Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th Annual 2012 New River Smallmouth Trip Planning Thread

Alright so this is going to be set in stone the dates July 27-28-29 and if you only going to fish the river 1 day where do we meet? Also as for the map of the New River, can anyone pin point the rapids and the fishing holes for people that never fished the New River before? What is the count of fishing persons are going to there and then day fishing persons need to have a parking spot? What type of lures and what is the best weight for anchors? So this what to expect from in experience fishing persons could ask and I'm one of them, and I'll be in a canoe. The same one I used on the Dan River last year. Thank one photo of a person fishing out of the canoe, he could pass off as my twin brother. I had to take a double take when I seen this photo on post page 3 or 4. I will try to make this trip but it will be a day of fishing! Can't make a promise due to being in the hospital and hoping after I get a test coming up that no surgery will be coming up!
    Abert43, dbeam, Echerd, RaymondWells, and RouseD like this.

Dennis iyankapi matho' ( RunningBear )
    Red X Angler

Dennis, it will be better for our logistics experts to give you an answer on this one. Hope you can make it. I'd love to meet you. Prayers that your test will come out favorable, and that no surgery is needed.
    dbeam, and Dennis Running Bear like this.

RED X ANGLER

Dennis RunningBear,

The official floats themselves will occur on the morning of the 28th and again on the 29th. The put in location is the New River State Park 221 Access, the entrance to which is 1/4 mile past the high bridge on Hwy. 221 on your left. There is plenty of room to park in the lot at the bottom of the hill next to the river. Folks will put in at thier leisure but I'm guessing most will be putting in between 7 and 8 a.m.

I could point out a few of the rapids if I knew how to cut and paste Google Earth, but I don't! There are no really severe rapids though, just a few that require maneuvering and proper lines as you approach. The worst one (pictured earlier and probably still only falls within the Class 1-2 range) will be pretty obvious as you approach it because it's pretty loud and there's a lot of current above the rapid. It's about 4 miles downstream of the put in. If you just make sure to hug the bank on river left through the standing waves you will be fine. Don't let your eyes decieve you on the approach as this is the only way to run that particular rapid in a canoe. I have seen some lucky kayakers run it through the middle but that's only because they saw it too late to do anything else. I think Luckyone actually spun around on a slightly submerged rock one year and dropped into the pool backwards without spilling. Irrespective of your experience you probably should get there around 7 and follow some others who know the river just to be on the safe side.
    dbeam, and Dennis Running Bear like this.

Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.

John, can't remember what time the gate is opened to get into the 221 access park. Is it at 7 or 8 AM?
    RED X ANGLER

Quote Originally Posted by RouseD View Post
    John, can't remember what time the gate is opened to get into the 221 access park. Is it at 7 or 8 AM?
    Good point Dennis. I forgot it doesn't open until 8 officially. But it's usually opened by 7:30 or 7:45. Thanks for reminding me!
    dbeam, Dennis Running Bear, and RouseD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by h2ohhh View Post
    Good point Dennis. I forgot it doesn't open until 8 officially. But it's usually opened by 7:30 or 7:45. Thanks for reminding me!
    That's what happens to Old Coots, they forget !
    dbeam, h2ohhh, mookie, and RaymondWells like this.

Wasn't going to say that this time, but I actually thought about it. Thanks MO. lol
    dbeam, Echerd, MOFISH, and RaymondWells like this.

RED X ANGLER

Quote Originally Posted by MOFISH View Post
    That's what happens to Old Coots, they forget !
    Let me post the current attendee list as well as the 'possible attendees' before I FORGET. I will keep this updated as we get closer....if I remember.

Folks who always come or sound like they're going to:

Cedwards 1
    bigdave 1
    h2ohhh (w/dave)
    raymondwells 1
    froggy waters 4
    froggette waters
    dbeam 1
    echerd (and family) 4
    catawba 1
    papadave (and family) 1
    pondhopper
    rockhopper
    lewisfishing 1
    luckyone 1
    yakattackflyflinger 1
    abert43 (dad and maybe anortnc7)
    dennisrunningbear (maybe one day only)
    mofish (almost forgot) 1
    Fisherman Bill 1
    RouseD 1
    plowboy (and daughter)
    Drewyakker 1
    Fanapoe (and friend)
    Jared
    Southfork Smallies
    Stevefishes
    Johnyaksjax
    Ncmtnguy 1

The non-committed (who will need to be committed after hanging out with this bunch)

supracerxtreme (and wife)
    finstalker (definate if work allows)
    johnyaksjax (maybe buddy from Michigan too)
    fishincary (might even outfish Raymondwells)
    yakdevil
    Lucky Doug likes this.

h2o, add Fisherman Bill to the list. I'm sure he will be coming with me...
    RaymondWells likes this.

Done Mo.

I also just e-mailed New River Outfitters with our updated plans and dates. The total cost for them to bring us from Kings Creek back to 221 each day will be predicated on the number of vessels we have. But it should run about $10 per vessel total for both days which is a bargain. The week before the event I will give them the final tally. I'll collect the money on Friday night in camp and bring it to New River Outfitters on Saturday morning. At least that's the plan at this point.
    dbeam, Lucky Doug, and RaymondWells like this.

John, unless something drastic happens to this old coot, you can count me in on the commited. At present, Mrs Rouse D isn't planning on attending this year, so I am planning to stay at Shatley Springs (resort) lol. Haven't got eveything worked out on that as yet, but will do so soon. Thanks for the attendee list.
    dbeam, and RaymondWells like this.

RED X ANGLER

Red X Angler
    Let's go FISHIN'....

You should have entered that smallie in the contest so I could have found a reason to disqualify you as well.

I like that last pic. First one I've seen of the approach to the rapid I've been talking about. Only a cool customer would take a pic from there. That's me perched on the rock at the bottom taking pics of folks coming thru it.

Raymond looks like he had his clown hat on... Someone behind him on a float. Lol
    Abert43, dbeam, RaymondWells, and RouseD like this.

Red X Angler
    Let's go FISHIN'....

I think your right John fishincary is the best bet to unseat Ray from the throne.

Darrell
    RaymondWells likes this.

Red X Angler

Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast