NC Angler Forums banner

Anybody fish Cane Creek?

22K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  yakattackabass 
#1 ·
Hey guys, might be making a trip to Cane Creek before too long. I know this lake is a trophy lake but what should I expect? If anybody has fished Cane Creek recently please let me know how to fish it. i.e. techniques, presentations, colors, etc.....

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hey, been there a couple times just from the bank, never caught anything unfortunately but haven't spent more than 45 min total there.. My neighbor says he gets em from a dock there. I know a lot of people that have boats that are really successful though.

#4 ·
I fished there several times while I was in school at Chapel Hill. A pretty lake to fish. When the bass weren't in a biting mood I got skunked (at least once if I recall). My best luck was during the spawn throwing Senkos and lizards shallow.

If you aren't set on the bass, you might consider getting some crickets or worms (there used to be a bait shop a mile or 2 up the road toward Graham) and bream fishing. I caught a delicious mess of bream there in late April. This was 6 or 7 years ago but I still remember what a fun morning it was. Lots of fish with some real nice ones mixed in.

Good luck.

#7 ·
Hey guys, I fished Cane Creek today. I avoided the skunk but not by much. Caught one little dink all day. My uncle is from around Waxhaw and says he has caught some pigs out of there. Don't know if theres a certain pattern out there or what but I sure couldn't find em today. Caught the dink on a fluke right off the bank. Water was 57ish all day so I figured they'd be chasin bait but they didn't like nothin i was showing them. But I reckon thats fishin. Not my lake of choice but

#11 ·
i haven't had much success, last time i went was summer of 2010 fishing from the dock learning to fish a baitcaster. I hooked up with a dink but lost it. a guy about 200 yards from the dock was burning a white spinnerbait and KILLING them. catching a 1-2lb fish every other cast for about 30 minutes straight. also saw a guy pull up unload his livewell to put the fish back and had 3 fish over 5lbs and the other two were about 3 and a half to 4, have seen a skeleton there of one that had to have gone 8lb from somebody who kept it ate it and discarded the carcass (assuming by the way some of the bones were busted up) so the fish are there

#16 ·
Yeah, used to be great but the year of the big drought when Little River Lake in Durham was closed due to extremely low water levels a lot of the fishermen from there went to Cane Creek. A year or two ago, I heard someone told a game warden there he was worried that not enough fish were being harvested and the game warden told him not to worry, that he had never seen as many fish come out of a lake as he had that day. I know it isn't fair but I can't help wishing there was a rule that you had to release any fish over 5 lbs. :-/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.