day where do we meet? Also as for the map of the New River, can anyone pin point the rapids and the fishing holes for people that never fished the New River before? What is the count of fishing persons are going to there and then day fishing persons need to have a parking spot? What type of lures and what is the best weight for anchors? So this what to expect from in experience fishing persons could ask and I'm one of them, and I'll be in a canoe. The same one I used on the Dan River last year. Thank one photo of a person fishing out of the canoe, he could pass off as my twin brother. I had to take a double take when I seen this photo on post page 3 or 4. I will try to make this trip but it will be a day of fishing! Can't make a promise due to being in the hospital and hoping after I get a test coming up that no surgery will be coming up!

#108 ·
Dennis RunningBear,

The official floats themselves will occur on the morning of the 28th and again on the 29th. The put in location is the New River State Park 221 Access, the entrance to which is 1/4 mile past the high bridge on Hwy. 221 on your left. There is plenty of room to park in the lot at the bottom of the hill next to the river. Folks will put in at thier leisure but I'm guessing most will be putting in between 7 and 8 a.m.

I could point out a few of the rapids if I knew how to cut and paste Google Earth, but I don't! There are no really severe rapids though, just a few that require maneuvering and proper lines as you approach. The worst one (pictured earlier and probably still only falls within the Class 1-2 range) will be pretty obvious as you approach it because it's pretty loud and there's a lot of current above the rapid. It's about 4 miles downstream of the put in. If you just make sure to hug the bank on river left through the standing waves you will be fine. Don't let your eyes decieve you on the approach as this is the only way to run that particular rapid in a canoe. I have seen some lucky kayakers run it through the middle but that's only because they saw it too late to do anything else. I think Luckyone actually spun around on a slightly submerged rock one year and dropped into the pool backwards without spilling. Irrespective of your experience you probably should get there around 7 and follow some others who know the river just to be on the safe side.

#115 ·
Done Mo.

I also just e-mailed New River Outfitters with our updated plans and dates. The total cost for them to bring us from Kings Creek back to 221 each day will be predicated on the number of vessels we have. But it should run about $10 per vessel total for both days which is a bargain. The week before the event I will give them the final tally. I'll collect the money on Friday night in camp and bring it to New River Outfitters on Saturday morning. At least that's the plan at this point.

#118 ·
You should have entered that smallie in the contest so I could have found a reason to disqualify you as well.

I like that last pic. First one I've seen of the approach to the rapid I've been talking about. Only a cool customer would take a pic from there. That's me perched on the rock at the bottom taking pics of folks coming thru it.

#121 ·
Darrell, I have to disagree with you quote because Luck will have to be real good to un-throne Raymond with the experience. After all the Smallies is very different from catching Large Mouth Bass, Cats and Carp. We have already seen the results of the king! Not saying John ( FishNCary ) isn't a good fishermen, because he does have good skill's in fishing.

#122 ·
All it takes is one nice fish and anyone can catch it. FishNCary knows more about fishing as a young man than I ever hope to know. If Mookie decides to come on this trip my money would be on him. As far as catching smallies on a river whenever I'm fishing with him he manages to catch the biggest smallie of the day....just saying.

#130 ·
don't invite Mack ;)
.....just sayin'

I may be able to make the trip and definately will chase bronze with a bunch of you guys this year. Thanks for the compliment Ray, and you are right that anyone can catch the big un', alls it takes is one cast to the right spot! Whatever you do don't throw white grubs or chartruse spinnerbaits though ;)

#123 ·
I can see it now the classic case of youth and cunning vs. wisdom and experience. (cue Hollywood background music, something by Rossini or Wagner) as the title scrolls by on the screen,

THE BATTLE FOR DOMINATION OF THE SOUTH FORK HAS BEGUN.

Then cue the deep voiced announcer, " In the quiet, peaceful tranquility of the Americas oldest river, unfolds the clash for dominance, two powerful champions, each MASTERS of their domain........ Prepare yourself for spine-tingling action as the drama unfolds before you".

A pregnant pause as pictures from Ray's and fishincary's post scroll by on the screen then

"Who will win, who will be master of the river,? Can Ray's hard charging style continue to weather the test of time, against a younger, but equally fierce, and tenacious competitor. Stay tuned in THIS WILL BE ONE YOU DON"T WANT TO MISS".

Then break for a commercial.

Darrell

#124 ·
Darrell, you're going to get H2o started up with this. lol. Looking forward to see what he will say.

Anyone know who won the grand prize either on the 1st, or 2nd NRSP trip. Can't remember which, but it was yours truly, and I am probably the worst of the worst fishermen in the group. I have been told before that a blind mule can find an ear of corn sometimes. My winning was before the new rules came into effect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.