NC Angler Forums banner

Fishing around Asheville

22K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  gambusia 
#1 ·
I'll be spending some time around Asheville in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions on rivers or lakes to fish for bass? Any lure suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
If your bringing a boat Lake James is just down the mountain from here takes about 45 minutes or so.
If you are pond fishing or river fishing there are quite a few choices,
One of my favorites that is around is fishing the French Broad River for smallies it's not well known but we have a great smallie fisherie here and we also have some big ol honkin muskie in the FB, If you go where the Laurel and FB come together you have a shot at smallie and big browns in the same water.
When you call Hunter Banks ask for Shane he is a pretty good small mouth fisherman and probably the most knowledgable bass guy there.
You may want to also call Kenny Palmer at One Fly Outfitters in Black Mountain, he was the head guide at Hunter Banks for years till he opened his own place and he is probably the best fisherman I have ever fished with 828-669-6939. tell them Paul Nelson told you to give a call.
I'm somewhat new to bass fishing myself and believe it or not the best advice I got on lures, techniques, etc came frome the guy at Dick's here in Asheville I gave him free reign with the tackle monkey to help me set the box up and he actuually made me put some stuff back saved me some money. It was nice I only spent 200$ instead of 250$. His suggestions were clear concise and so far have been dead on.

P.S. I like the name, I'm an ex Army Tuba and French Horn Player

#4 ·
Hello Paul, I'm Gary, and I don't believe I have seen someone use that term in years. I refer to "Concise." I had an old college prof who used the term, "precise and concise" all the time. Nice of you to bring back a fond memory for me. Thanks. I wold love to get up that way sometime and go after some smallies, muskies, and walleye. If I make the trip are willing to go show me how and where?

#5 ·
Gary I would be happy to. I have a 17'6' proline I take down to Lake james and I'm still figuring out how to bass fish from a boat, my understanding is that there is a great walleye fisherie on James also. Ive also been told that Lake Adger has a great muskie fisherie. As for doing the river for smallies that is a wading situation and I love to do that usually take my 8 wt but never catch anything big enough to warrant all that rod so thats why I think I'll get a 5wt and see if that will work.

#6 ·
Paul, 5wt is perfect for bass fishing. I have used them for years, since I was a little kid and love catchin'em on the stick. Actually, I love to catch anything on the fly rod more than anything else. I didn't think about the smallies being in the river, but I am sure they prefer that to lake water. I used to fish on the Rappahanock above Fredericksburg for smallies doing a tube float back in the day. I have read about Lake James and I understand there is a lot of pressure and the fish are hard to catch. Beautiful place though, and I'll try just about anything. You let me know when you're free to go and I'll make tracks. I appreciate your willingness and your participation on this site. I have learned a great deal and will continue to do so.

#7 ·
French Broad River in Asheville has smallmouth, largemouth, muskellunge, flat bullheads, carp, suckers, occasional trout, rock bass, sunfishes, black crappie and others.

Someone once caught a striped bass out of there.

Lake Julian in South Asheville is stocked with channel catfish and also has plenty of sunfishes and blue tilapia plus crappie and largemouth bass. I've seen some big bass in Lake Julian and you can rent boats. Can't remember what that costs though. I just fish from the bank.

The Swannanoa River is stocked with trout from Black Mountain to the Wal-Mart in east Asheville. Good access can be found at the old Lake Craig Dam at the WNC Nature Center. You can wade from there downstream to harder to reach places along NC 81. May even catch a smallmouth bass or two.

Beaver Lake in north Asheville requires a 5 dollar permit but the lake has largemouth bass and big channel catfish. Never really fished there though.

Lake Louise is in Weaverville but I have never fished there. Supposedly has largemouth and bluegill. And I think you need a permit. Not too sure on that. Maybe somebody who knows will chime in.

#8 ·
Also forgot about Lake Powhatan in the national forest.

It was dredged this winter and I believe the fish were removed. It was been refilled and is regularly stocked with trout.

There were bluegill and largemouth also in the lake before dredging and they might have been restocked.

Main reason to fish Powhatan is the nice fishing pier and stocked trout

Fish nightcrawlers, corn or salmon eggs off the pier for trout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.