Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody fish Cane Creek?

Default Anybody fish Cane Creek?

Hey guys, might be making a trip to Cane Creek before too long. I know this lake is a trophy lake but what should I expect? If anybody has fished Cane Creek recently please let me know how to fish it. i.e. techniques, presentations, colors, etc.....

Thanks!
    ayimak likes this.

Hey, been there a couple times just from the bank, never caught anything unfortunately but haven't spent more than 45 min total there.. My neighbor says he gets em from a dock there. I know a lot of people that have boats that are really successful though.

Be prepared for sticker shock. I called them the other day and it seems like they charge to get in, put your boat in, and fishing permit. Total - $10 per day. The alternative is an annual pass.
    ayimak likes this.

Red X Angler
    Guide 119 Camo

I fished there several times while I was in school at Chapel Hill. A pretty lake to fish. When the bass weren't in a biting mood I got skunked (at least once if I recall). My best luck was during the spawn throwing Senkos and lizards shallow.

If you aren't set on the bass, you might consider getting some crickets or worms (there used to be a bait shop a mile or 2 up the road toward Graham) and bream fishing. I caught a delicious mess of bream there in late April. This was 6 or 7 years ago but I still remember what a fun morning it was. Lots of fish with some real nice ones mixed in.

Good luck.

Blog Entries

Better clarify which Cane Creek - the one near Waxhaw which is a state or county park managed as a "trophy" bass lake, or the one in Orange county near Carrboro, managed by the water district with limited, fee-based access and seasonal fishing which winds up being a really nice fishery.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Fished it last year and got skunked. cost me about 12 bucks to launch and fish two people. Then got stuck in the mud behind the island up lake. Won't be going back.
    Every cast is an endeavor of hope.

Hey guys, I fished Cane Creek today. I avoided the skunk but not by much. Caught one little dink all day. My uncle is from around Waxhaw and says he has caught some pigs out of there. Don't know if theres a certain pattern out there or what but I sure couldn't find em today. Caught the dink on a fluke right off the bank. Water was 57ish all day so I figured they'd be chasin bait but they didn't like nothin i was showing them. But I reckon thats fishin. Not my lake of choice but

Different Cane Creek than the one I know....

wtjordan84 : apparently there is two Cane Creeks.......i didnt know that. I was referring to the one in Waxhaw. Sorry bout that.

I have a few times, haven't caught much. Haven't seen/heard other people catching much either. I think it may not be quite as good as they say.

Derek

i haven't had much success, last time i went was summer of 2010 fishing from the dock learning to fish a baitcaster. I hooked up with a dink but lost it. a guy about 200 yards from the dock was burning a white spinnerbait and KILLING them. catching a 1-2lb fish every other cast for about 30 minutes straight. also saw a guy pull up unload his livewell to put the fish back and had 3 fish over 5lbs and the other two were about 3 and a half to 4, have seen a skeleton there of one that had to have gone 8lb from somebody who kept it ate it and discarded the carcass (assuming by the way some of the bones were busted up) so the fish are there
    2014 Freshwater Fish Total: 181 Bass:101 Bass 5lb+: 9 Biggest: 9.25lb bass/20lb flathead
    2014 Saltwater Fish Total: 260 Biggest: 40# Wahoo

Crappie fishing is good, but is hard to locate them at least ??????I found it kind of difficult ..cane creek res. near carrboro
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.

I might take my boys there Saturday...
    Red X Angler

Lots of pressure on a very small lake with little structure. I know the ranger... I don't think it's as good as it might have been years ago.

Cane Creek Near Waxhaw used to be a quality trophy lake, not so good any more. To much pressure, not enough control over the fish being removed.
    "Everybody has got to believe in something, I believe I'll go fishing."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast