Product: FISHERman PFD

Default FISHERman PFD

Product Manufacturer: Stohlquist
    Fisherman Vest (#5226)
    Ready and loaded, this new fish hunting vest is the ideal PFD for the sit-on-top paddler.

Comfort and water safety with all the necessities, close at hand. Put to work, while you play, the FISHERMAN provides excellent cockpit management with places for the little things that could end up in your seat, or overboard. Ready to load...new features include an array of pockets with anchor-points, front zip entry closure, padded neoprene shoulders, plus new ultra-soft and environmentally friendly Gaia™ flotation foam.

The Drawbridge...dual front-mounted tool pouch pockets have protective EVA stiffened outer shells to protect pocket contents when re-boarding the kayak from “over the rim”.
    • EVA inner platform - is a fold-down work surface.
    • Velour (hook & loop style) -inner lining attachment surface.
    • Sized to fit small plastic lure boxes.
    • Inside accessory pockets and stowage for tools.

Outer Platform....like an angling vest, the FISHERMAN vest has mounting locations for tippets, retractor(s), nippers, leader-line, hemastats, and pliers.

Features:
    • Choose low-vis Moss color or hi-vis mango with 3M reflective.
    • Open sides for ventilation.
    • Neoprene padded shoulders and lower back waistband.
    • 1-1/2" webbing belt with dual side adjustments.
    • Multiple pockets, all with drainage.
    • High-back flotation rides above back rest.
    • Adjustable 1-1/2" webbing shoulder and side adjustments.
    • Cinch harness adjustment for zero ride-up.
    • New PVC-free Gaia foam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stohlquist_Fisherman.jpg‎ 
Views:	26 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	37980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stohlquist_Fisherman_detail.jpg‎ 
Views:	17 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	37981  

Recommended: yes
    Cons: Rigid pockets are too big for my pliers
    Pros: Comfortable & Versatile
    This vest is very comfortable to paddle in, and easy to get on and off. I wear mine all the time, zipped up, snug -- as though it might need to do its job at any instant It does not impede my cast or my paddle stroke, and is certainly no hotter to wear than any other conventional paddler's PFD. I make a point of wearing quick-dry sunproof clothing in hot weather, that helps, regardless of the PFD.

There are lots more places to hold stuff and lash stuff than my previous PFD, the Stohlquist aSea. It was much easier to lash my rescue knife to the shoulder strap than on the aSea. I still have not decided how best to use all those pockets, though. The pockets have loops inside as though to carry pliers, so I bought a good Browning pliers, but it's too big for those loops. So it sits inside the pocket.

I haven't yet put the "drawbridge" pockets to much use... They look like more of a fly-fishing attraction... I also have not yet tried re-entering my kayak with this PFD -- they say the rigid covers over the pocket avoid the contents snagging when you come back over the gunwale.

How much did it cost ?

I actually won mine at the '07 KFNC Meet'n'Greet. They appear to sell for $80-$100 or thereabouts.

Price Paid: 84
    Recommended: yes
    Cons: A bit hot on warmer days
    Pros: Very comfortable while paddling and fishing. Nice high back floation that doesn't interfere with the yak seat.
    I've been using this PFD all summer and really like it. It's extremely comfortable while in the yak paddling or fishing. The pockets are great. Enough room for small gear and my water proof camera. Love the high back flotation since it doesn't interfere with the yak seat. Very easy on-off. Adjustments are very easy due to the way the straps are designed. It does get a bit warmer than other PFDs on hot days though.