NC Angler Forums banner

The great swamp muskie round up !!!

9K views 51 replies 16 participants last post by  RouseD 
#1 ·
We want to kick off the Bowfin fishin at Core Creek (off HWY 55 between Kinston and New Bern) DATE 4-21-12 and you are invited!!You don't have to be a fly fisherman to attend! Kayaks are not necessary ...john boats work well in this area too!! If you want to learn fly fishing or tying this is a great time for hands on instructions! We will have a class on tying and fly casting . The Bows will have good opportunity to warm up and get active...they are not early risers.For those who want to try for Bass and other game fish , the Neuse is right around the corner just looking for a well placed fly!! We are looking for a 8:30 to 9:00 start. If anyone wants to get a jump start on the Bass...then go ahead and start early but please be back at the ramp by 8:30 for the meet and greet plus the photo group shot. Gills will be up too!! We need to get a handle on numbers to see about other activities. Get your date books and pencil in the date for Swamp Muskies and come on down!!!

Here are some pics from last yr.

See less See more
#16 ·
Done a little bit of scouting out some new places to try for bowfin this weekend with Matt and we found a few promising spots but somehow we ended up at Core Creek to check it out. The water is still way up and we didnt see any fish surfacing. We fished from the bank for a while with maybe only one bite. Hopefully some of that water will be gone but if not we'll still find some hungry donkeys. Brad

The pic from Sunday at the launch.

#18 ·
Allen i am going to be leaving on saturday to head up to Minnesota. i am going to try to get home in time for this trip! if i cant make it i am going to try to go bowfin fishing on when i get home. I will call you as soon as i find out when i will be home!

#20 ·
Hey guys
I've fished here with Brad and Matt in the yaks and there are some of the bigest bowfin I have seen on the internet. I would like to fish this event but, I will be stuck in a jon boat due to an auto wreck last month and can't yak yet. As Allen stated in an earlier post the best Bowfin fishermen in Eastern NC will be here so even if you don't catch one you will see pics of some hogs that come out of this area.
Sea-ya
Cheek

#21 ·
The water is dropping!! Rouse did a recon and said the fish were rising and the water still high but dropping! All we need is some warmer water temps and if the weatherman is right we might just some highs in the upper 80's!! I will do a recon in the middle of the week !!

cfrewilly...Bring your jon boat , looking forward to seeing you!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.